Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

4th of July Fireworks

Maximus71

I had the police show up at my house one year and all they did was tell me to stop shooting them off. They didn't take 'em or anything. I would suggest leaving some in the house just in case they do pay a visit.

Have fun.

Get some of those really really loud bottle rockets, it's amazing how loud they are. :)

I'm doing the same thing next weekend. Going up to Phantom Fireworks with a buddy of mine. Mortars are where it's at. Police are pretty lenient about illegal fireworks on the 4th. Don't be a dick if they come knocking at your door and you should be OK.

I was at a co-worker's house on the 4th a few years back. His house boarders the Fairfax County Parkway. We were lighting mortars off in rapid succession. The cops showed up and said, "You guys need to calm it down, there are cars stopping on the Fairfax County Parkway". That was all.

Just use some discretion and notice how close other houses in the neighborhood are to the one where you are shooting them off.

My dad shot off one a long time ago that landed on the neighbors garage still on fire. We ran over with some buckets to put it out haha.

^^^ You can buy that stuff in DC.

But as far as mortars go, I never went that far because even though they are cool it makes it easier to have that visit from the law enforcement.

I bought bottle rockets and firecrackers right on New Hampshire Ave a few years back for pennies it seemed.

i bought around this area last year, but i wasnt impressed at all.

when i was a kid in NY, we used to go to chinatown and buy fireworks from various mafia figures. they had it ALL, m-80's, cherry bombs, pineapples, blockbusters (1/4 sticks of dynamite).

i wanted to take a nice drive. it was fun, and i really liked what i got. i spent $250, i have enough fireworks for 2 nights of fun. big fun.

Mortars will definately bring the local police, but they are cool as hell :ols:

Also wouldn't be a bad idea to keep a hose handy. It's been very dry the last few weeks and it doesn't look like we're going to have any rain anytime soon. Don't wanna burn anything down while having some fun.

Sorry about the piggyback, but this thread inspired me to recount one of my favorite childhood tales.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=325620

Anyway, as to the OP, be careful...I've been wanting to make a trip to SC myself to pick up some stuff, but have to convince the wife that it isn't a stupid idea. I remember visiting my cousins in PA when I was a kid, they always had their hands on quarter sticks and other crap like that. I don't even know where they got it from, even fountains were illegal in PA at one point.

The joys of living in TN. Right now there are about 10 different circus tents that have gone up within a 5 mile radius of my house- people selling any type of firework you can think of.

When I first moved here it was incredible. Finally, a place I could purchase them and set them off. Nowadays I just have no interest. It just got boring after a while.

And the mess to clean up the next day after lighting $200 worth of mortars and assorted fireworks is just not worth it

It really is amazing more people don't get seriously hurt every year. I can certainly see why they are illegal most places.

If you're not spending more than a grand, you ain't doin' it right. ;)

We always get a bunch of the big stuff (we got twelve boxes this past week, that we filled a van with). We do it out in the country so there are no issues. As far as cleanup, it's a breeze. We put all the detritus into a big pile and have a bonfire the next day. That's always fun because there are usally one or two unexploded items. :)

I usually light them in my townhouse parking lot. The cops that have been walking the beat near us for years know that the entire development has illegal fireworks, and basically carries the "don't be an idiot and we'll look the other way" mentality.

You can always tell a rookie though; they come screamin in on their crown vics once a mortar comes off. It's always fun to light another one off once they get out of sight and see how long it takes them to come back.

An interesting thread would be "what would the perfect redneck 4th of july be"

I know this, because I experienced it once. The correct answer is as follows:

Go to lake. In this case, Tellico lake, about 45 minutes from Knoxville. Hook up with neighbors' dad and stepmom who have a trailer parked at one of the lake's campgrounds. Purchase Ice, Bud Light (the good stuff, it's the 4th after all), and hot dogs on the way. (other people are bringing buns, etc.)

Get to campground. Discover that the campground has a live music act planned. It's a Lynyrd Skynyrd cover band. Woohoo. Sit in lawn chair and let assorted rednecks in flag bandanas regale you with stories of fishing and trucks as you cook your hotdog with a stick over an open fire. (nobody else brought anything but bud light).

Wait for fireworks display. Inquire as to who is paying for these fireworks, is it the campground? Get 10 blank looks in return. "ummm... everyone buys their own"

As dusk settles, witness 4 straight hours (there is more but you leave) of 5000 rednecks lighting each other's hair on fire with mortars, bottle rockets, and m-80s.

Quietly leave. Wonder WTF you do in life to end up in these situations. Understand fully why Europe hates us.

