Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

B/R: Washington Redskins: Predicting The Top 5 Impact Players of 2010

JustAfan47

Washington Redskins: Predicting The Top 5 Impact Players of 2010

by Adam Hankins Correspondent

84069723_display_image.jpg?1277416679

With the 2010 NFL season just around the corner, here's an early look at predictions for players who will have the biggest impact for the Washington Redskins.

It's never too early for optimism, and Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen have given Redskins fans a reason to be hopeful. Washington might be the biggest surprise in the league this year. These five players will play big roles in delivering a winning season.

91422831_display_image.jpg?1277404678

No.5 Reed Doughty, Safety

Reed Doughty had a career high of 91 tackles last season, good for on the team behind London Fletcher and Rocky McIntosh. Despite only starting seven games out of the 15 he played, his excellent performances did not go unnoticed. Imagine what he will do if he manages to win the starting job opposite Laron Landry this year.

Doughty is one of the most intelligent players on this team. He should be among the first to grasp the intricacies of Jim Haslett's defense. Doughty should turn out to be one of the leaders of the defense with his extreme toughness, discipline and excellent

98633177_display_image.jpg?1277404739

No.4 Trent Williams, Tackle

Trent Williams was drafted this year to fill the biggest void on the team, which is left tackle.

His athleticism is very impressive for a man of his stature, and he should be solid in protecting Donovan McNabb and in opening up running lanes for Clinton Portis.

His first start will be a major test when he faces off with Demarcus Ware, but it's a safe bet that he will hold his ground against many of the league's top pass rushers. Williams will be a major cornerstone in a successful offense.

82481234_display_image.jpg?1277416872

No.3 Chris Cooley, Tight End

Chris Cooley was very limited in 2009 because of injuries. He should come roaring back in 2010 since he is an extremely hard worker. Cooley should pick up on the nuances of the Shanahans' offense very quickly.

McNabb has a history of relying heavily on his tight ends, and Cooley will be no different. Cooley should be McNabb's go-to man all year, and it would not be shocking to see him end up with more than 70 receptions and double digit touchdowns.

94996134_display_image.jpg?1277404870

No.2 Brian Orakpo, Linebacker

After 2009's 11-sack, Pro Bowl performance, Brian Orakpo is already a feared pass rusher.

He has a rare combination of speed and strength, and he has an unstoppable motor. He will be hungry for more in 2010, and the new 3-4 defense should cater to his strengths.

Haslett has already promised to send him after the quarterback much more than he did last year, and that's bad news for opposing offenses. Orakpo is a perfect fit for the 3-4, and he should be poised for over 15 sacks this

98544135_display_image.jpg?1277404895

No.1 Donovan McNabb, Quarterback

No surprise here. Donovan McNabb is the No.1 impact player for the 2010 Redskins will be McNabb. He has already said he has no hard feelings toward the Philadelphia Eagles for trading him, but he lied. He is bitter about being put out after giving so many good years to Philadelphia, and now wants to prove to the Eagles and the rest of the league that he is still an upper-echelon quarterback.

McNabb still has plenty of gas left in his tank to take the Redskins to the playoffs. A quarterback of his caliber can do so much to elevate the play of everyone on an offense, and look for him to do the same for Washington.

McNabb will be ready to maximize the potential of an explosive Shanahan offense. Along with leading the Redskins to the playoffs in 2010, McNabb will end up with the best statistical season of his career, passing for 4000+ yards and 30+ touchdowns.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/410927-washington-redskins-predicting-the-top-5-impact-players-of-2010#page/1

lol........ McNabb looks like a guber!! :ols:

Cheers to you having a good year Mc5.

My list...

