Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Redskins team ever: 1991?!?!? (merged)

Hitman21ST

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/14890/best-redskins-team-ever-1991

ESPN is going through history to find the best team from each franchise. With the recent polls about the all-time 53 man roster and the DVD of the Skins-Boys rivalry, I thought I would join in the Spirit. The 1991 Skins were very good, but I don't think they were the best that our franchise has to offer.

From the article:

Notable players: QB Mark Rypien, RB Earnest Byner, WR Gary Clark, G Mark Schlereth, DE Charles Mann, CB Darrell Green, K Chip Lohmiller

Analysis: Maybe I should've leaned toward the Riggo-Theismann teams, but in my mind, the ’91 team was too stacked to ignore. Clark was such an unbelievable competitor and he still drops by practice from time to time and inspires the current players. Green was the primary reason opposing teams only managed 6 yards per passing attempt that season. His battles with Michael Irvin were priceless.

The ’91 offensive line was dominant to a ridiculous degree. Redskins quarterbacks were only sacked nine times that season, which is a decent half for the current unit. Rypien had 14 touchdown passes of 25 yards or more to lead the league. Washington could beat you with the pass or run and then its defense knew how to protect leads.

Most impressive win: The Redskins breezed through the regular season with a 14-2 record and then pounded the Lions and Falcons in playoff games. But the 37-24 Super Bowl win over the Bills stands out to me. The Bills were in the middle of a remarkable run and they had an immensely talented offense. The Redskins didn’t care about any of that. We remember the Cowboys being the dominant team of the '90s, but the Redskins set the table in ’91 with a memorable season.

Honorable mention

1987: I’ll never forget Doug Williams’ performance in the Super Bowl. He was shaky early in that game, but after the Skins fell behind the Broncos by 10, Williams settled down and started shredding the defense.

1983: I know the ’82 team won a Super Bowl, but that was in a strike-shortened season. Give me the ’83 team even though it was pummeled by the Raiders in the Super Bowl.

1972: The Skins ran into the perfect Dolphins in the Super Bowl, but Billy Kilmer and the gang had a tremendous season. Larry Brown was a monster and the great George Allen had the Cowboys in full paranoid mode. It was a classic time in the rivalry because the Cowboys also had become an elite team.

So, of those teams the article mentioned (and some others I picked), who's the best?

I think it's gotta be the '91 team, though the '83 team could have gotten the nod if they could have beaten the Raiders. We all remember that the '91 offense was incredible (#1 in the NFL) with Mark Rypien having what might be the greatest season that any Redskins QB has ever had, but people forget that the defense was #2 overall (points) as well.

Not to mention that they absolutely destroyed everyone in the playoffs, none of the post season games were remotely close.

If the '83 Redskins took care of business in Tampa, they'd probably be the best team ever in the Super Bowl era. Better than the perfect Dolphins, better than the Steelers teams of '70s or the 49ners teams of the '80s.

Unfortunately, they just couldn't seal the deal.

That makes it just that much harder to decide. Those late depression-World War II era Redskins were great; beating the powerhouse Chicago Bears twice for the World Title.

At the same time, the Redskins in the 1970s and 1980s were consistent winners and...well, what else can you say about Joe Gibbs? Three world titles in 10 years with three different, non-HOF caliber quarterbacks. Ray Flahrety can't even say that since he had the likes of Sammy Baugh, Cliff Battles, Andy Farkas, and Turk Edwards in his offense.

I'm going to have to go with the '91 Redskins. They had the best offense in the league and the number two defense. The '42 Redskins come in second.

I picked the 1982 Skins. The fact that they pulled a bunch of guys off the streets and beat the Cowboys after much of thier team crossed the picket line is one of the greatest Skins victorys ever. I think that was Gibbs greatest coaching jobs.

When the strike ended, the Skins were just about unbeatable.

1991. I still remember the NFL Films piece where the narrator says, "In 1991 the Washington Redskins were more then simply the league's most successful franchise, they were the perfect football machine..."

I love that quote too.

