Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GuardianUk.com: Nebraska town votes on plan for licences for immigrants

sjinhan

Technically not a ban but you need to apply for a license... sad that its coming to this... the lawmakers need to settle this once and for all...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jun/21/us-town-licence-foreign-nationals

US town votes on plan to ban foreigners renting homes or having jobs

Fremont, Nebraska, to vote in referendum that would mean Hispanic migrants would need to apply for a licence to live there

A Nebraska town, angry over a surge in the number of Hispanic residents, is voting today in a referendum on a new law that would require foreign nationals to get a licence to live in the town.

The referendum in Fremont has been prompted by a sharp rise in Hispanic people drawn by work at local meatpacking plants combined with fears over job losses and demand placed on the town's social services because of the economic downturn.

If approved, tenants who are not US-citizens would be required to get an "occupancy licence" from the city council. Even residents of nursing homes would be required to obtain such a licence.

Federal law requires employers to verify the immigration status of workers but the proposed Fremont law would also open violators to local sanctions. Supporters insist it is not racist and is essential to protect jobs, healthcare and education for local people because the town's Hispanic population has surged from 165 to more than 2,000 in the past 20 years.

It is unclear what proportion of those are in the US illegally but the big meatpacking plants where many work say they only employ people whose immigrant status has been verified. The Fremont Tribune has reported cases of Hispanic people, who are legal residents, being verbally abused and told to return to Mexico.

Jerry Hart, one of the three sponsors of the legislation, told the Fremont Tribune that the proposed law is in part a security measure. "The federal law was put into place for a reason – to control how many people come into this country and to regulate the people, so they don't have communicable diseases and are not bringing in drugs or having criminal records and these people who are sneaking in – you don't know what you're getting. We could have terrorists and gang members and people involved in drugs," he said.

John Wiegert, another of the sponsors of the referendum, said: "A lot of them are coming here for the American dream and they're causing nothing but an American nightmare to me."

Nebraska Governor Dave Heineman has declined to take a position even though he is a former Fremont city councillor and owns and rents out property in the city.

click the link for rest of the article...

I've lived in college towns where there have been restrictions against non-residents living in places (or the other thing is having to many non-related people live in one place. If you're all related we don't care if you put 20 people in the house, but if you aren't there can't be more than 6), aimed at keeping college kids from taking over to much of the town.

I was always surprised those sorts of things were legal.

I've lived in college towns where there have been restrictions against non-residents living in places (or the other thing is having to many non-related people live in one place. If you're all related we don't care if you put 20 people in the house, but if you aren't there can't be more than 6), aimed at keeping college kids from taking over to much of the town.

I was always surprised those sorts of things were legal.

They have the same thing in Baltimore County. You can't have more than 4 unrelated people living in a house together. Its their way of cutting down on frat houses I guess.

If approved, tenants who are not US-citizens would be required to get an "occupancy licence" from the city council. Even residents of nursing homes would be required to obtain such a licence

I don't see what the big deal is assuming that anyone who is here LEGALLY would get treated the same as anyone else. I'm tired of having everyone go out of their way to help ILLEGAL immigrants.

Now I have gone on record before as saying I think it should be easier to become a citizen. But if your not here LEGALLY, we should be doing everything we can to make your life as difficult as possible.

But at this point we are :beatdeadhorse:

Won't be long before the Feds come out and tackle immigration reform. I just hope they see things the way I do.

EDIT: I don't see anywhere that says that if they are here legally, they wouldn't get a license. It struck me as a way to ensure that they foreigners there are there legally. If there is a part that I missed that says that can and will screw legal immigrants, please point that out to me.

My town (home of the Univ of Fla) limits occupancy to three unrelated people.

However, that's in areas which are zoned for single-family housing.

I don't see what the big deal is assuming that anyone who is here LEGALLY would get treated the same as anyone else.

Uh, the mere fact that they are being required to obtain a license to be allowed in town says that they aren't being treated the same as everyone else.

EDIT: I don't see anywhere that says that if they are here legally, they wouldn't get a license.

It also doesn't say that they will, either.

I think it's interesting that a UK paper reports that the residents are voting for a law that would require foreign nationals to get a special licence in order to live in the town.

Other sites show they are voting on a proposed ordinance that would ban the harboring and hiring of and renting to illegal immigrants.

Hmmmmm.

Uh, the mere fact that they are being required to obtain a license to be allowed in town says that they aren't being treated the same as everyone else.

