Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MattFancy Hates: People telling fans who they should root for

MattFancy

I've been thinking about starting this thread for awhile now. But I can't stand people who tell others who they should and shouldn't be rooting for. Yeah, I've probably been guilty of it a few times, but its getting old and annoying. I don't care what teams you root for, as long as you are knowledgeable about the team and have always been rooting for that team.

Prime example of a person that I would complain about. I know someone who is a Yankees fan. However prior to his Yankee fandom, he was a die hard Oriole fan. Even has a Cal Ripken license plate, but also has a Yankee tow hitch right under the Ripken license plate. He became a Yankee fan after Ripken retired. So he deserves to get made fun of. That would be like one of us choosing to become a Cowboy fan after Darrell Green retired, just doesn't work.

An example of someone I wouldn't make fun of: I have a friend that for as long as I've known him his teams he roots for are the Dolphins, Blue Jays, and Grizzlies. Why those teams? No idea, I'm sure the Dolphins has something to do with Dan Marino. He has lived in MD all his life, but he is a die hard fan of those teams. He has Sunday Ticket, MLB Extra Innings, and the NBA package so he can follow his teams. So I have no problem with that since he has always been a fan of those teams and he follows them even when they suck.

So let's stop telling fans who they should or should not be rooting for. We have Skins fans on here from all over the world and we don't tell them who to root for. So why should we do that over MLB, NBA, NHL, or college?

BTW, the teams I follow are the Skins, O's, Caps, UNC, FSU, and the Lakers/Wizards.

You shouldn't be a Lakers fan.

Kidding, I agree with you.

Lol, I'm not really a fan of the Lakers, more of Kobe. I watch the NBA but I don't really have a team I follow. I guess its the Wizards by default, but Kobe is my favorite player so I follow him. If he played for the Nets, I'd root for the Nets.

I don't really have a problem with people who root for non local teams. I just find it hard to take them seriously when they tell me they are die hard Lakers/Cowboys/Yankees fans when they have absolutely no relation or ties to those cities. Obvious bandwagon fans, not that I really care. I just don't value their opinions as much.

Lol, I'm not really a fan of the Lakers, more of Kobe. I watch the NBA but I don't really have a team I follow. I guess its the Wizards by default, but Kobe is my favorite player so I follow him. If he played for the Nets, I'd root for the Nets.

Just curious but how is that different from your Cal Ripken O's friend you are allowed to rip on?

Maybe he was just a Cal fan .... the player moved on so did he.

I get this all the time.

Favorite Teams: Washington Redskins, Boston Celtics, Washington Nationals, Miami Hurricanes (football), Syracuse Orange (Basketball and football) and I guess Buffalo Sabres, although when it comes to hockey I just kind of watch it.

I get crap all the time, but I know about all of my teams. *shrug*

I have a buddy from NC.

His teams are the Dolphins, Jazz, Hurricanes, Terps, and Rangers.

Diehard fan, and always has been. Odd mix of teams, but those are his teams.

Can't hate him for it, at least he is loyal and true to his teams. We don't root against the local teams, we just don't root for them.

My only team outside of DC is the Lakers (Unless you include the Orioles). My parents were Lakers fans. The only team we disagree about are the Carolina Tarheels. My mom is a Terps fan and my dad is a tarheel fan. I am a Terps fan (and went to UMD).

Just curious but how is that different from your Cal Ripken O's friend you are allowed to rip on?

Maybe he was just a Cal fan .... the player moved on so did he.

Because I admit I follow the player and not the team. I don't pretend to be a die-hard Laker fan. I admit that I pretty much just follow Kobe.

I'd love to agree with you, then I invariably end up spending time with some douchebag cowboy fan who has never been to TX.

Lol I know a few of those. But if they have always been a Cowboy fan and are knowledeable of the team, then its whatever. I have a friend who says he a Cowboy fan, but we told him he had to name 10 players on the team before we would take him seriously. He could name Romo sits to pee, Witten, and Barber lol.

Because I admit I follow the player and not the team. I don't pretend to be a die-hard Laker fan. I admit that I pretty much just follow Kobe.

I think you highlighted on the key point and the only time this sort of fandom annoys people is one of the two:

1. The new fan gloats that their team is amazing, etc.

2. Our teams aren't doing well so we wish they were.

Personally I don't really care who you wish to root for but I'll laugh if you are a Cowboys fan from VA all your life or a Penguins fan that has no ties to Pittsburgh (and you probably wear a baby blue jersey).

I think in general though people should root for teams not players.

The only time I get a little irritated is when people don't root for their national teams when they are still in it.

If Ovie goes to MTRL or TO one day (which will probably happen given how hockey is) I am still a Caps fan, not an Ovie fan.

I loved Olie, but when he came back with that TB sweater on he was no longer my favorite player and I cheered every goal he let in.

I have a friend from MD who is a Blue Jays, Wizards, Dolphins, and Terrapins fan. I don't really mind him bc all his teams are pretty irrelevant. Also because he roots for the Redskins (as opposed to the Ravens) so long as it doesn't interfere w/ the Dolphins.

I do find it funny, though, how many Lakers and Celtics fans conveniently popped up during NBA finals. Or how many Yankees fans came out of the woodwork after the World Series last year. Or Steelers and Saints fans after they won the Super Bowl. Even funnier for most of them though is how they try to make their special little connection to the team - I grew up watching them with my grandpa, I went to New Orleans once and fell in love with it, I just love how the Steelers play football.

Meh, whatever though. If you're a fan of a winning team more power to you.

You should for that.

Miami was the first college team I ever watched, in any sport. Therefore, they became my favorite. Then I realized SU was right around the corner. My Uncle is a SU alum. I've had conversations with SU's football staff...

But then again, I don't care about your opinion on who I should root for, so I'm not even sure why I'm explaining it to you. :ols:

The Panthers are right down the street from me does that mean I should root for them ? The Dolphins are only a few miles away from my condo does that mean I should root for them ? The Nats became a DC team in recent years, should I just toss aside the O's and root for the Nationals ? Or should I have 2 teams ?

:silly:

The Panthers are right down the street from me does that mean I should root for them ? The Dolphins are only a few miles away from my condo does that mean I should root for them ? The Nats became a DC team in recent years, should I just toss aside the O's and root for the Nationals ? Or should I have 2 teams ?

:silly:

Whatever floats your boat.

To be honest, I don't really cheer for SU football. I just really like their coaching staff and want to see them do well, I'll freely admit that until Doug Marrone and his staff came to Cuse I could care less about their football team. They've given me alot of access to their team, so I cheer them on now.

And by the way, it was at the genius age of like four that I realized SU was close. Pardon me for not realizing I couldn't have two teams. :ols:

Miami is my football team and Cuse in my bball team.

Get over it.

Archived