Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MSN.Foxsports.com: Shanahan and Allen form dream front office in D.C. (MET)

SMOSS89

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Washington-Redskins-Daniel-Snyder-Mike-Shanahan-NFL

Dan Snyder says he can now “sleep at night.”

The same goes for every Washington Redskins fan thanks to the dream team of Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen.

For the first time in his 11-year ownership tenure, Snyder's paired a head coach and general manager whose expertise is beyond reproach.

Shanahan and Allen were hired to win something they both already own, but the Redskins haven’t earned in 18 seasons: A Super Bowl2_11pxw.gif ring.

“They know what they want and are working hard to go get it,” Snyder told FOXSports.com after last Thursday’s minicamp practice. “I’m just enjoying myself. It’s been a lot of fun for me. It’s been effortless on my part.

“With Bruce and Mike, you have this coach and front office camaraderie that’s really special. To see it is really wonderful for me.”

Not to mention a necessary departure from the nightmarish 2009 Redskins.

It wasn’t just the 4-12 record – Washington’s worst since 1994 – that was so unsettling. The dysfunctional nature of the Jim Zorn-Vinny Cerrato regime brought out the worst in what was once one of the NFL’s proudest franchises.

Snyder’s description of the past two seasons as “rough” is an understatement. Among the many issues maligning the team, defensive end Phillip Daniels pointed to teammates who “would miss a lot of practices. Guys wouldn’t be ready to go. They’d miss games because they had a little fingernail (hurt).” Center Casey Rabach recalled a “loosey-goosey” environment with “a lot of rumors that were always floating around the building and what not.”

All of that has changed with Shanahan and Allen running the show.

“Discipline is the key,” said Daniels, a Redskins player since 2004. “That’s what coach Shanahan is bringing in here. Discipline will win you five or six games – easy.”

Said tight end Chris Cooley: “It’s different in a good way. I think it’s what you expect out of an NFL organization. They’re paying us so much money you think you would get everything all the time, guys who would come in and study and do everything they could (to win). Mike demands it. That’s the biggest difference and what guys are recognizing and respecting.”

Just ask Albert Haynesworth.

Snyder described his absence from offseason activities as “disappointing,” but the Redskins aren’t coddling their $100-million defensive lineman. Shanahan's taken the hard-line stance that he expects the disgruntled Haynesworth to report for training camp and play wherever the coaches tell him, especially after paying him a $21 million roster bonus in April. The Redskins don’t seem inclined to grant Haynesworth’s trade request nor release him without a return of bonus money. A recoupment grievance also is a strong possibility.

Shanahan’s approach is strongly supported by Redskins players whose minicamp was overshadowed by Haynesworth’s absence.

“He really hasn’t been missed on the field,” Daniels said. “We’ve been practicing hard to win games. My thing is we’ll go with who we’ve got here and good things are going to happen. It’s still a good locker room. Nobody really talks about it other than when the (media) questions come up.

“I think everybody is upset that he’s not here. But at the same time, we’re pretty much at the point with him asking to be traded that we’ve got to move forward without him. That’s what we expect.”

Snyder helped create this mess. Long enamored with star athletes, he personally courted Haynesworth and offered an obscene free-agent contract to a player whose suspect work ethic with the Titans was no secret.

Such mistakes were commonplace when Snyder took an active approach in personnel decisions. Those days are gone. He stepped aside as Allen and Shanahan orchestrated the offseason trades for quarterback Donovan McNabb and tackle Jammal Brown while overhauling an aged, overpaid roster.

“I learned – and I think this has to do with Joe Gibbs – the most important thing for me personally is to have a head coach who is extremely competent,” said Snyder, referring to Zorn’s renowned predecessor. “That’s what I’ve got with Mike. It creates an opportunity for me to be extremely hands off and not have to worry.”

While they’ve never worked together before, Shanahan and Allen have something in common besides strong track records. Both have something to prove after being fired following the 2008 season. One of the NFL’s most brilliant offensive minds, Shanahan won two Super Bowls during 14 years in Denver. Allen helped build the rosters that led Tampa Bay to one Lombardi Trophy2_11pxw.gif and two other playoff appearances in seven seasons.

“It’s quite interesting to leave and start over again,” Shanahan said. “Sometimes you do get a little stale when you’re at a place for so long. They get used to you. You get used to them. You really have a lot more energy to do things the way you want to and the little things the right way. Not that you were doing them the wrong way, but you get to regroup and start all over again. That’s been fun.”

Allen's downright giddy about getting to help run the team his late father George coached from 1971 to 1977. Snyder jokes that Allen's the only employee who refers to team headquarters as the “new Redskins Park” because he remembers the original location before 1992.

