Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

iPhone 4

hail2theskins3

99% of the presser was "Hey, other smartphones have their own death grips as well."

I just read about it on Gizmodo and Engadget.

I have a BlackBerry and I can say that no matter how I hold my phone, I don't lose service, espcially if I hold it the way I talk on it.

I do like that Apple is sending out free bumpers, but why only until Septermber 30th? Are they making a hardware upgrade after that? And will the new white iPhone 4 have the same problems? Seems like Apple is taking the easy way out with the free bumpers and not really trying to address the problem.

This is such a joke.

No responsibility was taken in this presser.....pretty pathetic.

I kind of see it that way too. But if such a small percentage of people have this problem, is there really such a big problem? And if having your $300 phone in a case will eliminate the problem, I think it is an okay fix. I would like to know if there truly is a design flaw to the phone. But the fact that there is not many more dropped calls per 100 calls is truly astounding considering how so many people said they were having this problem.

It isn't a surprise that other phones have the same issues, but the difference is their antennas are not exposed like on the iPhone.

Overall, I think Apple did a good thing for its customers, but I only see this as a partial fix. They now know where they need to improve the most on their next iPhone...in 11 months :ols:

Short summary article on the conference:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/technologylive/post/2010/07/apples-jobs-on-iphone-4-were-not-perfect/1

Apple CEO Steve Jobs says all iPhone users will receive a free case to help alleviate reception issues with their popular smartphones.

For users still unsatisfied with the fix, Jobs says they have until September 30 to return the phone for a full refund.

"We're not perfect, and phones aren't perfect either, but we want to make all of our users happy," Apple CEO Steve Jobs said.

Friday's announcement follows a recent Consumer Reports blog post in which they said they could not recommend the iPhone 4 because of problems with the antenna located on the bottom left of the device.

The return rate for iPhone 4 is 1.7%, compared to 6% for its predecessor the 3GS, Jobs said. Only 0.55% of iPhone 4 owners have called in about reception issues, he said.

Jobs also said the reception issues aren't unique to iPhone 4, using the BlackBerry Bold 9700 and HTC Droid Eris as examples of other smartphones that experience significant drops in signal strength when held a certain way.

You guys know I haven't been affected by the reception issues and haven't been scorning Apple like some people but I do think it's cool they're doing this.

I'm still going to take a free case from them. :silly:

Does anyone know how this is going to work? Are these things going to just be automatically mailed to our homes if we bought them online? Or do we just walk to the AT&T store?

I think they are going to have something on the apple webpage where you can sign up for a free bumper. I assume all you really will need is your serial number.

Lol, Apple products certainly aren't perfect. In fact, Apple software has more bugs and security vulnerabilities than any other software company's (MUCH MORE than Microsoft):

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/apple-leads-the-pack-for-ballooning-bug-count/8877

I always laugh when Mac owners talk about how much more secure their computers are, because it is quite the opposite. The only reason Macs don't get viruses is because nobody buys the stupid things so hackers don't care.

You did read the article right? They are referencing the apple "Culprits" as iTunes and Quicktime. That is not the underlying OS, they are applications that run on MAC AND Windows.

You may want to do some research about the number of Security Vulnerabilities of the Windows OS and the Apple OSX. To compare apples to apples. No pun intended. :ols:

There are PLENTY of Viruses for the Windows OS that people have to keep their Virus definitions updated constantly for. There are ZERO Viruses in the wild that affect OSX. There may be a few Trojans. But someone would have to be stupid enough to enter the admin password to have it get installed. Unlike Windows where you can have things installed without even knowing it.

Why would I do that? I am not a destructive person.

It is good you aren't destructive. Very noble. However, even if you were, you couldn't send him a Virus for the MAC, since there aren't any, as of yet.

Now if he was running Windows you could send him a simple PNG file that could do all sorts of nasty things, without him even noticing.

Good read. Though the one thing missing from that was one mention of Apple's OSX. M$ Windows was mentioned plenty of times.

In fact it looks like everything mentioned in there including the Apple Applications are running on a Micro$oft Operating System.

I have been able to make my bars drop giving it the death grip. Also, when I have a really good signal I can't make it drop at all.

However, it doesn't affect me as I don't hold my phone to talk. I always use my blue tooth or ear buds to talk. When in the car I don't even have to touch the phone to make a call or answer a call. When walking around the phone is usually in my pocket when I am talking.

i honestly don't get why everyone is making such a big deal over this. I dont know anyone who uses an iphone without some sort of case or cover.

