Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MattFancy Hates: People telling fans who they should root for

MattFancy

Gotta love the people who have two college teams....one for each sport. :ols:

you can have a convoluted reason for rooting for any given team... it just has to be something other than "they are always good"

My dad went to Georgetown, and i used to watch G-town b-ball with him... so i root for Georgetown.

my brother went to Michigan... so i root against michigan ;)

There's also the difference between rooting for a team in a particular game and having a "team".

I've got my "teams" who I root for all the time (Skins, Wiz, Caps, Os etc.), but in 97% of games that I watch in just about every sport, I am rooting for one team over the other for some reason or another - whether it be because a certain result will benefit my team; I can't stand some individual player; I can't stand some fan of that team that I know; etc.

For example, during this year's superbowl, I was rooting for the Colts to beat the Saints. That doesn't mean that I would have rooted for the Colts over some other random team in the SB. That's also not going to stop me from yelling things at Manning at the game in October that will likely result in some over-sensitive ESer starting a thread about how disgraceful the FedEx fans are! :halo:

For me:

MLB - Nationals

NFL - Skins

NBA - traditionally a fan of the Jazz (fundamental team, and family out there got me hooked in the early/mid 90's) but I've been moving towards to Wiz the last three seasons. Once Arenas is gone i'll probably be all Wizards. I just won't and cannot root for him, and never have.

NHL - Caps, and a little of the Calgary Flames I guess because I love their uni's lol.

Gotta love the people who have two college teams....one for each sport. :ols:

Well, I grew up watching the Terps and have kept up with them since the days of Adrian Branch, Buck Williams, Len Bias, Keith Gatling etc. and with Boomer Esiason, Wycheck. But I went to the University of Memphis (Memphis State back then) because of my major. The 2 teams met a couple of years ago in the tournament. Had to root for Memphis because they stood a better chance of going further. If it was the other way around, I would have rooted for the Terps. But I'm not a die hard college fan. I root for my teams, but they aren't my world. How can I put my trust in 18-22 year olds that won't be around for more than a few years.

And my cousin Graduated from Notre Dame, got his masters at G. Mason is now getting his PHD at UF in Gainsville and he's a huge sports fan.

Redskins

Orioles/Nats

Wizards

Capitals

Terps

Memphis Tigers

Agreed. I end up choosing sides in pretty much every sporting event I watch. I might not be passionate about it, but I can't remember the last time I took the time to watch a game and didn't have a preference.

I can... Game 7 2010 NBA Finals Celtics vs Lakers... (Who are you cheering for tonight? No overtime, just get the season over with)

I was like 7 or 8 when I started to pay attention to college sports. I enjoyed watching UNC basketball, mostly because both my parents went to UMD so I had to be difficult as a kid. So I started following them and have been ever since.

With FSU, when I was a kid I thought there uniforms and logo kinda looked like the Redskins so I thought there were somehow related to the Skins. Been rooting for them ever since, even though they haven't done much over the last few years.

When you're a little kid, conferences mean nothing. These are always the two college teams I've followed and I'm not going to stop now just because someone thinks its dumb.

I'm the same way.

I'm a fan of Virginia Tech Football (and pretty much all things VT) except for Maryland basketball. Growing up it was a lot easier to go to College Park to catch a basketball game than to go to Blacksburg to see one. Football is a once a week thing.

Though I know I'm not the only one in the DC area to feel this way.

NFL- Redskins fan since I was 3. Mark Rypien had the funniest name to me. (Keep in mind I was a 3 year old, lol) Have always been a fan since. My number 1 team hands down.

NBA- Lakers fan since I mid-90s. Liked Nick Van Exel cause we had the same first name. :silly: Have been a fan since. Team #2.

NCAA- Oklahoma football fan. I don't even know why I became a fan really. I suppose it's because everyone I knew was a Texas fan and I like being in the minority. :)

I live in West Tennessee, and I get all the time, "why aren't you a Titans fan... You live in Tennessee?"... My response, "I was in Tennessee long before the Titans, *****, I'm a Redskins fan through and through and will be till I'm six feet under." :D

One of my best traits about me is my loyalty. I'm 100% behind all my teams, regardless of where they call their home city or how good or bad they are. The "you have to cheer for the home team" nauseates me. Like I said in another thread, based on that logic, are Hawaiians not supposed to be able to like any professional teams? It's dumb to say you can't, and most likelihood, if you have a problem with it, your own team stinks.

I live in West Tennessee, and I get all the time, "why aren't you a Titans fan... You live in Tennessee?"... My response, "I was in Tennessee long before the Titans, *****, I'm a Redskins fan through and through and will be till I'm six feet under." :D

I have a similar response to people who ask why I'm an O's fan and not a Nats fan.

I don't necessary think that someone who doesn't have a regional tie to a team is a bandwagon fan.

For instance my teams are (with explanations)

Redskins - Growing up in NC before the Panthers came, this is who we got on TV.

Packers - Have been to 2 games at Lambeau and started pulling for them, just not against the Redskins.

Cubs - My mom brought me a Cubs shirt from Chicago when I was little so I started pulling for them (If I had only known)

NC State Wolfpack - Grew up with them

Charlotte Bobcats - Just because they are here, but I am not a huge fan of the NBA.

Now something that I have noticed in NC is that there are a lot of people who are fans of the same combination of teams. It always goes Cowboys/UNC/Yankees.

Isn't it funny that people on here ask why you're not a Nats fan, but no one questions people that are from Baltimore that are Redskins fans?

True.

For the record, I have no problem with people who root for whatever team from whatever city for whatever reason.