“It’s critical to the community that we bring respect to the Redskins brand again,” Allen said. “No one was a fan of the 4-12 team. Some people coming to our games have been coming for 30, 40, 50 years. We have to respect what they’ve seen and why they became fans. We all have benefited from what they’ve created, not only for the Redskins, but the league. As we appreciate them, it will teach us our duties for today.”

That’s one of the reasons Allen organized an alumni gathering last Thursday for dozens of former players, coaches and staff. The group reminisced and watched practice while a glowing Allen mingled with those he calls “family.”

“They’ve always been welcome,” said Snyder, who took photos with some of his own childhood heroes. “But I don’t think until Bruce came in that we’ve really been organized like this. It’s great to see.”

Say what you will about Snyder’s controversial management style, but his desire to win can’t be questioned. He's spent freely on personnel. He hired a college wiz (Steve Spurrier), a Redskins legend (Gibbs), a respected graybeard (Marty Schottenheimer) and an up-and-coming offensive assistant (Zorn) trying to find the right head coach. None of this has worked. The Redskins are one of just four NFC squads that haven’t reached a conference championship game since Snyder became team owner in 1999.

“I can’t even imagine what it has been like for Mr. Snyder,” said Cooley, a Redskins player since 2004. “He’s scrutinized so closely by the media, the fans and even people on the team. He’s a guy that loves football. He loves the Redskins. He would give anything to win a Super Bowl. It’s hard to fault that. But I think he’s made good choices this season. I’m really looking forward to moving forward. I know he is, too.”

Even if that means moving away from the spotlight and meddling with football operations.

“This is now going again in the right direction,” Snyder said. “I enjoyed myself with Joe Gibbs. I think the fans enjoyed his past three years. Now, we’re really able to pick it up with Mike and Bruce. It’s exciting again, but it’s going to take some time. We’re going to be patient and build something special here.

“I’m just enjoying the ride.”

And for that, Redskin Nation can rest easy.

jizz-in-my-pants.gif

^^^

That's what happened after I read that article. I truly hope we've got the right mix in the FO and team. We deserve it, we've been patient, loyal and supportive of this team, it would be nice to see it repaid.

This is amazing. And seconded.

"Cash or credit?"

10. Please adhere to the following policies when using content from outside sources:

If you are posting an article from an outside source, title your thread in the following format: "SHORTFORM SOURCE: HEADLINE" (Ex.: "WP: Redskins Name Mike Shanahan New Head Coach") without editorializing the headline with your own version.

If applicable, include a direct link (i.e. URL) to the original page/site. Paste the URL directly atop the post. This provides credibility and attribution, and allows visitors the option of visiting the respective website.

Include a portion or portions of the article's relevant text (for example, the lead sentence or a particular paragraph or two). Please resist from posting large sections of the content.

You and only you are responsible for the content you post. Please see our copyright statement.

Now that's the spirit!
My first year as a season ticket holder was Snyder's first game as owner. I have suffered a great and terrible fate as that man has caused myself, and the city of Washington DC, a good deal of distress, as we have watched him take our beloved Redskins and reduced them to a laughing stock, all for the glorification of his massive ego!

Just once it would be nice to read a quote from Snyder where he acknowledges that he has been completely over his head for the past 10 years instead of these half veiled comments such as how having competent staff now "takes pressure off him". 10 + years it took this genius to realize what fans and local media have been telling him since day one. He is darn lucky he has had a fanbase this loyal to count on for support, any other business would have gone under in half the time.

Well, it seems like they're still in "win now" mode with the trades for McNabb and Brown. I'm no GM, but we're still exchanging draft picks for vets which is what we begged Vinny & Co not to do.

The goodwill surrounding Redskins park is certainly encouraging, and you can feel the optimism from the comments from players. Allen and Shanny have earned the benefit of the doubt, and I'll continue to trust their decision making until proven otherwise. I would like to see a little more outward emphasis on building this team for sustained success in the future though.

Otherwise, I think its tough to argue that they haven't been top notch this offseason.

My first year as a season ticket holder was Snyder's first game as owner. I have suffered a great and terrible fate as that man has caused myself, and the city of Washington DC, a good deal of distress, as we have watched him take our beloved Redskins and reduced them to a laughing stock, all for the glorification of his massive ego!

Right, because he invested so much money to take over the team he loves, to intentionally destroy them as a testament to his ego. :doh:

Snyder can literally do no right on this board. He gets zero credit for doing what is right and all the blame when something goes wrong. And the same old lines are trotted out each time to vilify him. It gets tired....