Ok...but not every human is going to be treated exactly the same as every other. I'm not saying the way they are doing it is the BEST way possible, but they could do a lot worse. I read it and thought "wow, they are trying to find a way to control illegals in their town and a way to fine the peole who employ them, etc..." and kudos for them for trying to find a way to deal with it.

It also doesn't say that they will, either.

I hate this argument. Why are you assuming the worst about this town? What have you seen that makes you think they would? Not being sarcastic, just trying to compare my initial thoughts from the article and yours.

EDIT: I don't see anywhere that says that if they are here legally, they wouldn't get a license. It struck me as a way to ensure that they foreigners there are there legally. If there is a part that I missed that says that can and will screw legal immigrants, please point that out to me.

again.. comes down to this...

i am US citizen but I guess I dont look "American" since I was born in South Korea.

Now as an US citizen should the burden be on me to prove that I am a citizen while LIVING IN MY OWN FREAKING COUNTRY!?!?!?!

I hate this argument. Why are you assuming the worst about this town? What have you seen that makes you think they would? Not being sarcastic, just trying to compare my initial thoughts from the article and yours.

I was responding to your announcement of "well, I don't see anything that specifically says 'X', therefore I'm going to announce that they must be doing 'Y'."

The article also doesn't say that the rule won't be "all foreigners are welcome, as long as they don't look Hispanic", either. Should I simply announce that that's what I'm going to assume, unless someone can prove otherwise to me?

As Rocky has stated - the actual law is to ban the hiring and renting of property to undocumented (illegal) residents in the town.

http://iowaindependent.com/37175/nebraska-town-to-vote-on-hiring-housing-ban-for-illegal-immigrants

The ordinance would require all employers within city limits to use the federal E-Verify system when hiring new employees. Those who wish to rent an apartment or home would have to get a license from the city, and city officials will have to verify they are in the country legally.

I think it's interesting that a UK paper reports that the residents are voting for a law that would require foreign nationals to get a special licence in order to live in the town.

Other sites show they are voting on a proposed ordinance that would ban the harboring and hiring of and renting to illegal immigrants.

Hmmmmm.

Googling "Fremont Nebraska" to see if I can find some other viewpoints.

Only really good article I've found so far is this one from HuffPost. Looks, from that article, like both statements are true: Renters will be required to apply for a license to rent, and the city will refuse to issue the license to illegals.

If approved, the measure will require potential renters to apply for a license to rent. The application process will force Fremont officials to check if the renters are in the country legally. If they are found to be illegal, they will not be issued a license allowing them to rent.

The ordinance also requires businesses to use the federal E-Verify database to ensure employees are allowed to work.

So my uncle has a house in Bermuda and my cousins own a boat dock and the major department store in Bermuda. While in college I called him to see if he get help me get a Summer job doing whatever, I didn't really care. He said flat out, there is no way it would ever happen, Bermuda is smart and saves it's jobs for it's people, those racist pricks.

That was the end of the conversation.

If done properly, I don't have a problem with this at all. Good for them.

again.. comes down to this...

i am US citizen but I guess I dont look "American" since I was born in South Korea.

Now as an US citizen should the burden be on me to prove that I am a citizen while LIVING IN MY OWN FREAKING COUNTRY!?!?!?!

Fine....require everyone to get a license, I don't care. I'll get one.

At some point, you need to prove that your doing something legally. I think ILLEGAL immigrants have become enough of a problem that we should all be willing to take a little time out of our day to go get a license if it will help curb the ILLEGAL immigrants problem.

and as for your question, here is another...should a cop be able to pull over someone who is driving a car because they look way to young to drive? is that some invasion of civil liberties?

Different places are experimenting with their own solutions because big government is to busy to solve the problem. They can tell the states they must have a certain speed limit, but can't control our borders. huge fail!

PROPOSED ORDINANCE NO. 5165

"Shall the City of Fremont, Nebraska, enact proposed Ordinance No. 5165, amending the Fremont Municipal Code to prohibit the harboring of illegal aliens or hiring of unauthorized aliens, providing definitions, making provision for occupancy licenses, providing judicial process, repealing conflicting provisions, and establishing an effective date for this ordinance?

Yes in favor of proposed Ordinance No. 5165

No against proposed Ordinance No. 5165

TEXT OF PROPOSED ORDINANCE NO. 5165:

PROPOSED ORDINANCE NO. 5165

AN ORDINANCE OF THE CITY OF FREMONT, NEBRASKA, AMENDING THE FREMONT MUNICIPAL CODE, ORDINANCE NO 3139 TO PROHIBIT THE HARBORING OF ILLEGAL ALIENS OR HIRING OF UNAUTHORIZED ALIENS, PROVIDING DEFINITIONS, MAKING PROVISION FOR OCCUPANCY LICENSES, PROVIDING JUDICIAL PROCESS, REPEALING CONFLICTING PROVISIONS, AND ESTABLISHING AN EFFECTIVE DATE FOR THIS ORDINANCE.

