Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

iPhone 4

hail2theskins3

Ok awesome, thanks for the help SpringfieldSkins, I have not heard of any problems from friends or anyone I know with the phone until I read this damn article, guess just some more apple haters

Just don't touch the bottom left hand corner or you might cut off your reception. Either that or buy a case. The phone also has a proximity sensor issue that causes the touch screen to turn on while talking and people have been hanging up with their cheek. This phone clearly was not fully thought through and tested.

I'm left handed and have one. I can duplicate the problem by running my finger over that area. However, it's a $500-600 toy so it only makes sense to put a protective cover on it. But I've never had a dropped call with or without the case...although I don't use the phone as a phone very much.

i honestly don't get why everyone is making such a big deal over this. I dont know anyone who uses an iphone without some sort of case or cover.

I think people are upset because Apple doesn't seem interested in trying to fix it. They just say "hold it differently" or "buy a case". The least they could do is give out free cases to those having problems.

PR Experts: iPhone 4 Hardware Recall Is “Inevitable”

The iPhone 4 “Death Grip” will force Apple to issue a hardware recall, crisis management experts told CultofMac.com.

Apple will be forced to recall the iPhone 4 following Consumer Reports tests proving the “Death Grip” antenna issue is not software related, but a hardware flaw, PR experts say.

“Apple will be forced to do a recall of this product,” said Professor Matthew Seeger, an expert in crisis communication. “It’s critically important. The brand image is the most important thing Apple has. This is potentially devastating.”

Crisis communication experts contacted by CultofMac.com, including Chris Lehane, former Clinton White House ”Master of Disaster,” agree: the iPhone 4 reception issue presents a Toyota-style PR crisis for Apple, and the company must respond with a more meaningful fix than a software patch.

Apple acknowledged the issue earlier this month but said the problem was caused by the way the iPhone calculates signal strength. The company has promised to issue a software fix shortly. Many critics viewed Apple’s response as spin, which was compounded on Monday by a devastating report from Consumer Reports saying the reception issue is hardware related.

Toyota has been severely punished for its foot-dragging response to concerns about the safety of the Prius. Toyota recalled about 10 million vehicles worldwide and its reputation has been seriously damaged.

“Apple needs to put this fire out now,” said Dr. Larry Barton, a leading expert in crisis management and author of Crisis Leadership Now. “There has to be a military-like response to this issue. And we have not seen this kind of urgency.”

Dr. Barton said Apple should quickly issue a statement that either strongly refutes Consumer Reports‘ tests; or admit the issue and detail some kind of hardware fix. Saying the iPhone 4 has a problem calculating signal strength doesn’t cut it, Dr. Barton said.

“They’re response has been lackluster,” he said. “It’s been borderline irresponsible. They are in danger of betraying customers’ trust and hurting the brand, which is infinitely more valuable than any one product.”

Consumer Reports is a well-respected publication with a long history of being impartial and fair, Dr. Barton noted. “Their advisory is a serious one.” he said.

Dr. Barton is a former professor at Harvard Business School, Penn State, University of Nevada at Las Vegas and Boston College. He was Vice President of Crisis Management at Motorola from 1995 to 1999.

Crisis communications expert Chris Lehane, the “Master of Disaster,” a nickname earned managing bad PR for the Clinton White House, said Apple dug itself into a deep hole with its software fix response, which was obviously rushed.

“It’s the ‘half-loaf’ approach,” he said. “Apple was under tremendous pressure to respond. They pushed out some information that wasn’t really baked.”

Lehane said the statement only raised a red flag for organizations like Consumer Reports to take a close look at the issue.

“They found themselves in a hole, and they dug a deeper hole,” he said.

Lehane contrasted this to Apple’s response to the price drop of the original iPhone back in 2007. Faced with a backlash from early adopters, Steve Jobs quickly published an apology on Apple’s website and issued a refund.

“You acknowledge it; you address it; you deal with it,” Lehane said. “Apple must protect its brand image, its crown jewels, at all cost. Apple has enormous consumer loyalty but it depends on whether people believe it’s credible.”

To protect its image, Apple will have to recall the iPhone, said Prof. Seeger, who is chair of the Department of Communication at Wayne State University in Detroit.

Prof. Seeger said Apple will likely delay a recall, and may issue a temporary “patch” such as free bumpers. However, a recall is unavoidable to protect the brand, which is more valuable than the cost of a recall, Prof. Seeger said.

