Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Needed: Lawyer advice

jaxskins

Just want to know whether I should contact a Lawyer for an issue that has happened.

First off My house was struck by a direct Lightning hit this past sunday. Of course it fried a few things in my house TV's, PC,s etc..

Here is the issue I have been told by Electricians, DirectV, and a neighbor that the siding company I had out here 2 years ago cut my ground wire to the phone box that is on the outside of the house which exploded from the Lightning hit and caused excessive damage.

Should I see a lawyer about possibly getting the siding company to pay for anything my insurance company won't and the insurance deductable?

thanks for any info

I don't have any specific situation like this but you have to be able to prove without a doubt that it was the siding company that did this.

They will probably deny it so besides your neighbors "word" what other proof might you have?

Hopefully something to avoid a he said she said sort of situation. Best of luck with everything hope it's not a huge hassle to replace everything.

If it is out side of the home it is the electric company's fault and they will have to repair the ground wire fault and replace all of the damaged items in the home. It happened to my parents and they got all new electronics in their home. EVERYTHING was replaced at no cost to them OR their insurance.

If it is out side of the home it is the electric company's fault and they will have to repair the ground wire fault and replace all of the damaged items in the home. It happened to my parents and they got all new electronics in their home. EVERYTHING was replaced at no cost to them OR their insurance.

Well the ground wire was from the Phone box that was cut not the Electric company's box.

The biggest problem has to have been that this was 2 years ago. It is going to be really hard to prove.

Ding Ding Ding........completely agree

That really sucks, but as someone else said - maybe it's the phone company's problem then. It's their equipment attached to your house, right? That seems like a safety hazard if their equipment wasn't properly grounded

The biggest problem has to have been that this was 2 years ago. It is going to be really hard to prove.

Maybe not. Florida Statute 489 (that pertains to construction/contract law) provides that contractors are responsible for "Latent defects" for a period of 15 years automatically. Latent meaning hidden. The example given was the use of non galvanized nails used to hold up exterior drywall on the ceiling of a car port. The nails corrode several years later, fail, and the drywall falls from the ceiling. That contractor failed to use the proper (approved) fasteners and is responsible for repairs and damages.

Surely this siding contractors could be deemed responsible. The key to proving this would be the report from a good home inspector or a forensic engineer that are experienced in cases involving litigation.

Archived