Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES 53 MAN DEPTH CHART VOTE: Tight End (Choose One)

KDawg

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Day 2. Who do you think should be the starting tight end for the all time ES team? You get one vote.

Here are the guys that you, the people of ES, voted onto the team.

Chris Cooley (2004-Current)

-343 receptions; 3,789 yards; 30 TD

-2 time Pro Bowler

-Redskin for entire career (thus far)

Jerry Smith (1965-1977)

-421 receptions; 5,496 yards; 60 TD

-2 time Pro Bowler

-1 time All Pro

-Redskin for his entire career

Don Warren (1979-1992)

-244 receptions; 2,536 yards; 7 TD

-Redskin for his entire career

I'm just going off of numbers, I wasn't around to see everyone. Cooley (in half as many years) has half the TDs, more than half the receiving yards, and over 3/4 of the receptions. And his persona on and off the field is one of the best in the NFL, ranking right up there with Ochocinco as someone who is incredibly talented and doesn't let it get to thier head, and they truly enjoy playing.

Cooley plays in an era where catches are way up for all receivers because of the rule changes.

ARE caught 50 balls las year and was cut by Shanahan, in 1966 or 1970 50 catches would have been close to pro bowl production for a WR.

Smith retired with the most catches and TDs for a TE, a mark that was subsequently broken by others.

But that does not detract from his level of production versus other TEs of his era.

Cooley, while a good player, does not have dominant stats versus his peers.

Witten, Gonzalez, Dallas Clark and others equal or better Cooley's marks.

So, I would put him in as the backup rather than the starter here.

Based on the stats, and considering the fact that he played in an era that emphasized the run moreso than the pass, Jerry Smith is a HOF caliber guy who deserves the start IMO.

Dude belongs in the HOF. :mad:

Jerry Smith had amazing hands. He had so many diving fingertip catches where he would be laid out parallel to the ground and hold on to the ball.

On an alltime starting lineup, Smith gets the edge over Cooley. For now. But Cooley may well overtake him in time.

I voted Jerry Smith since he was recognized as one of the greatest pass catching TE's in his time (Ditka, Makey, Jackie Smith and the Ghost). Although he is HOF worthy, I don't see the committee voting him in because of what came to light after he died. Unfortunate.

Cap'n Chaos due to his tendency to show up big against the Cowboys. Nothing against the other 2 but I prefer the players that show up big against the 'boys.

Come on, now. The least you can do is do a little research before proclaiming Cooley superior simply because you haven't seen the other guys in action against the Cowboys :doh:

Chris Cooley's Career vs. Dallas

10 games

41 receptions (4.1/gm)

432 yards (43.2/gm)

5 TDs (0.5/gm)

Best Outings in First 5 Years vs. Dallas:

6 receptions, 71 yards, 3 TDs (2005/wk 15)

3 receptions, 66 yards, 1 TD (2006/wk 9)

8 receptions, 89 yards, 1 TD (2007/wk 11)

5 receptions, 42 yards (2007/wk 17)

7 receptions, 47 yards (2008/wk 11)

Jerry Smith's Career vs. Dallas

21 games

64 receptions (3.0/gm)

902 yards (42.9/gm)

10 TDs (0.5/gm)

Best Outings in First 5 Years vs. Dallas:

6 receptions, 78 yards (1965/wk 7)

6 receptions, 81 yards, 1 TD (1966/wk 9)

5 receptions, 79 yards, 1 TD (1966/wk 13)

5 receptions, 66 yards, 2 TDs (1967/wk 10)

6 receptions, 119 yards, 1 TD (1968/wk 12)

7 receptions, 98 yards, 3 TDs (1969/wk 9)

It really is a shame, skns28. They let criminals and all sort of wretched people into Canton, but Smith isn't allowed because he was gay. That's total BS.

I guess that just how the cookie cumbles in Canton these days. You can let in drug users, wife beaters, etc. but someone who is gay, must be the cardinal sin for the NFL voters.

I guess that just how the cookie cumbles in Canton these days. You can let in drug users, wife beaters, etc. but someone who is gay, must be the cardinal sin for the NFL voters.

Bigotry never ceases to amaze me. From what I understand, he was a really good guy, too.

But, I guess the votes can't let one of "those" people in.

Archived