“Apple lives and dies by its reputation,” he said. “We pay a premium for its products. We expect them to operate on a premium level. It’s very unfortunate, but they will have no choice but to mount a recall.”

Apple didn’t respond to requests for comment.

http://www.itechspot.org/?p=178

Derp!

I think people are upset because Apple doesn't seem interested in trying to fix it. They just say "hold it differently" or "buy a case". The least they could do is give out free cases to those having problems.

This is incredibly frustrating imo and I don't even have an iPhone. Apple needs to step up and realize that even their products can have flaws. No one or no product is ever perfect. Even if Apple had to do a recall, at least it would be accepting to its customers that it has a product with flaws and it wants the customer to have the best possible product. Instead, they are acting like Albert Haynesworth, taking peoples money and doing jack **** to prove that their product is worth the money these folks paid.

I am left handed and only use my left hand for calls.

How legitimate is this issue?

I've had the iphone 4 for a few weeks now and I hold the phone in my left hand every time I talk. It's been a complete non-issue.

I have a case on mine which is supposed to remedy the "problem" but anyone that's dropping several hundred bucks on a phone should have it in a case anyway.

I wouldn't worry about it. It's been blown out of proportion.

The antenna issue has definitely been blown out of proportion, and isn't an issue for me especially since I bought one of their overpriced bumpers. However, the proximity sensor has been giving me all kinds of problems ever since I got the phone.

Whenever I'm on the phone and I move it slightly the screen will usually turn on and I'll usually end up either muting or hanging up on the person I'm talking to by pressing the screen with my cheek. I would say this is far more pressing than the antenna issue, and I can only hope that they come out with some sort of software fix for it.

I don't have the iPhone 4 but I did have the iPhone 3G and the proximity sensor issue sucked. I would constantly put people on hold with my cheek. It was terrible.

The issue with the antenna to me is a big issue. Some people don't want to have an ugly ass bumper or case or whatever on their phone to make it bigger. I shouldn't have to rely on a damn case to make my phone function the way it should. I mean, it is a damn phone right? Apple needs to man up and recall it's product like every other company out there. Telling people to just buy a bumper to remedy the issue is nonsense. Hey Apple, why don't you just come out and admit there is any issue with your hardware rather then blaming it on how people hold their phone.

I have the iPhone 4 and I have yet to be able to reproduce the "death grip". I have NO issues with reception what so ever. I DO have the the proximity issue, I have noticed that I have put people on mute several times when my cheek has brushed the screen and I never had this happen with my 3GS.

Am I pissed? No, I'm sure it will be fixed in a software update.

I think this has been overblown. I'd guess that 95% of people use theirs with a case anyway. But, I do agree, Apple's attitude towards the situation is very dickish. I'm not an Apple fanboy. I love the iPhone, but I don't get the blind loyalty. (It was very ghey to see people chanting "Apple" on the release day for the iPhone 4, it was like a big pep rally... ghey...).

Anyway, Apple should fix the problem for the people who are having issues.

I have the iPhone 4 and I have yet to be able to reproduce the "death grip". I have NO issues with reception what so ever. I DO have the the proximity issue, I have noticed that I have put people on mute several times when my cheek has brushed the screen and I never had this happen with my 3GS.

I think this has been overblown. I'd guess that 95% of people use theirs with a case anyway. But, I do agree, Apple's attitude towards the situation is very dickish. I'm not an Apple fanboy. I love the iPhone, but I don't get the blind loyalty. (It was very ghey to see people chanting "Apple" on the release day for the iPhone 4, it was like a big pep rally... ghey...).

This pretty much sums up my experience as well.

I've never had a single issue with the death grip but I have put people on speaker phone a lot because of the proximity issue. But it's no big deal, they'll fix it with software and I don't even talk on my phone as much as I use data/texting so I'm fine with it.

And I agree about the annoying Apple fanboys. You can pretty much guarantee that when you see an Apple sticker on someone's car, the driver will be wearing skinny jeans and carrying a man purse. Ghey.

But anyway, this is my first iphone (and first smartphone) and I'd say that I'm just about 100 percent satisfied with it and wouldn't change my mind about my phone selection.

If it were a software issue, it would have already been fixed with a software update. By all accounts that I have read, this is a design flaw/hardware issue. That is why Apple is being a ***** about it. They don't want to have to recall thousands of these phones. Apple is known to release software updates when there is a software issue. I believe it was last year or so that they had a security issue at the password lock screen where you could bypass that screen without entering a password. They were quick to fix that issue.

