Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

iPhone 4

hail2theskins3

I don't know the statistics, but most of the people I know who aren't jailbroken are because they see no benefit in it for them. The rest haven't done it because they essentially have a fear of the unknown and don't understand how easy it is.

Let's think...would Apple be giving away every app for free? Would AT&T be able to handle people making FaceTime calls all over the 3G network? How great would the network be if everyone had free, unlimited tethering?

There's a reason why the iPhone doesn't come with access to all of this.

But of course Apple knows people are jailbreaking the phones. By acknowledging it, they could take out the incentive for people to modify it on their own by offering the services at a reasonable price.

Unless you're on an unlimited data plan, enabling a lot of those added features will surely be useless.

The reasons you gave that they don't offer those services are a copout and the providers' faults, not the consumers'.

A higher number for megapixels is not always better. Are you doing insanely large prints with your EVO? Doubt it. Having a high megapixel camera with horrible filtering is like having a a really high powered processor with no RAM. iPhones display dominates the competition. You really have to see it to appreciate it.

A friend of mine who is a professional photographer has talked to me about the megapixel issue. Just because the megapixel count is higher does not mean it is a better picture.

Never said it was...just that it's pretty much been the standard until Steve Jobs said it wasn't anymore. And him saying it had more to do with the iPhone not having the highest number of megapixels, than Job's desire to educate consumers on the intricacies of camera phone resolution. Also, I'd be interested to know how many pictures your friend takes with his/her cell phone?

Never said it was...just that it's pretty much been the standard until Steve Jobs said it wasn't anymore. And him saying it had more to do with the iPhone not having the highest number of megapixels, than Job's desire to educate consumers on the intricacies of camera phone resolution. Also, I'd be interested to know how many pictures your friend takes with his/her cell phone?

AFAIK picture quality has always been based on more things than megapixel count. The way cameras were evaluated didn't change when Steve Jobs mentioned it. Using only megapixels to evaluate overall quality would be like saying that because the quad core mobile i7 chip has 4 cores, it is better than the dual core i7 mobile chip. The dual core for the vast majority of applications is actually faster, even though it has 2 less cores because of the 1 GHz increase in overall clock speed on each core.

I am pretty sure my buddy takes quite a few pictures and videos, too. Considering he gets paid a crap ton of money for taking photos, I value his opinion on any sort of camera. It isn't like this camera is the most amazing thing ever. It is a phone first and foremost. If it takes good pictures, great. If it isn't the best camera on a phone, who cares?

I am pretty sure my buddy takes quite a few pictures and videos, too. Considering he gets paid a crap ton of money for taking photos, I value his opinion on any sort of camera. It isn't like this camera is the most amazing thing ever. It is a phone first and foremost. If it takes good pictures, great. If it isn't the best camera on a phone, who cares?

My point in asking about your friend was to say that I'm fairly confident that he uses a digital camera, which blows any cell phone camera out of the water. Phone cameras aren't to the point where your buddy could do his job with one...whether it's an iPhone or Evo. So the camera resolution argument is truly nitpicking features.

I don't see Sprint 'losing' as being relevant or even true. Their plans have always been cheaper.

The previous generations of iPhones did things NO other phone could do. Now you really can't say that's the case, despite personal preferences. I'm sure by the time the next iPhone is out HTC will have something that far surpasses both of these phones, so moderate annual updates to a new model probably won't work much longer for Apple.

There are however things the EVO does that the iPhone can't do...wifi hotspot, micro hdmi tv out connection, flash compatibility, fm radio, stick out to me...Apple had to add 'multitasking' to do something HTC's been doing for years...

So the hijacking was intentional :ols:

Trust me it is fact that Sprint's market share has steadily decline. Do a quick google search and you can see that for yourself. Which is why they offer plans at such great rates.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/169981-sprint-reports-loss-again

How can I still not feel I have one of the better phones with my iPhone? The incredible just came out. You don't think when they update their phone, the iPhone is just going to get a moderate update? What we have is another "iPhone" killer. I have never heard of an HTC killer, or a Motorola killer... You know why? Because they are all trying to be the iPhone.