5. Kevin Barnes... Who-da-thunk-it.

4. Lorenzo Alexander... Surprise "find" of the year.

3. Adam Carriker... The big Boy finally shows why he was coveted in the draft.

2. Anthony Armstrong... Pro-bowl return guy, so says ME almighty.

1. Fred Davis... will be the best TE in football.

I'm interested in the prediction for Cooley purely from a fantasy football POV...70 catches and 10+ TDs with Davis on the field as well? I dunno, but Cooley isn't getting drafted until about the 10th round, 11the TE taken in mock drafts I've been doing...

Not exactly well written but debating who the top 5 impact guys could be isn't a bad idea. The writer went with the most obvious choices I'd say. Except for Reed. Reed would be on my list as well.

So how about instead of the obvious choices. Let's hear some less obvious choices for impact players.

Word is that he is stronger, faster and has a higher ceiling as a blocker.

Edit: By the way, what's YOUR list?

I still think Cooley will see more action though because he is proven over the years what he can do. And without FD getting the numbers, it's hard to call him top.

As for my list, I'm going with the obvious. Same as the OP except I would switch Smoot with Portis. I think having all these other RBs brought in is really going to push him and I think we may just see one of his best years ever. But in the end, my opinion is about as good as everyone elses. Who really knows what is going to happen.

I still think Cooley will see more action though because he is proven over the years what he can do. And without FD getting the numbers, it's hard to call him top.

As for my list, I'm going with the obvious. Same as the OP except I would switch Smoot with Portis. I think having all these other RBs brought in is really going to push him and I think we may just see one of his best years ever. But in the end, my opinion is about as good as everyone elses. Who really knows what is going to happen.

I think Portis starts strong, but then tails off.

I think Portis starts strong, but then tails off.

I don't think the Shanaclan will allow him to tail off. They know a little more about motivating then the previous administration. I really think that is the reason we brought in all these other RBs. To show CP "hey, you do what you did last year and we can easily find a replacement for that level of play. Oh look we have a few replacements standing right here"

I don't think the Shanaclan will allow him to tail off. They know a little more about motivating then the previous administration. I really think that is the reason we brought in all these other RBs. To show CP "hey, you do what you did last year and we can easily find a replacement for that level of play. Oh look we have a few replacements standing right here"

Portis tail off because he is too beat up. He has played this game for too long now. I think by game 6 we have a new starter.

Well all I can say is wait and see....I hope I'm right but can't say it isn't possible that you will be.

I would gladly give up the dubious distinction of being 'right' if we go deep into the playoffs... and of course I could be wrong. `

SWFLSkins...

Artis Hicks and Jammal Brown, literally making a huge impact.

Yes, both of these players will have an impact for different reasons. Brown may end up being our LT of the future, while Hicks is going to be a valuable swing man.

I would gladly give up the dubious distinction of being 'right' if we go deep into the playoffs... and of course I could be wrong. `

Yes, both of these players will have an impact for different reasons. Brown may end up being our LT of the future, while Hicks is going to be a valuable swing man.

They've already said Brown is going to play RT. Trent Williams is our LT of the Future. You don't use a top 5 pick on a tackle and play him at RT. Unless he consistently gets beat like a dog he will be protecting McNabb's blind side.

They've already said Brown is going to play RT. Trent Williams is our LT of the Future. You don't use a top 5 pick on a tackle and play him at RT. Unless he consistently gets beat like a dog he will be protecting McNabb's blind side.

There is a good chance that Brown becomes the starting LT and he is the real deal. If this happens for whatever reason, It will be hard to get him to relinquish the position.

Brown is the best tackle in football. I really hope Trent works out, but at this point and time, he is an unproven commodity.

5. Fred Davis - I think his numbers may actually be better than CC

4. Maake Kemoeatu - Dude is going to be the anchor for this defense, he will be hungry

3. Trent Williams/Jammal Brown - look for the OL to be much improved

2. LaRon Landry - Man, I just have a feeling he is going BEAST MODE in this new system

1. Super 5 - No explanation needed

What do you guys/gals think? What is your top 5 playmakers of 2010.

Archived