WHEREAS, Federal law requires that certain conditions be met before an alien may be authorized to be lawfully present in the United States. Those conditions are found principally at United States Code Title 8, Section 1101, et. seq., and;

WHEREAS, United States Code Title 8, Section 1324(a)(1)(A) prohibits the harboring of illegal aliens. The provision of housing to illegal aliens is a fundamental component of the federal immigration crime of harboring, and;

WHEREAS, United States Code Title 8, Section 1324a prohibits the knowing employment of unauthorized aliens; and United States Code Title 8, Section 1324a(h)(2) permits state and local governments to suspend the businesslicenses of those who employ unauthorized aliens, and;

WHEREAS, The presence of illegal aliens places a fiscal burden on the City, increasing the demand for, and cost of, public benefits and services, and;.

WHEREAS, Crimes committed by illegal aliens in the City harm the health, safety and welfare of U.S. citizens and aliens lawfully present in the United States, and;

WHEREAS, The employment of unauthorized aliens in the City displaces authorized United States workers and adversely affects their wages, and;

WHEREAS, In 1996 Congress amended the Immigration and Nationality Act to require the federal government to verif the immigration status of any alien upon the request of a state, county, or municipality, for any purpose authorize( by law. United States Code Title 8, Section 1373©. The federal government has established several systems t( accomplish this obligation, including the Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) Program and th( Law Enforcement Support Center (LESC), and;

WHEREAS, This Ordinance is in harmony with the congressional objectives of prohibiting the knowing harboring of illegal aliens and prohibiting the knowing employment of unauthorized aliens, and;

WHEREAS, The Secretary of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security has specifically praised and encouraged those states and localities that require employers to participate in the E-Verify Program, and;

WHEREAS, The City of Fremont shall not construe this ordinance to prohibit the rendering of emergency medical care, emergency assistance, or legal assistance to any person.

So there is the text of their ballot question.

Seems this paper is sensationalizing JUST A TAD. The statute looks to me to be very specific in who it is targeting, and it is not every foreigner.

~Bang

Only really good article I've found so far is this one from HuffPost. Looks, from that article, like both statements are true: Renters will be required to apply for a license to rent, and the city will refuse to issue the license to illegals.

the article is not clear... is it for ALL renters? or ones "suspected" to be illegals...

now if its for ALL renter then I do not have a problem with it but if its targetted towarded "suspected" illegals then I feel like I would be treated as second class citizen within the city of Fremont since I will have to prove my citizenship while my "American-looking" counterparts wouldnt...

Seems perfectly reasonable to me,simply a side effect of lax immigration control and employment verification.

Not much different than having to supply ID for check cashing ect.

At some point, you need to prove that your doing something legally.

Really?

And here I thought that in America, the government had to prove that you were doing something illegally.

and as for your question, here is another...should a cop be able to pull over someone who is driving a car because they look way to young to drive? is that some invasion of civil liberties?

The cop has reasonable grounds to suspect that a crime is being committed right in front of him.

Now if only there was such a thing as "looking illegal", then you would have said something relevant.

the article is not clear... is it for ALL renters? or ones "suspected" to be illegals...

I believe it said "all foreigners", which I assume means "non-citizens".

I'd agree with you, though. If they require it for all renters, then that does away with the "they're only doing it to people who look Hispanic" claim. (Although, no doubt requiring it for all renters would result in a lot more paperwork for the licensing office.)

Really?

And here I thought that in America, the government had to prove that you were doing something illegally.

The cop has reasonable grounds to suspect that a crime is being committed right in front of him.

Now if only there was such a thing as "looking illegal", then you would have said something relevant.

I'm sorry Larry, please explain the huge difference between looking young and looking like an illegal immegrant....(trying not to make any Home Depot jokes:silly:)

At some point we have to allow judgement calls. And it is for our own safety.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me,simply a side effect of lax immigration control and employment verification.

Not much different than having to supply ID for check cashing ect.

Yeah, if the law specifies that the licenses will be issued to anybody who isn't illegal, then I've got no problem.

If they start refusing licenses for other, more nebulous, reasons, then I can begin to see a potential problem. But even then, if it's only for non-citizens, then, well, gee, there's nothing wrong with non-citizens being subject to reasonable scrutiny.

Archived