For instance my HTC Evo had an issue that was discovered days before the launch with the SD card error which didn't allow you to take pictures. HTC released an over the air update on the day the HTC Evo went on sale.

Not sure why some of you think this is over blown and the response that Apple is giving is crap.

I think the "death grip" issue is overblown because I've had my phone for over two weeks now and haven't run into it at all.

Of course its overblown. Just like the whole accelarator problem with Toyota's. But the thing is that Toyota was working to find a solution, where as Apple is basically saying "you're holding it wrong" or "buy one of our $30 covers to fix it".

Of course its overblown. Just like the whole accelarator problem with Toyota's. But the thing is that Toyota was working to find a solution, where as Apple is basically saying "you're holding it wrong" or "buy one of our $30 covers to fix it".

Toyota's problem was putting lives at risk. Apple's problem isn't. And Apple's problem isn't affecting every single phone. And if it is, my $12 case has remedied the problem just fine.

Toyota's problem was putting lives at risk. Apple's problem isn't. And Apple's problem isn't affecting every single phone. And if it is, my $12 case has remedied the problem just fine.

That's the thing. Why should people have to buy a case to solve the phone problem. That's like Toyota saying, "Buy a Honda gas pedal to fix your issue".

Even if its not affecting every Iphone 4 but there are hundreds or thousands of people claiming to have the problem, any other company would know that they have something serious rather then blowing people off.

Why should anyone have to buy 3rd party product to resolve the issue. That makes no sense to me. It's fine for you but some people don't want to have to put a case on their phone or told how to hold your phone when every other phones on the market don't appear to have this issue.

That's the thing. Why should people have to buy a case to solve the phone problem. That's like Toyota saying, "Buy a Honda gas pedal to fix your issue".

Even if its not affecting every Iphone 4 but there are hundreds or thousands of people claiming to have the problem, any other company would know that they have something serious rather then blowing people off.

Why should anyone have to buy 3rd party product to resolve the issue. That makes no sense to me. It's fine for you but some people don't want to have to put a case on their phone or told how to hold your phone when every other phones on the market don't appear to have this issue.

I guess I'm just skeptical about the claims. It sounds like a lot of noise about nothing to me. Maybe I got the one phone out of a million that didn't have the issue. Seems unlikely but who knows? :whoknows:

And if the issue is in fact real and not blown out of proportion, and putting a case on your phone really solves it, would you really buy a $300-$600 phone and not protect it with a case? That's just common sense. Unless you're such a rebel and so concerned with the principal of not being told what to do, that you decide to show that big bad electronics company that you don't need no stinkin' case (then drop your phone while getting out of your car and spiderweb the screen).

I guess I'm just skeptical about the claims. It sounds like a lot of noise about nothing to me. Maybe I got the one phone out of a million that didn't have the issue. Seems unlikely but who knows? :whoknows:

And if the issue is in fact real and not blown out of proportion, and putting a case on your phone really solves it, would you really buy a $300-$600 phone and not protect it with a case? That's just common sense. Unless you're such a rebel and so concerned with the principal of not being told what to do, that you decide to show that big bad electronics company that you don't need no stinkin' case (then drop your phone while getting out of your car and spiderweb the screen).

I never had a case for my iphone and I don't have a case for my HTC EVO. If I do put anything on the phone, it is the screen protector. The case is an accessory. An accessory should not be needed to make a phone work. Plus that is why you pay for insurance.

This is incredibly frustrating imo and I don't even have an iPhone. Apple needs to step up and realize that even their products can have flaws. No one or no product is ever perfect. Even if Apple had to do a recall, at least it would be accepting to its customers that it has a product with flaws and it wants the customer to have the best possible product. Instead, they are acting like Albert Haynesworth, taking peoples money and doing jack **** to prove that their product is worth the money these folks paid.

Lol, Apple products certainly aren't perfect. In fact, Apple software has more bugs and security vulnerabilities than any other software company's (MUCH MORE than Microsoft):

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/apple-leads-the-pack-for-ballooning-bug-count/8877

I always laugh when Mac owners talk about how much more secure their computers are, because it is quite the opposite. The only reason Macs don't get viruses is because nobody buys the stupid things so hackers don't care.

Archived