An interesting thread would be "what would the perfect redneck 4th of july be"

I know this, because I experienced it once. The correct answer is as follows:

Go to lake. In this case, Tellico lake, about 45 minutes from Knoxville. Hook up with neighbors' dad and stepmom who have a trailer parked at one of the lake's campgrounds. Purchase Ice, Bud Light (the good stuff, it's the 4th after all), and hot dogs on the way. (other people are bringing buns, etc.)

Get to campground. Discover that the campground has a live music act planned. It's a Lynyrd Skynyrd cover band. Woohoo. Sit in lawn chair and let assorted rednecks in flag bandanas regale you with stories of fishing and trucks as you cook your hotdog with a stick over an open fire. (nobody else brought anything but bud light).

Wait for fireworks display. Inquire as to who is paying for these fireworks, is it the campground? Get 10 blank looks in return. "ummm... everyone buys their own"

As dusk settles, witness 4 straight hours (there is more but you leave) of 5000 rednecks lighting each other's hair on fire with mortars, bottle rockets, and m-80s.

Quietly leave. Wonder WTF you do in life to end up in these situations. Understand fully why Europe hates us.

I spent my summers growing up at a campground on the beach in Myrtle Beach. Granted, my uncle had a "summer house" there. Granted, the "summer house" was a permanent double wide trailer. But it had cable and electricity and running water and whole house air conditioning. So for a 13 year old, it was a pretty swank way of spending a few weeks.

But it was also a legit camp ground and rented spaces by the week to the best and brightest from the Carolinas and Appalachians. Basically, families would come for a week and park their RVs at the campground. Or - more often than not - park their pickups and set up tents. Camping at the beach. In SC. When it's 100 degrees.

Anyway, their daughters were often slutty and I qualified as a goddamn arristocrat in these settings.

But...yea...I saw a lot of what you were saying. My father still claims that his biggest failure as a parent was the time he let me climb in the back of a pickup truck with three other kids as someone's drunk father drove us to Myrtle Waves water park. He said that it didn't quite register with him what was happening until we were gone for about 10 minutes. Keep in mind that this was around '87 so it's not like anyone had cell phones.

Anyway, I was often there for the fourth. And the necks would take their illegal fireworks down to the beach and launch them into the ocean while drinking warm Schlitz. I once utterly failed to make out with an Asian chick during one of these celebrations (which I'm pretty sure occurred during the same Myrtle Waves summer). I think a lot of my emotional problems stem from that summer.

The highlight of fourth of july week at the campground was when someone inevitably set their tent on fire with a firework.

:ols: great story lkb. I was recently in Myrtle Beach during "Bike Week". Good times.

Somehow, the image of outlaw badass biker is lost when said biker is 400 lbs wearing a an air-brushed "Rusty luvs Rachel" T-shirt that is flapping in the breeze, fully exposing a beer gut hanging down over the side of the bike.

I was told, of course, by the locals that "black bike week" is worse, in terms of riff-raff.

"what is black bike week?"

"well, it's bike week, but they're all black"

'what, the bikes?"

"no, the people"

:doh:

p.s. I'm not making this up. There is such a thing as "black bike week" in myrtle beach. Apparently, it is a really big deal.

:ols: great story lkb. I was recently in Myrtle Beach during "Bike Week". Good times.

Somehow, the image of outlaw badass biker is lost when said biker is 400 lbs wearing a an air-brushed "Rusty luvs Rachel" T-shirt that is flapping in the breeze, fully exposing a beer gut hanging down over the side of the bike.

I was told, of course, by the locals that "black bike week" is worse, in terms of riff-raff.

"what is black bike week?"

"well, it's bike week, but they're all black"

'what, the bikes?"

"no, the people"

:doh:

I was just visiting my inlaws at some terrifying over 55 community in Florida (actually very nice just filled with old people acting 22) and the neighboring town was hosting some Bike Fest. Lots of women who should not be wearing leather bikini tops wearing leather bikini tops. I wanted to stop and spend some time with the bikers. My very proper Mother in Law shot down the idea in a hurry.

I think I've accidently stumbled into a black biker week before. I recall stumbling out of it rather quickly. Of course, I have a knack for ending up as the only white guy at all black events. It's a talent.

Unless Mrytle Beach has just considerably in the past 15 years or so, I have to imagine that the local constabulary takes a very keen interest in the movement of the black bikers. You don't want them disturbing the image of The Redneck Riviera after all. How will the grandmas leaving the Alabama Theater feel?

At least there's one!

:pfft:

Trust me, this is an awful place to live. YOU DO NOT WANT TO MOVE HERE. Spread the word. Know someone retiring up north? DO NOT MOVE TO TN!!!!

WHATEVER YOU DO!!! PLEASE, STAY UP NORTH!!!

We're inbred, we play banjos, and if you look like Ned Beaty we will enjoy sex with you.

Stay away, please. It's best for you

Archived