Right, because he invested so much money to take over the team he loves, to intentionally destroy them as a testament to his ego. :doh:

No one said he did it intentionally but his ego was far too much in play for a guy who hadn't ever sniffed an NFL locker room. He thought he could do it his way, he had been doing it in business since he was 18. He messed around for 10+ years raising ticket prices to bring in washed up vets and sell jerseys while putting a garbage product on the field.

He will get credit around here when he proves this is a long term commitment to winning and doing things the right way, its been a long offseason but we are only 8 months removed from a 4-12 debacle of a season which included the swinging gate and law suits against season ticket holders.

Well, it seems like they're still in "win now" mode with the trades for McNabb and Brown. I'm no GM, but we're still exchanging draft picks for vets which is what we begged Vinny & Co not to do.

The quote about Shanahan also tells me that we likely will continue to have retreads for head coaches for the forseeable future. Back when Spurrier was fired, I questioned if a relative NFL rookie head coach could succeed here. Given what happened with Zorn, I still question that.

As I said before, I don't see Shanahan coaching here for the next 10 years even if he's successful. Hopefully, whatever transition happens eventually will be smoother than when Gibbs retired.

The goodwill surrounding Redskins park is certainly encouraging, and you can feel the optimism from the comments from players. Allen and Shanny have earned the benefit of the doubt, and I'll continue to trust their decision making until proven otherwise. I would like to see a little more outward emphasis on building this team for sustained success in the future though.

It is easy to have optimism when you really haven't done anything yet. We've had some real feel good offseasons before which didn't last long into the season.

Otherwise, I think its tough to argue that they haven't been top notch this offseason.

Given what they've had to work with this offseason, they seem to have done a solid job on the surface. Then again, we have yet to see how all of this is going to come together.

True, they are still exchanging draft picks for vets, but these are good thoughtful trades that we didn't do while Vinny was here. No Archuletta, TJ Duckett, and Brandon Lloyd trades.

We've also added cheap veteran talent that creates an environment of competition. The younger players will come, but the vets needed to come in for this season. Shanahan and Allen aren't known for trading away their draft picks. Just look at their history.

The Brown and McNabb trades were necessary. If it was Vinny, the Brown trade would have been done prior to the draft and it would have been for a 1st or 2nd or both of those picks. He then wouldn't have drafted Trent Williams and would have tried to make a splash and move up in the draft to draft a QB.

Now I agree, this was a good article, but Allen has never been part of a franchise that he helped lead to a championship. He helped bring the Raiders to the Super Bowl, but he wasn't part of the team that Gruden won a super bowl with in Tampa. He got to Tampa right after they won the Super Bowl.

The Tampa team was built by Tony Dungy.

If you cant tell the difference you might want to look closer.

Plus, would you want a front office to take a more "win later" approach?

I'll never understand when people complain about "win now".

Isn't every teams goal every year to win the Superbowl?

That's why the game is played, to win!

The quote about Shanahan also tells me that we likely will continue to have retreads for head coaches for the forseeable future. Back when Spurrier was fired, I questioned if a relative NFL rookie head coach could succeed here. Given what happened with Zorn, I still question that.

Kyle is being groomed to take over when Mike leaves, there will be no deterrence from that plan, I dont want any HC's not named Shanahan for another decade.

The Redskins are one of just four NFC squads that haven’t reached a conference championship game since Snyder became team owner in 1999.

Redskins, Cowboys, Lions, and 49ers. What an odd group, especially considering the state of all but the Lions prior to those years. I did notice that the 49ers went in 98 though.

Anyways, excellent article. I've been burned quite a few times by the offseason hype machine. I wanted to not buy in, but this offseason has been quite a show and I'm definitely excited (against my own good judgement). We'll see though.

When I hear Bruce Allen talk about his duty to the fanbase, to the whole Redskins community, when I hear him say he didn't need to have the alumni day but that it was just the right thing to do, when I see what they have done so far and the attitude they have displayed, I know we are on the right track.

I can sympathize with the doubters, if you're once bitten twice shy, what the hell are you after being gnawed to the bone by a decade of incompetence? But so far, every single thing we or anyone has asked has been done. We have a competent, professional FO handling the team. We have a man that genuinely understands the history of the franchise and respects all those fans that have hung in there for so long. They have done a stellar job revamping the roster, and done it in a reserved, professional manner, not playing for headlines.

Yes, we won't know for sure until the season begins, but what more could they possibly be doing now? They have wildly exceeded expectations so far.

Archived