If you really want to use your phone as a Wifi hotspot, there are means to do that on the iPhone if you want to. However, I have no desire to do that. Flash is a bloated proprietary application that is out of date. It would be nice if the iPhone did it, but I am not buying a phone because it can read some Flash site.

I can do component out from my iPhone to my TV, works fine for me.

Besides looks like there are some issues with the HDMI out on the Evo.

Even though the 720p video we recorded using the Evo's built-in camcorder played back at an acceptable quality on the phone's screen, once we exported that same video through our HDMI cable the picture quality suffered greatly. It seemed that there was some frame dropping going on that gave playback a jittery look. Clearly, the Evo is doing some heavy-duty compression that is quite unflattering when played on a big screen.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20006625-1.html

They added Multitasking because people were asking for it, not to catch up with the Jones'. As soon as any Droid based phone sells 600K in half a day, we can say Apple is trying to catch up.

I am glad you enjoy your Evo. Good for you and everyone else. However, I am enjoying my iPhone as well. So, good for me.

Iphone 4 owners...I have a Iphone4 on order and I went to the AT&T store to check it out in person. I must say that it seems a little bit faster than my 3GS but I'm a little irked by the rectangular design. It just doesn't feel as good in the hands as the curved 3G.

Anyone else have this issue? Have you gotten over it?

Really? I love how the new one feels. I didn't like the change from the 1st Gen flat back to the 3GS. I am glad it is flat again. IMO, the sharp edges feels like it is more secure in my hand. The build quality seems better as well.

I think the new design is 1000% better. It feels a little heavier, but it's not slick like the 3G and 3GS.

Actually it is lighter, I think it just feels more solid, which may make it seem that way. Thinner and lighter, yet more powerful...

But most people aren't inclined to have to jailbreak their phones to get those benefits at the expense of their warranty being voided. I know, I know, you can restore it to factory from iTunes, but again, if it's so easy and riskfree, why are less than 10% all iPhones jailbroken? Also, you have to 'rejailbreak' after every Apple update. Most people don't want to be bothered with that...especially when you consider Apple's wide appeal. The question should be why aren't these features you are jailbreaking to get offered from Apple in the first place?

The reason less than 10% are jailbroken, is the other 90% don't need those features.

My point in asking about your friend was to say that I'm fairly confident that he uses a digital camera, which blows any cell phone camera out of the water. Phone cameras aren't to the point where your buddy could do his job with one...whether it's an iPhone or Evo. So the camera resolution argument is truly nitpicking features.

Well obviously for professional work he would use a professional camera :ols:

Even so though, comparing camera image quality is all the same. Just like comparing the sound quality of a wav file to an mp3 file.

And I totally agree about the resolution argument. Weren't you saying the EVO was better because it had a higher megapixel count? lol

I love my Iphone 4 but I think i have something wrong with mine. My 3g data speed is so inconsistent that its pissing me off. Its slow to not even working or it will be fast for a couple minutes and then drag to garbage speeds. I transfered over from a 3gs and my 3gs has never had this problem ever. It includes when i look at the map or just search the net. It Can take over 10 minutes to load up one web page or just not connect at all. Everything else is fine with my phone. Well looks like i'm going to the apple store on wednesday.

Yeah I use mine to talk to people. But I also use it to keep memos, notes, check email, listen to my music, check sports scores, take pictures, take videos, check my bands facebook page, check the weather and radar including severe weather alerts, get directions, get food and drink recipes, check extremeskins, ....

I have to say that my main phone does most of those things and only cost me 50 bucks.

I don't use facebook, so not a need.

I check ES when I get ime, it is not a need.

I don't know about the radar, but certainly the weather is available.

Directions as well.

Ehh... Just not something I think I would ever need. I have a Blackberry also but I rarely use it. My girl has a Samsung phone that she likes. I don't get it I guess.

But of course Apple knows people are jailbreaking the phones. By acknowledging it, they could take out the incentive for people to modify it on their own by offering the services at a reasonable price.

Unless you're on an unlimited data plan, enabling a lot of those added features will surely be useless.

The reasons you gave that they don't offer those services are a copout and the providers' faults, not the consumers'.

