Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Work Shoes

Forehead

Just wondering if anyone else has this problem. I go through work shoes way too fast, through complete fault of my own. I'll admit up front to not taking care of them very well...don't polish them, only have 1 pair which I wear every day, often just rip them off them I get home instead of unlacing them and taking them off normally.

As a result, they're usually destroyed within 3-4 months. Partially due to my lack of care, and partially due to the fact that because of my lack of care, I buy cheap shoes at places like Kohl's and Payless.

I've been hearing radio ads about these Red Wing Shoes, and there is a store near my house. Has anyone ever worn them before? I need work shoes that can stand up to my abuse and neglect. If not Red Wing, any other recommendations? And before anyone asks, we're talking standard black dress shoes here.

I kind of have a similar problem. I tend to buy a nice pair of black slip on shoes that I wear every day for work. I have several pairs of lace up shoes but just don't wear them as often. About once a month I go and get them professionally shined. I can usually get 10 months to a year out of them. The pair of Steve Maddens I'm wearing now are nearing the end of their useful life. I can tell because there are tears on the inside that cannot be repaired.

I wear redwings. Mine are for kitchen use and can handle abuse although mine don't have to look top notch. I just wash them with saddle soap every now and then. They are slip ons so no worry about the laces thing. I've been wearing the same ones for pretty much 9 months straight in kitchens and they have held up very well.

Look into getting a couple pairs of Born shoes. They are extremely comfortable and hold up very well.

Agree with this. I love the Bjorn shoes. Give Off Broadway Shoe Warehouse at Potomac Mills a shot. They sometimes have a good selection of them.

My feet are pretty hard to fit - had to have them custom made. It is like a 12 AAA. They are Georgia's (similar to Red Wings) and are made of synthetic leather that does not require much care and will last a long time. Mine are high tops w/o steel toes.

And yeah, they cost a bunch, $200. But, they have lasted me six years now. I have worked construction and now currently work for AMTRAK and they have seen plenty of abuse. I am on my feet about 7.5 hours out of an 8 hour night. And I do not do anything special to protect them other than some saddle soap on occasion for weatherproofing. And I am still wearing them. Well, not at this minute because I am at home but you get the point.

Red Wings will be an excellent choice - fork out the bucks. A good pair will probably be in that $200 neighborhood. They will not be cheap to start with but compared to how long they last they would be worth it. Plus they can custom fit them to your feet if need be (not free but worth it if you need it).

The more money you put into a good pair of dress shoes, the more you'll take care of them. And if you don't, then you're a dumbass. :)

Hey Boss, I believe the OP mentioned work shoes but your point is well taken in either case.

A couple of 'C' notes for shoes is not a problem considering how comfy they are and how long they last.

...of course - my feet are well beyond growing (curling is another matter though)...:cry:

Over the years I have found that the more expensive dress shoes just last longer. Not the soft leather Ferragamo or Santoni slip on loafer style, but the classic lace up garden variety dress shoe.

When I was younger, I would wear out a pair of Nunn Bush or Clark's style dress shoes in a matter of months.

Johnson and Murphy is a very good brand, and the shoes last. Even when the soles go, you can get new soles and they still look and feel great. Allen Edmonds makes a very good shoe. Same thing, they last. So it's up to you whether you want to spend 200-400 for a shoe that lasts you 2-3 years at least with proper care or 50 bucks every 6 months. Some of my dress shoes are soft leather, so they don't last forever, but a solid lace up black shoe should give you years.

One shoe I remember lasting is Bostonian, and they really are not expensive. DSW will always have a pair of slip on loafer dress shoes in black and cordovan, and they practically never go out of style.

Plus, you really can't wear a leather shoe every day. You have to give the leather a rest day to dry out. Could be one reason your shoes are dying so quickly.

Archived