Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

bushel of blues in northern Outer Banks?

mcsluggo

I am going to Duck next week. woot! :)

does anybody have any recommendations on places to pick up a bushel of crabs in the northern part of the outer banks?? I have to confess that i have been a free-rider in the crab department for my entire life--- it was aways my family or friends that bought 'em and then prepared ‘em, and then dumped 'em on a stack of newspapers next to some melted butter... my only contribution has ever been to rip them open and eat them.

the problem is, i am going with my wife's family this time, and there is a woeful lack of proper crab tradition in that clan, so i will be forced to prophesize to the uninitiated, and take care of all the mundane purchasing and setting up myself. (honestly… I REALLY WAS supposed to be born into royalty, and have a staff to take care of this sort of dreg. Something went terribly wrong)

so questions:

where in the northern outer banks can I buy a bushel ?

will I need to arrange for this ahead of time?

Will they be pre-steamed and old-bay doused? Or will I have to do that myself?

how many (basically non-crab-eating) people can a bushel keep happy?

Thanks!!

Not sure if you're talking about way north like Duck/Corolla or northern Nags Head.

Carawan Seafood is on Route 158 as you get onto the Outer Banks on the right just after you cross the Wright Memorial Bridge (near the Walmart). They've got more reasonable prices than further up Rte. 12 into Duck and Corolla. They'll steam the crabs for you as well.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/carawan-seafood-co-kill-devil-hills

I have to confess that i have been a free-rider in the crab department for my entire life--- it was aways my family or friends that bought 'em and then prepared ‘em, and then dumped 'em on a stack of newspapers next to some melted butter... my only contribution has ever been to rip them open and eat them.

Typical. What other contribution did you EVER make?

(honestly… I REALLY WAS supposed to be born into royalty, and have a staff to take care of this sort of dreg. Something went terribly wrong)

Primogeniture is a *****, ain't it? :silly:

Oh, and save some for me, you greedy ****.

I miss the blues. Dungeness crab sucks in comparison.

I will say Dirty Dicks is best seafood on OBX 3 years running. Also Duck is awesome!! I stayed in Nags Head two weeks ago for a week and man that was fun. oh suggestion. Mexi Cali- 2 dollar half LB of shrimp 4 dollar full LB shrimp and beer specials during happy hour which goes from like 4 til 6.

Mile post 9. Right near Kill Devil heads/Nag heads Border

Must go to clubs- The PIT(If clubs are your thing) I think Friday Nite is the crazy nite. Sorry I don't completely remember what day I went there with friends.lol

Never been to Dirty Dicks. The whole snicker-snicker name and double-entendre advertising is just too juvenile and obnoxious. I don't mind some subtle racy branding, but "Dirty Dicks" is just so ham-handed it's off-putting to me. ("I got crabs at Dirty Dicks." Heheheh. Get it? Heheheh. :rolleyes: ) It screams Redneck Riviera and belongs in Panama City or Biloxi.

Same with Try My Nuts (though not quite as bad).

Edit: :rotflmao: They actually DO have a location in Panama City.

Typical. What other contribution did you EVER make?

Primogeniture is a *****, ain't it? :silly:

Oh, and save some for me, you greedy ****.

I miss the blues. Dungeness crab sucks in comparison.

i save for NOBODY..... minemine mine mine minemineminemine

<i am a happy miser>

rcCXnXDiKoQ

Never been to Dirty Dicks. The whole snicker-snicker name and double-entendre advertising is just too juvenile and obnoxious. I don't mind some subtle racy branding, but "Dirty Dicks" is just so ham-handed it's off-putting to me. ("I got crabs at Dirty Dicks." Heheheh. Get it? Heheheh. :rolleyes: ) It screams Redneck Riviera and belongs in Panama City or Biloxi.

Same with Try My Nuts (though not quite as bad).

Edit: :rotflmao: They actually DO have a location in Panama City.

i agree WHOLEHEARTEDLY!

i have a hard time actually defining exactly what the problem is, given that i love stupid beavis moments, and say "thatswhatshesaid" as much as the next guy... but the DIrty Dicks marketing machine just blows.

THANK YOU for the numbers, also :)

Archived