Everyone who had unlimited before was grandfathered in. Unlimited data is a good thing. I never said the reasons that I listed were consumers' faults. It would've been great if Apple didn't partner with the ****tiest network.

Actually it is lighter, I think it just feels more solid, which may make it seem that way. Thinner and lighter, yet more powerful...

Maybe it feels heavier because of the phone I was using while waiting for mine to get here :whoknows:

Everyone who had unlimited before was grandfathered in. Unlimited data is a good thing. I never said the reasons that I listed were consumers' faults. It would've been great if Apple didn't partner with the ****tiest network.

Maybe it feels heavier because of the phone I was using while waiting for mine to get here :whoknows:

Everything I've read has said that the iPhone 4 is slightly heavier than the 3GS so I think you were right.

Everything I've read has said that the iPhone 4 is slightly heavier than the 3GS so I think you were right.

He didn't have an older model iPhone it seems. Sounds like he just had a flimsy piece of junk that he wanted to get rid of.

EDIT: Your sig should say 2009-2010 team. :silly:

He didn't have an older model iPhone it seems. Sounds like he just had a flimsy piece of junk that he wanted to get rid of.

EDIT: Your sig should say 2009-2010 team. :silly:

No, I did.

I've had every model of the iPhone. I just sell them a month ahead of time and switch to a backup phone so I get the new one for "free".

The reason less than 10% are jailbroken, is the other 90% don't need those features.

Exactly...

I jailbroke my 3G, but when I got my 3GS, there was no need for me to jailbreak again... Its nice that you can, but the 3GS does everything I need it to do.

my wife and I currently have verizon. Her contract is up (mine has about 11 months left) and we are very tempted to leave verizon to get the iphone4. if we stay with verizon, she'll probably get the incredible and i'd get the droid x, but i just realized that we'd be spending $400 for both of those phones. why not pay an extra $100 or so to get out of my contract early and get two iphone 4s for the same price? i mean, everything else out there is just an iphone wannabe.

the datacap is the main thing holding us back though. i drive about an hour each way to work and listen to pandora the whole time. i'm sure that much music streaming, combined with general data useage, would put me over the top. however, i've read verizon is going to institute a data cap too, so that really shouldnt be my main incentive?

can anyone think of a good reason why we should stay with verizon? are there things droid can do that the iphone cant? is atts network really THAT bad?

my wife and I currently have verizon. Her contract is up (mine has about 11 months left) and we are very tempted to leave verizon to get the iphone4. if we stay with verizon, she'll probably get the incredible and i'd get the droid x, but i just realized that we'd be spending $400 for both of those phones. why not pay an extra $100 or so to get out of my contract early and get two iphone 4s for the same price? i mean, everything else out there is just an iphone wannabe.

the datacap is the main thing holding us back though. i drive about an hour each way to work and listen to pandora the whole time. i'm sure that much music streaming, combined with general data useage, would put me over the top. however, i've read verizon is going to institute a data cap too, so that really shouldnt be my main incentive?

can anyone think of a good reason why we should stay with verizon? are there things droid can do that the iphone cant? is atts network really THAT bad?

I think the iPhone coming to Verizon is imminent. I'd be absolutely shocked if by the launch of the next one they aren't available with Verizon.

Well an ounce in the world of cell phones is noticable. He was talking about the 4g being heavier than the 3gs. So he noticed 2 grams.

I am fine with people not liking Apple or the iPhone. Though it seems quite a few don't like other's that like them or their phone.

I think the iPhone coming to Verizon is imminent. I'd be absolutely shocked if by the launch of the next one they aren't available with Verizon.

people have been saying that for years. if verizon ever gets an iphone, the earliest it would come is summer of 2011... or whenever verizion has a substantial LTE network present.

people have been saying that for years. if verizon ever gets an iphone, the earliest it would come is summer of 2011... or whenever verizion has a substantial LTE network present.

People have....I've never felt it's as close as it is now. I think part of AT&T allowing anyone to upgrade within this year for the i4 is that they want to lock people in so when it does become available for other networks they don't lose a ton of business.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived