Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DMN: Spagnola: Romo Reducing All The Noise

tr1

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/editorial.cfm?id=4D48DC95-BDAD-0CED-6038C070922D399B

IRVING, Texas - Peace.

Go ahead, don't be afraid. Flash the peace sign. For five mere letters seem to undeniably describe the current relationship and offseason between the Dallas Cowboys' fans and Tony Romo sits to pee.

Seemingly every summer, beginning in 2006, Romo sits to pee had been a polarizing figure in this Cowboys world, almost as much so as Terrell Owens had been for his three seasons here at The Ranch. Think about it.

In the summer of 2006, a ground-swell of support for Romo sits to pee supplanting Drew Bledsoe as the starting quarterback began, and continued to swirl as the Cowboys progressed through training camp in Oxnard, Calif., until he took over for good that Monday night against the Giants in the second half.

Then, after putting up impressive numbers in his first extended opportunity to play in the NFL, going 6-4, the lightning rod was fully raised into the sky that summer of '07, the debate raging if Romo sits to pee, no more than an undrafted free agent out of then Division I-AA Eastern Illinois, who wasn't even invited to work out at the NFL Combine, could handle the job over 16 games. And by the way, why does he play so much golf and just who is he dating?

No matter the Cowboys went 13-3 that season and Romo sits to pee set the franchise single-season yards passing record, and at times put Houdini to shame with his immaculate recoveries, the summer of '08 grew even worse. Romo sits to pee can't win a playoff game, though he had only played in one. Romo sits to pee can't win the big game, even though he beat the Giants twice, beat Green Bay and Minnesota and won a nationally televised game at Buffalo. Romo sits to pee doesn't care about football. Romo sits to pee and Jess, Romo sits to pee in Cabo, not good. And why is he playing so much golf?

That the Cowboys fell to 9-7 that season, mostly thanks to a defense giving up at least 22 points a game nine times, and that they lost the winner-goes-to-the-playoffs finale to Philadelphia, nearly made those 2009 offseason months unbearable. Brutal, really. Come on, get rid of Jess. Can't win the big game. Too many turnovers, especially fumbles. Hasn't won a playoff game. He's not a leader, only cares about himself. Doesn't take football seriously enough, you know, totally fueled by "if this is the worst thing to happen to me in my life" remark following the loss to Philly. And why is he still playing so much golf?

Maybe worse than all that, and I can't tell you how many times I was asked this question or heard it spoken, will 2009 be a win-or-else season for Tony Romo sits to pee? Win-or-else what?

But this offseason, this summer, quiet as a mouse. Little noise, very little. Maybe Romo sits to pee has grown up some now that he's 30, and by that I mean has learned to limit his contact with the media. And, maybe Romo sits to pee has simply grown on the Cowboys fandom. Complaints seem to have dwindled to an acceptable minimum.

See, in 2009 Romo sits to pee won a big game, as if he hadn't previously, going into New Orleans to lead his club to a 24-17 victory over the previously undefeated Saints in Game 13. And if that wasn't evidence enough, he smeared some icing on the notion by leading the Cowboys to a 24-0 whitewashing of the Eagles in the season-finale, NFC East Division-deciding game, giving him two division titles in three years as a full-time NFL starting quarterback.

Then he won his first playoff game, doing what was considered unlikely, beating the same team in one season three times and in back-to-back games no less.

Gosh, he must have found a new squeeze to everyone's liking, since there didn't seem to be any complaints filed in the department of his personal life.

Plus, the noise over his offseason golf endeavors, and there has been many this summer, maybe even more, has shrunk to a bare minimum.

Who knows, maybe some of his 2009 numbers, and those over the course of his three full years starting, have sunk in this summer of 2010, leading to what has to be considered his all-time high acceptance rating. Let's see:

Most single-season passing yards in franchise history, 4,483, in 2009.

Most single-season passing attempts in franchise history, 550, in 2009.

Most single-season completions in franchise history, 347, in 2009.

Most single-game completions in franchise history, 41 vs. the Giants, in 2009.

Most single-season 300-yard passing games in franchise history, eight, in 2009, to go with the seven he racked up in 2007 and the six in 2008, all giving him the top three single seasons in franchise history and the distinction of being the only quarterback in club history to total more than three, 300-yard passing games in a single season.

Third highest single-season QB rating in franchise history, 97.6, in 2009, which is just .2 higher than the franchise's fourth best he posted in 2007.

Most career 300-yard passing games in franchise history, 24, oh, by the way, 11 more than Hall of Famer Troy Aikman, and the only Cowboys quarterback to throw for 300 yards in three consecutive games as he did in 2007.

Highest Cowboys career QB rating among quarterbacks attempting at least 1,500 passes, 95.6.

That enough?

Wait, three more:

His TDs-to-INTs ratio was 26-to-9, the first time in his career he threw more than twice as many touchdowns as interceptions, the gold standard for quarterbacks.

Fourth best NFL winning record in the first 55 starts of a quarterback's career in the Super Bowl era, 38-17, behind just some guys named Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger and Kurt Warner, and at that just one game behind Roethlisberger and Warner, and four behind Brady's 42-13 mark.

And here are Romo sits to pee's combined numbers as a fulltime starter over the past three seasons: 958 of 1,520 (63 percent), 12,142 yards, 88 touchdowns, 42 interceptions and a 95.67 QB rating.

Those certainly are noise-reduction numbers.

But don't think I don't know some of you have been foaming at the mouth reading this, probably bursting at the seams to say, aw come on, he's Danny White, he hasn't - can't - win a Super Bowl. What good is he?

Did a little research just for you sorts in anticipation of such. So check this out for some sound perspective on this but he hasn't won a Super Bowl - yet - noise.

In the Super Bowl era of the NFL, meaning from 1966-2009, like 44 seasons since Super Bowl XLV is being played this season at Cowboys Stadium, 403 quarterbacks have attempted at least 100 passes in the NFL; 170 have attempted at least 1,000 passes and 115 at least 1,800 passes, of which Romo sits to pee is a member of that group since he now stands at 1,857 attempts. (Got that picture?)

Having said that, only 70 quarterbacks in the 44-year history of the Super Bowl have ever attempted at least one pass in the championship game. That's it.

And get this, in this 44-year history of the Super Bowl, only 28 quarterbacks ever have been able to win one of these gems, which includes two winning four (Terry Bradshaw and Joe Montana), two winning three (Troy Aikman and Tom Brady) and six winning two (Bart Starr, Bob Griese, Roger Staubach, Jim Plunkett, John Elway and Ben Roethlisberger). Hmmm, seven of those guys are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, two are still playing and only Plunkett has not found his way to Canton.

In fact, of the 23 modern era quarterbacks already residing in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, five playing in the SB era never won a Super Bowl (Dan Marino, Jim Kelly, Dan Fouts, Warren Moon and Fran Tarkenton) and six others weren't still playing quarterback fulltime by 1966.

As you see, slim pickings, and to think John Elway didn't win his two until the final two years of his 16-year career. And of the 34 quarterbacks to have played for the Cowboys in their 50-year history, just two have won Super Bowls, Roger Staubach and Troy Aikman now residing in the Hall of Fame. Those two include the Cowboys in a group of seven franchises having won multiple Super Bowls with different starting quarterbacks.

Let's see, Staubach played 11 years for the Cowboys, Aikman started for 12, Bradshaw played 14 for the Steelers, Bart Starr 16 for the Packers, Warren Moon played 17 NFL seasons, Joe Montana 16, Marino 17, Steve Young 15 and Brett Favre is contemplating playing his 19th season.

Romo sits to pee will be starting fulltime for his fourth season in 2010, seemingly rising above all the noise. Finally.

Keep the peace.

OMG!

If only Romo sits to pee could play the Eagles 16 games in a row...

Didn't take long for puke fans to forget that 34-3 drubbing the Vikes laid on them...where was the golden boy in that game? Well, he was basking in FINALLY not choking one away the week before...:rotflmao:

Heads up puke fans...here's an omen you might have missed...Romo sits to pee bowed out at qualifying at Pebble Beach for 'poor play.'

He's going to suck this year...

Puke fans, assume the position.

:rotflmao:

But don't think I don't know some of you have been foaming at the mouth reading this, probably bursting at the seams to say, aw come on, he's Danny White, he hasn't - can't - win a Super Bowl. What good is he?

Did a little research just for you sorts in anticipation of such. So check this out for some sound perspective on this but he hasn't won a Super Bowl - yet - noise.

In the Super Bowl era of the NFL, meaning from 1966-2009, like 44 seasons since Super Bowl XLV is being played this season at Cowboys Stadium, 403 quarterbacks have attempted at least 100 passes in the NFL; 170 have attempted at least 1,000 passes and 115 at least 1,800 passes, of which Romo sits to pee is a member of that group since he now stands at 1,857 attempts. (Got that picture?)

Having said that, only 70 quarterbacks in the 44-year history of the Super Bowl have ever attempted at least one pass in the championship game. That's it.

what a horrible defense of Romo sits to pee!! :ols:

The excuses never stop for this guy. He's 30 years old and people are still using experience as an excuse for his many failures. Even if you only count the four years Romo sits to pee has started he still had less success than McNabb, Eli, and even Vick all had in their first 4 seasons in the league. But Romo sits to pee is a champion in the making because it only took him 30 years to finally grow up.

what a horrible defense of Romo sits to pee!! :ols:

Seriously ... :ols:

Nothing mentioned about his one playoff victory, but the fact that he throws the ball alot makes up for the fact he hasn't come through in crunch time in the playoffs yet??

Until he proves otherwise, he's Danny White incarnate.

Being honest all smack aside,,, the goob wasn't even invited to the combine or drafted (I believe) so for him to sit for 3 years as a project then become a Pro Bowler and perform at an above average is pretty astonishing considering were he was rated.

McNabb, Eli and Vick (even our ex QB was a 1st rounder) were all high 1st round picks and should be better but I'm not sure they are. I definitely would rather have Romo sits to pee over Vick and Sheli.

I'd also rather have him over McNabb currently only because I think all the injuries and age have caught up with him. IMO I still think it was a mistake to pick him up. Never liked him and I'm really going to hate him if he falls on his face in DC. McNabb isn't exactly known as a clutch QB either.

Say what you will about the Eagle's but they are cheap not stupid.

"Hail to Colt taking over for an ineffective McNabb"

OMG!

If only Romo sits to pee could play the Eagles 16 games in a row...

Didn't take long for puke fans to forget that 34-3 drubbing the Vikes laid on them...where was the golden boy in that game? Well, he was basking in FINALLY not choking one away the week before...:rotflmao:

Heads up puke fans...here's an omen you might have missed...Romo sits to pee bowed out at qualifying at Pebble Beach for 'poor play.'

He's going to suck this year...

Puke fans, assume the position.

:rotflmao:

I see your vacation has not done much to ease your bitterness. Want to remind the rest of us how you insisted Campbell was better than Romo sits to pee?

Wheres Campbell at this point TR1, Tony Romo sits to pee 1, thats right hes in the black hole? Where are all the posters who told us he was better than Romo sits to pee? Where are all the stats and fans who knew Campbell was better than a, What did the previous poster bring up? Oh yeah Romo sits to pee was an undrafted rookie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOOK AT HIS CAREER NOW!!!!!!!

Its hard to compare QB's, without taking into account the many variables involved.

As for Romo sits to pee? We shall see.. He could finally get over the hump. Being a Skins fan, it seems more likely to me that your ride is due to end shortly. And you'll be left telling yourself "we should've done it while we had the chance".

While the B&G runs up & down the field, of course. :cool:

Yep TR1 is back, a typical full page Cowboy story where he picks out one small sentence and tries to run with it. And of course TR1 has already made his first prediction (which will change many times LOL) for this year that Romo sits to pee will suck this year....now what does a QB sucking mean to me and you? Right everyone has thier own opinion.... As far as Romo sits to pee sucking to TR1 that could mean anything from not being the MVP of the super bowl on down...Dont you love how he leaves everything open so he can back track though out the year

Yep TR1 is back, a typical full page Cowboy story where he picks out one small sentence and tries to run with it. And of course TR1 has already made his first prediction (which will change many times LOL) for this year that Romo sits to pee will suck this year....now what does a QB sucking mean to me and you? Right everyone has thier own opinion.... As far as Romo sits to pee sucking to TR1 that could mean anything from not being the MVP of the super bowl on down...Dont you love how he leaves everything open so he can back track though out the year

Not to mention statistically, Romo sits to pee has gotten better and better each year at some point, than finally gets Dallas over its hump, while running iwth two bad choices made by JJ himself, Owens and Williams, Romo sits to pee than finds another non drafted pick and those two hook up for an incredible year.

