Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL Agent Exam

Dondrae474

Are there any members of ES who are NFL certified contract advisors? I will be taking the exam on August 13, 2010 and was looking for a few pointers. I have been an attorney for the last five years and am getting into the sports business. Thankfully, I have a very experienced agent who has agreed to mentor me.

Its different from each professional league. You have to submit an application for the NBA and NFL. They do a complete background check, credit check, and educational check. They both want you to have either a law degree or a graduate degree (with experience in contracts). For the NFL you have to take an exam given once a year. The NFL process is very complicated and is described in-depth on the nflpa website.

Word to the wise- being a sports agent is very expensive (leagues require you to pay fees of between 1200 and 1800 per year to be an active agent). MLB is the most lax out of all of the other professional leagues. You do not have to register as an agent until you get a player on the 40 man roster.

Archived