But the whole switching allegiances thing when you are grown damn man is just pathetic, IMO.

nope, I will always tell bandwagon fans to suck it. They are the lowest forms of human life and deserve to be ridiculed, especially bandwagon Redskins fans. :pfft:

One of my best traits about me is my loyalty. I'm 100% behind all my teams, regardless of where they call their home city or how good or bad they are. The "you have to cheer for the home team" nauseates me.

This I can agree with. I'm trying to develop my love for the Nationals, but I've been a cubs fan since I started following baseball when I played little league in Vienna. Guess which team I played for? Yup, the Cubs, all three years. DC didn't have a team, so it made sense to me. I've always followed the cubs (until the nats came to town). First MLB game? Nats/cubs (I was so conflicted lol). Along the same lines, I've grown to hate the Cardinals, and probably always will even if my love of the cubs starts to be replaced by a love for the nats. God, I hate Mark McGuire!

needless to say, I attended a Cubs/Astros game in Huston with my church youth group. It pissed them off so much that I cheered for the Cubs (who won)

Terps

Memphis Tigers

That is fine because there is not one or both teams that consistantly perform well at that sport.

My problem is with...being a UNC basketball fan and an FSU football fan. UNC is always good at basketball for the most part and FSU was dominant while this person most likely made his/her "choice" of team.

Also, Syracuse in basketball...and Miami(FL) in football??? C'mon!!!!

And last but not least...Maryland in basketball....and Virginia Tech in football.

I grew up with a guy who liked Arizona in basketball...they were dominant then. Who knows who he likes now....and Miami(FL) in football.

I've seen it and its pathetic.

I usually have no problems with people rooting for teams, heck I had to defend myself when I said I was supporting the Lakers. Oh no, not the Lakers...that horrible team that's only won 3 series against the Celtics all-time...not them! You root for the Celtics! Because you live on the East Coast so you have to root for them...that logic makes no sense

As long as you stick with them through thick and thin I'm fine with that...of course that's hard to do with college football teams because they're good for like 70 years LOL

Talk about a prolonged dynasty

I don't care if you like it or not.

I've been cheering for them both for over 20 years.

Get over it.

No, in all honesty...that's how you should be. Who cares what people care about who you root for. I'm on your side there.

I just think it's a little odd when your BBall team is a BBall school and your FBall team is a FBall school.

The thing about people who root for out of town teams, or teams that play in cities they have zero ties to, are the very definition of band wagon fans, because this is how they became fans.

At some point in the past, given team was playing at a high level, maybe for several years, and even won a championship or two. Maybe the potential "fan" liked their color scheme or something. This person jumped on the band wagon at that time. You know why you never see a Detroit Lions, or Cincinnati Bengals jersey in the D.C. area? because they have never had significant long term success that's why. Fans of the Cowboys, Yankees, and Lakers that have never been to those cities didn't become fans during poor seasons. They became fans when the chips were up, and it was en vogue to be a fan of that team. Sure now they stick with the team through tough times, but they didn't become fans during the tough times. I remember laughing my ass off back in 1989 when all these people were suddenly seen around the D.C. area wearing UNLV hats and shirts. Kinda funny, I think they won a national championship that season. Where are all the UNLV fans now? lol

Edit: With that said, while I don't like it, and think it's the absolute definition of "band wagon" fan. I don't really care. I recognize that many Redskins fans probably became fans this same way during the 80's and early 90's. However, let's be real and tell the truth about Joe Fan who roots for the Cowboys, but can't find Dallas on a map, and has never been off the east coast.

No, in all honesty...that's how you should be. Who cares what people care about who you root for. I'm on your side there.

I just think it's a little odd when your BBall team is a BBall school and your FBall team is a FBall school.

I'll give you that. But I can assure you I had no idea that they were that way when I started cheering for them. I saw them on TV. I think Painkiller has a good point... But not necessarily because they were good teams... I think it was more that because they were good I actually got to see them on TV.

I get the "You should be a ravens Fan" thing all the time but when I was a kid there was no Ravens....I watched two Skins SB victories before I was 7 they have always beena nd will always be my team.

Baseball is a little odd I grew up loving the Braves because we had some close family frineds who were huge Braves fans from Atl. I watched tons of Braves games and still love Chipper J ones to this day man. But when TBS let them go it became harder to watch them and to keep up. I started watching the Os and Nats alot and pull for both of them as local teams. I still like the Braves and I keep up with them alot and watch when they are on tv but I would have to say Im an O's fan since I go the OPACY 5-10 times a year and at least part of just about every game.

College Basketball I love the Terps and have since I was like 8 years old

But College Football I really have no alegience....I LOVE college football but I dont have like a "team" I follow OSU because i l ived about 10 minutes from Campus for 4 years and never missed agame while in Columbus....I Follow the Terps and go to Terp games so I guess they are my "Team"?????

I dont know if these make me wrong but I dont really care....

Not sure why so many people think that its hard to keep up with the Braves now. Most of their games are televised, and they can be found on 3 different channels on DTV. They should have kept all their games on TBS though.

I was like 7 or 8 when I started to pay attention to college sports. I enjoyed watching UNC basketball, mostly because both my parents went to UMD so I had to be difficult as a kid. So I started following them and have been ever since.

With FSU, when I was a kid I thought there uniforms and logo kinda looked like the Redskins so I thought there were somehow related to the Skins. Been rooting for them ever since, even though they haven't done much over the last few years.

When you're a little kid, conferences mean nothing. These are always the two college teams I've followed and I'm not going to stop now just because someone thinks its dumb.

Once you got of age to understand that they both played in the same conference, you should have did what most fans do...pick "A" team.

But we've already had this discussion before, so no use rehashing it.:)

Archived