They were the best offense in the league and a top-5 defense. They had a top ST unit as well. In short, they dominated their opponent in every facet of the game.

Now, in fairness, the 1983 season is a bit hazy to me (I was only 6). I realize we were a better offense in 1983, but I recall being an iffy defense that got a lot of turnovers.

In the end, any tiebreakers would have to go to a championship team (1991).

I picked the 1982 Skins. The fact that they pulled a bunch of guys off the streets and beat the Cowboys after much of thier team crossed the picket line is one of the greatest Skins victorys ever. I think that was Gibbs greatest coaching jobs.

When the strike ended, the Skins were just about unbeatable.

That was 1987 which happens to be my favorite season ever (despite my belief that the 1991 team was better).

The last Lombardi winning squad are certainly my all time favourite B&G team.

I was a little too young to really appreciate the Joey T era, though the one vivid memory I do have was bawling my eyes out in '84 when we lost to the Raiders in the SB as a 9 year old. That was a superb team as well that's oft over looked in the "great" stakes as it fell one game short that day in Tampa.

The next stretch with Doug Williams winning it all is more where my memory's start to kick in. The "Quarter" that glorious night in San Diego. Oh man.

But the end of Coach' first go around is what sticks out and still stands as my favourite time following the burgundy and gold, culminating in that glorius '91 season. Dexter, who moved onto the Cardinals just before that SB season, and Charles Mann sacking opposition QB's for fun, in the day's when we not only had a pass rush, but a darn skeery one if you were lined up on the other side of the ball; Darrel Green, the NFL's fastest man for like forever; B-Mitch breaking records returning; Ryp and one of the prettiest deep balls ever airing it out to Gary Clark, Ricky Sanders and the timeless Art Monk; Byner pounding it and Gerald Riggs finishing it, all behind the Hoggs MkII; fearsome Wilber Marshall and Monte Coleman; and a kicker we could actually rely on in Chip..... man alive it's like it was yesterday. The names just roll off the tongue.

I've mentioned it before on here, (groan go the readers), but there's one game from that '91 Championship Season that sticks out as one of my all time favourite 'Skins games, against Warren Moon and that high powered run and gun Oilers offense in their powder blues at a rocking RFK. Jack Pardee came back to town with his Oilers at 7-1, the 'Skins at 8-0; the two teams everyone thought would meet up again in the Super Bowl. Both teams were scoring points for fun all year, but this turned into a real defensive, drama filled struggle, with Houston tieng it up late at 13. (We held the Oilers to 20 or so total rushing yards, or something crazy.). Chip Lohmiller won it in OT on a long FG, 16-13, after Houston's English kicker Ian Howfield missed a chip shot to win it at the end of regulation (remember him bawling his eyes out on TV the next day after they cut him?); not the high scoring shoot-out everyone expected, but for sheer drama, and two teams playing to the very top of there respective ability's, it's always stood out as one of my all time favourite 'Skins games.

That team was SO dominant on both sides of the ball, it wasn't "are we gona' win today?"; more "by what score are we gona' win today?". WHOMEVER the opposition happened to be. So, so close to a perfect season.

Happy, happy times to be a Redskin. And threads like this bring hom just how fortunate we we're to of had a certain Joe Jackson Gibbs orchestrating the whole show.

Here's to them returning under Coach Mike.

Hail.

GHH,

Good write-up on that season. I agree that was a magical year and a perfect "send-off" for Gibbs. My only regret (in retrospect) is that he didn't walk away after 1991. That would have been a storybook ending for a great coach. His grit and will was able to lead an injured and aging team into the divisional round of the playoffs the following year, but I would loved for him to ride off into the sunset after the dominating 1991 season.

1987 will always be my favorite just because it's the first one I remember following all the way through. I was 5 and 6 in 1982 and 1983 so I remember things, but I wasn't aware of everything. For example, I doubt I even had a concept of when games came on, etc. By 1987, I was in front of the TV every Sunday morning, read every article in the papers, etc. The other charming thing about that season was the fact that we came out of nowhere in the playoffs despite winning the division. People talked about the Bears and the 49ers during that post-season.

In 1991, it was more of an inevitable championship and, as the season wore on, I just got scared that something fluky would happen to ruin our dominant run. In the end, nothing did and we rightfully hoisted the Lombardi trophy!

My vote goes for the '83 Redskins. Had they won the Super Bowl, this would be no argument.

• They went 14-2, where both losses were by 1 point each.
  • 541 points scored compared to 332 allowed. That's a +209 differential.
  • +43 turnover differential. That's incredible.
  • They rolled the Rams 51-7 in the first round of the playoffs.
  • Riggins rushed for 1347 yards and 24 TDs, the latter was a record held for 12 years.

They were unstoppable, until Black Sunday happened.

My vote goes for the '83 Redskins. Had they won the Super Bowl, this would be no argument.

• They went 14-2, where both losses were by 1 point each.
  • 541 points scored compared to 332 allowed. That's a +209 differential.
  • +43 turnover differential. That's incredible.
  • They rolled the Rams 51-7 in the first round of the playoffs.
  • Riggins rushed for 1347 yards and 24 TDs, the latter was a record held for 12 years.

They were unstoppable, until Black Sunday happened.

Truly great teams don't allow a Black Sunday to happen...that's why they CAN'T beat out another 14-2 team that scored a bunch of points and blew out its playoffs opponents (including in the Super Bowl).

From http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/1983__The_Best_Team_In_Redskins_History__1680.jsp

Quotes:

"What do you call a team that scored a then-NFL record 541 points, posts a remarkable plus-43 turnover ratio, loses a total of two regular-season games by one point each, and annihilates opponent after opponent en route to reaching its second straight Super Bowl?"

"Redskins guard Russ Grimm, a pillar on the "Hogs," rated that team above the Redskins’ 1991 squad that also finished 14-2 and advanced to win Super Bowl XXVI... ...'The best team I played on was the 1983 team," Grimm said. "We lost two games that year by one point. We averaged nearly 35 points per game.'"

Good enough for Grimm, good enough for me. 1983 Redskins were the best Redskins team of all time.

From http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/1983__The_Best_Team_In_Redskins_History__1680.jsp

Quotes:

"What do you call a team that scored a then-NFL record 541 points, posts a remarkable plus-43 turnover ratio, loses a total of two regular-season games by one point each, and annihilates opponent after opponent en route to reaching its second straight Super Bowl?"

"Redskins guard Russ Grimm, a pillar on the "Hogs," rated that team above the Redskins’ 1991 squad that also finished 14-2 and advanced to win Super Bowl XXVI... ...'The best team I played on was the 1983 team," Grimm said. "We lost two games that year by one point. We averaged nearly 35 points per game.'"

Good enough for Grimm, good enough for me. 1983 Redskins were the best Redskins team of all time.

He's entitled to his opinion and it's not ridiculous. I would just disagree.

TY TD_wr

It would of been nice for Coach to bow out at the very top of the mountain; but then on the other side of that, the respect I have for the man doubled when he came back, through sheer love of the B&G, at a stage of his life when he really should of had his feet up, to right a badly wronged ship. And although he didn't ultimately win a 4th Lombardi, which disgracefully get's used against him by some on here to lambast his second go-around; it sure as heck wasn't for the lack of trying and darn hard work, and, if nothing else, he turned a laugh a minute National laughing stock into respected opponents league wide again.

Hail.

TY TD_wr

It would of been nice for Coach to bow out at the very top of the mountain; but then on the other side of that, the respect I have for the man doubled when he came back, through sheer love of the B&G, at a stage of his life when he really should of had his feet up, to right a badly wronged ship. And although he didn't ultimately win a 4th Lombardi, which disgracefully get's used against him by some on here to lambast his second go-around; it sure as heck wasn't for the lack of trying and darn hard work, and, if nothing else, he turned a laugh a minute National laughing stock into respected opponents league wide again.

Hail.

Absolutely true. And, as I mentioned, getting the 1992 team to the playoffs with all the injuries and old players might have been a better coaching job than winning it all in 1991. Some of our key contributors got old pretty quickly!

Archived