Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT @ SportingNews.com - Best & Worst Backup QBs

Jim Bob

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2010-06-25/nfl-depth-chart-analyzing-best-worst-backup-qbs

The Best

4. Washington Redskins. Sure, the 'Skins made a major play by landing Donovan McNabb via trade. But McNabb has missed at least one game in five of the past six seasons.

So the team needs a quality backup. And though some may not think Rex Grossman is a quality backup, consider a few facts: First, he spent a year the Redskins have adopted, with new offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan in Houston. Second, Grossman made it to the Super Bowl in Chicago under offensive coordinator Ron Turner, who barely coaxed mediocrity out of Jay Cutler before getting fired after last season. Third, Grossman still possesses a live arm — and the Shanahans know how to refine raw talent.

Florio praising something the Redskins have.......

:point2sky

When I saw this title, I thought Sexy Rexy would be listed as one of the worst. I strongly disagree with Florio on this issue.

People keep bringing up that trip to the Super Bowl, but that was despite of Rex, not because of him. I think people obsess way too much with team records when evaluating player performance.

When I saw this title, I thought Sexy Rexy would be listed as one of the worst. I strongly disagree with Florio on this issue.

People keep bringing up that trip to the Super Bowl, but that was despite of Rex, not because of him. I think people obsess way too much with team records when evaluating player performance.

that might apply for some positions, but i would submit that team record is just about the only statistic that really matters when evaluating a quarterback.

Rex really isn't THAT bad. Florio's estimation of his quality is pretty good, IMHO. Dude is now a veteran backup with more success and experience than plenty of starting QBs in the league. He gets to work in K.Shanahan's system, which he's already familiar with; he gets to draw some experience from McNabb; and he's got much better talent to work with in DC (Cooley, Moss, Davis, Thomas) than he ever had in Chicago.

I also think he is a serviceable backup. Id rather him then a lot of others as the backup. He at least has played in big games before, unlike a lot of backups who have barely seen live play much less what its like to play in play-off and super bowl games. Hopefully we never have find out where he really falls on this list though.

Ok, so FINALLY someone agrees with me. The fact that it's Florio is a little unnerving, but I'm just happy it's someone.

Rex Grossman is not as bad as you people make him out to be. As a starting quarterback? Different story; he'd be bottom 5.

We're talking backups though, and we have one of the best. It's not like teams have two great quarterbacks... who are you guys expecting we have to back up? Matt Schaub? Joe Flacco?

Archived