Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP RI - Austin getting a long look a WR, kick returner

Spanky73188

Didn't see this article posted in the Stadium, only breaking news

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/red...-a-w.html#more

Because of NFL rules, rookie wide receiver-kick returner Terrence Austin was prohibited from participating in most of the Redskins' offseason program while UCLA classes were still in session. But Austin could be very involved in the team's plans when training camp begins July 29 at Redskins Park.

While looking at some highlights and reading up on this guy, he reminds me a lot of former McNabb bestie Desean Jackson. Below are Jackson's combine results.

5′9¾″ 169 lb 4.35 40-yard dash

Height, weight and 40-yard dash from 2008 NFL Combine, all other values from Pro Day workout[9]

Austin was not invited to the combine but based on his pro day results we know that he is 5'11", 180 Ibs and ran a 4.38 40-yard dash.

Despite not participating too much in spring OTA's because UCLA hadn't graduated yet, Austin has impressed coaches. Everything i've read about this guy has been uber positive. Team Captain, 2nd all-time in UCLA yards behind Maurice Jones-Drew, and pound for pound the strongest guy on their team, according to their head coach.

Austins work ethic should help him secure kick off returns but I really hope he shows out in pre-season. I feel like we lack a serious deep threat for McNabb, and this guy should be given an opportunity.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_EPhasjfng&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_EPhasjfng&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

So is the larger version his superhero form?

Like a minor case of Incredible Hulkism?

Hopefully that is the one that shows up on game day.

True haha. Why are college players allowed to lie on their listings so much? I wouldn't get crazy over one inch and ten pounds though.

True haha. Why are college players allowed to lie on their listings so much? I wouldn't get crazy over one inch and ten pounds though.

Haha...it is at least a little bit funny that you rounded off a quarter of an inch and a pound in your response. That must have been how it started for Austin. Before we know it he will be over 6 feet tall and 200 lbs.

Two things from the video...

1. He looks like he's a precise route runner. So he doesn't rely only on his speed to get open, which will help him at the next level where everybody's fast and quick.

2. Wide receivers coach Reggie Moore quote: "He is pound for pound the strongest player on the entire team."

So is the larger version his superhero form?

Like a minor case of Incredible Hulkism?

Hopefully that is the one that shows up on game day.

From reading the post, the smaller were Desean Jackson's numbers and the larger were Austin's numbers. Not saying it was accurate, just going by the post.

From reading the post, the smaller were Desean Jackson's numbers and the larger were Austin's numbers. Not saying it was accurate, just going by the post.

Gracias. Reading comprehension is my friend.

For some reason I had it in my head that Austin was a tiny guy, so I took the 5'9" 169 and ran with it. Even now I am having a hard time realizing that Austin is actually bigger than Jackson. It just doesn't make sense in my brain.

At least he can play on teams, unlike your boy Marko.

dayam man, going right for the jugular... haha

thats right, but i am willing to bet ungodly amounts of money that marko will have a career that austin wishes he had.

marko got a slow start, but i def feel that shannallen really screwed the pooch on that one... they were soo busy cleaning out cerrato's closet they failed to gauge the potential they were leaving at the curb. you can argue all you want that shannallen really knows talent and that they determined that marko didnt really have all that much. it may or may not be true. but it is definitely more clear that this new regime was more focused on removing all cerrato's influence than they were in infusing young talent.

they are self centered in that aspect. they want great picks to develop where they can be attributed to the success and didnt wany any glory going to cerrato. but then what coach/recruiter wouldnt want that?

they failed to see raw talent and potential in picks that were not theirs. ive mentioned before i dont really like this new regime, but i will wait to see how it plays out into the season. shanahan doesnt have me jumping out of my seat nor does he have me in the dumps.

the following is going to be a stretch, but i think marko if he plays to his potential, he will go to have a near hall of fame career (i dream in madden)

i think marko if he plays to his potential, he will go to have a near hall of fame career

This is why I went straight for the jugular. I'm not sure if you can rationally analyze our WRs due to an almost unhealthy obsession with Marko Mitchell. Thus anyone who appears to have "taken" his roster spot is immediately discarded before you have even seen them in the B&G.

I have no benchmarks for TA, but I am at least going to give him the year+ that all late round picks (like Marko) should get before dismissing him based on youtube footage.

the following is going to be a stretch, but i think marko if he plays to his potential, he will go to have a near hall of fame career

WHAT?!?!? The only way this will happen is if future hall of famer Colt Brennan is throwing him the ball! :ols:

I'm all for being disappointed with a guy we drafted being cut but let's be real. Like the poster above said, you lose all credibility in your post by making that statement.

i forget... this isnt madden haha. i suppose its time to get over marko..

but about TA, hes nothing we dont have. and if he has the speed you say he has, why has he not taken ANYTHING to the house. chew on that for a little.

the following is going to be a stretch, but i think marko if he plays to his potential, he will go to have a near hall of fame career

WOW..you know this after watching him in a few 2nd half preseason games? That's pretty good!

When we cut Marcus Mason the first time,I remember people saying he was a number 1 back in this league.And it was a big mistake to cut him..It would be hard to find those people today.

Back on topic.. So this is our new Rock Cartwright?

seems intrigueing

I would hope he could develop into gadget player who helps in the return game, and as a deep threat/trick play WR.

Like our new Antwaan Randle El, if Randle El had speed, and could do more than fall over on punt returns. Basically, what we all thought we were getting when we signed Randle El.

When we cut Marcus Mason the first time,I remember people saying he was a number 1 back in this league.And it was a big mistake to cut him..It would be hard to find those people today.

i wasnt one of those people. mason was nothing special at all.

i will be around and will eat my foot if TA tears it up more so than MM. id be even glad to do it, afterall TA is on the skins and MM isnt. my allegiance is to the skins and not a particular player. i just felt that shannallen made a HUGE mistake letting him go.

if he was THAT bad as some think.. then why was he picked up by the lions within 24 hours? (ya they suck but MM learning from megatron can only be good)

does not matter how fast your 40 time is, if you cant take PR/KR to the house which he has not shown yet...

Speed has nothing to do with taking a PR/KR to the house. Rock went to the house on a KR and we all know that he has no speed, Wade on a PR went to the house, and he will never run a 4.3 40. Just because he didn't take one to the house on SP doesn't mean that he doesn't have break away speed. Look at Austin in his highlights in the passing game, and if you don't see that he has break away speed which he has something is wrong with what you are looking at.

I have to agree with Honejc on this one. At first I really did want to, how could a guy with 4.3 speed not have "breakaway speed," but when watching his highlights he hardly ever creates deep separation from his man, and I didn't see the speed necessary to turn the corner.

With that being said, I like Austin and think he's got a good shot at making the roster. At the present moment he's probably one of our top 2 options at KR, and he appears to be one hell of a route runner from what I've seen. I imagine him as a slight upgrade of ARE, but certainly not the D Jack type player some are hoping for.

Archived