Romo sits to pee is the leader of the offense and the team backs him, they respect him and operate better under him. He has poise, believes in his team, urges to find ways to get better and still tries to get his team into a position to win.

Being honest all smack aside,,, the goob wasn't even invited to the combine or drafted (I believe) so for him to sit for 3 years as a project then become a Pro Bowler and perform at an above average is pretty astonishing considering were he was rated.

McNabb, Eli and Vick (even our ex QB was a 1st rounder) were all high 1st round picks and should be better but I'm not sure they are. I definitely would rather have Romo sits to pee over Vick and Sheli.

I'd also rather have him over McNabb currently only because I think all the injuries and age have caught up with him. IMO I still think it was a mistake to pick him up. Never liked him and I'm really going to hate him if he falls on his face in DC. McNabb isn't exactly known as a clutch QB either.

Say what you will about the Eagle's but they are cheap not stupid.

"Hail to Colt taking over for an ineffective McNabb"

Being honest, consider the years with TO and that o-line, he basically failed to win one playoff game...and then last year, when he was able to play against an Eagles team the pukes matched up against well, he pulled it off.

Fantastic! :doh:

Romo sits to pee is a choking dog. He's an average NFL qb who shines against bad to average teams, but he's hardly an elite qb.

And, this year, when Goober has no one protecting his blind side, the party ends...and puke fans go back to dreading his up and down performances.

I can't wait.

I believe it's puke fans who say winning a SB is all that matters...you must be new here or suffer from terrible reading comprehension.

Not to mention statistically, Romo sits to pee has gotten better and better each year at some point, than finally gets Dallas over its hump, while running iwth two bad choices made by JJ himself, Owens and Williams, Romo sits to pee than finds another non drafted pick and those two hook up for an incredible year.

Romo sits to pee is the leader of the offense and the team backs him, they respect him and operate better under him. He has poise, believes in his team, urges to find ways to get better and still tries to get his team into a position to win.

Poise! :rotflmao:

I blieve there are a few classic picutures of his 'poise' that come to mind...several with tears in his and his fans' eyes.

What have you been smoking?

Wheres Campbell at this point TR1, Tony Romo sits to pee 1, thats right hes in the black hole? Where are all the posters who told us he was better than Romo sits to pee? Where are all the stats and fans who knew Campbell was better than a, What did the previous poster bring up? Oh yeah Romo sits to pee was an undrafted rookie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOOK AT HIS CAREER NOW!!!!!!!

It wasn't too long ago that JC was actually better than Romo sits to pee...at least, that's how a lot of puke fans felt during JC's 6-2 stretch.

I suppose you're having memory problems?

Seriously ... :ols:

Nothing mentioned about his one playoff victory...

;)

You know, if you talk to your average puke fan, you know, the guy who lives in say, Northern Virginia, and who, like, wears that silly hat with the star on it the day after a puke win...well, if you ask this guy, "How many playoff games has Romo sits to pee won?", he'd answer 'three' or 'four'.

Seriously, try it out.

You'll die laughing.

;)

You know, if you talk to your average puke fan, you know, the guy who lives in say, Northern Virginia, and who, like, wears that silly hat with the star on it the day after a puke win...well, if you ask this guy, "How many playoff games has Romo sits to pee won?", he'd answer 'three' or 'four'.

Seriously, try it out.

You'll die laughing.

That speaks volumes about the Puke fanbase, doesn't it? :rotflmao:

Wow, it has been a while since a smack thread was up in the ATN.

Puke fans haven't changed. Still early for all the newbie ones that come on here during the during the summer months proclaiming this and proclaiming that.

The question has always been when the puke Oline was finally going to get old. Have to wait and see, but this appears to be that year. Let's watch Romo sits to pee run for his life on a consistent basis and see how well he does. Pukes fans dog JC, but Romo sits to pee could not withstand the abuse he took last year and not get sent to the IR. A poor line will provide a chance to find out.

Edit: And TR is back in mid-season form.

Archived