Me- I had two different cases and didn't like either one. so for the last 4-6 months I've used w/ no case and no issue until today when I dropped it and cracked the face. It works, but is like looking through a broken windshield.

I'm eligible for an upgrade and pondering if I should go with the 3gs for $99 or splurge and get the 4 for $199. is the extra hundred bucks worth it? From reading this thread I'm thinking so, but also thinking if I should hold out a few more months to see if a new version of the iphone 4 comes out.

Me- I had two different cases and didn't like either one. so for the last 4-6 months I've used w/ no case and no issue until today when I dropped it and cracked the face. It works, but is like looking through a broken windshield.

I'm eligible for an upgrade and pondering if I should go with the 3gs for $99 or splurge and get the 4 for $199. is the extra hundred bucks worth it? From reading this thread I'm thinking so, but also thinking if I should hold out a few more months to see if a new version of the iphone 4 comes out.

Yeah, I had a 3G and held off until the 4, since I heard it was coming and my contract wasn't up until March. Funny thing, the day before the preorder I dropped my 3G onto the wood floor and sure as **** it cracked the screen. I have dropped it a couple times and it finally shattered. Bad thing is wife shattered her's back in March, so we got her the 3GS. So she has to wait for the 4.

If I were you, maybe wait, if you can deal with the screen. I know it is a pain, at least mine was spiderwebed pretty good. Maybe they will update the antenna with some sort of shielding, but if you get one, you may want a case anyway for fear of another drop ;)

I love the 4, minus the antenna issue, but I never/rarely hold the phone to my face and usually use a head set. I love the new look and how it feels. Night and day over my 3G, which was a good bit slower than my wife's 3GS.

Still haven't gotten a case, may pick up a bumper since they are free. My buddy has a nice case for his that doesn't add much at all to the size.

the spiderweb cracking in mine is just the lower left corner, and two single lines across the sides- so really not too bad. I put a small piece of clear tape over the spiderwebbing, so small pieces don't start falling out, LOL.

I haven't seen news on a new version of the 4 coming in Sept, does anyone know if that is for sure? If so, I may just hold off til then. I can handle a couple months.

I haven't seen news on a new version of the 4 coming in Sept, does anyone know if that is for sure? If so, I may just hold off til then. I can handle a couple months.

I would wait until September to see if Apple announces a change in their case giveaway. I highly doubt they will be re-designing the phone until next June when the next one comes out. Then again, I could be wrong.

I was going to get the iphone 4 because i was eligible for an upgrade. But end up going with the HTC EVO 4G, because of AT&T, for the pass few months, I have been charged extra for sms texts, Sprint 69.99 plan is just killer.

The HTC EVO 4G, has been blazing fast as well, however its battery life is some what short (about 6 hours). However after getting an application killer, the battery life has doubled to about 10-12 hours.

I was going to get the iphone 4 because i was eligible for an upgrade. But end up going with the HTC EVO 4G, because of AT&T, for the pass few months, I have been charged extra for sms texts, Sprint 69.99 plan is just killer.

The HTC EVO 4G, has been blazing fast as well, however its battery life is some what short (about 6 hours). However after getting an application killer, the battery life has doubled to about 10-12 hours.

what was the app name?

Apple Finds Woman's Name Inappropriate

Customer Could Not Make An Appointment Online

ORANGE PARK, Fla. -- A woman said a website would not let her set an appointment to have her phone fixed because of her name.

Sandy Burdick said she never found her name funny before, but now she is looking at it differently.

"It's just a name, like any other name," she said.

Burdick said she was trying to get her Apple iPhone serviced and was told she had to make an appointment online. She logged on and filled out the form, but that's as far as she got.

"It stopped me. It said, 'You have put in an inappropriate word in this line.' I thought I must have a typo," she said.

The website told her the language was inappropriate. It would not accept her last name.

Burdick's son, Scott, called customer service to see if they could make the appointment. He said the woman helping him could not do anything.

"She paused for a second. She couldn't even put it in her system," he said.

Channel 4 spoke to an Apple representative on the phone Monday. The company said it is looking into the problem.

Click on the link for the full article

Heh, heh, heh, you said Dick!

butthead.gif

Archived