Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Insider: Jammal Brown trade is "very positive for the Redskins," says Artis Hicks

flexxskins

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/offensive-line/jammal-brown-trade-is-very-pos.html

The addition of Jammal Brown will no doubt force some shuffling on the Redskins' offensive line. But Artis Hicks, who will likely lose the right tackle spot to Brown, isn't complaining.

"It's always a great thing when you can get one of the best left tackles in the game over the last few years on your roster," Hicks said in a phone interview. "And before he was a left tackle he was a right tackle, so you know it was only going to be a matter of time before some change was made, whatever it is.

"But the bottom line is it's all about getting the best 53 guys. It's not about one guy. So when you've been in the league as long as I have, and something like this transpires, you can see the positives as well as the negatives. Overall, this is very positive for the Redskins, so I think it's a great move for us."

When Hicks was signed as a free agent in March, coaches lauded him for his versatility. And though he might not begin the season as the starting right tackle, he should have a good shot at the right guard job. He says he's excited about his upcoming competition with Mike Williams, who lined up at right guard during the team's offseason workouts.

"Well, nothing is etched in stone, but it looks like that's where I'm headed," Hicks said. "I know Mike Williams is going to want to stay there, too, so it's going to be about competition. That's just a good thing for everyone, and I'm looking forward to it. I'm sure he is, too."

I'm keeping my fingers crossed with this Oline. If this line becomes semi-solid by week 3, I'll consider Allen and Shanahan to be magicians.

Not only is this thing coming together for the starters, we still have Big Mike Williams, Heyer (very good backup), and Hicks in the wings. I am impressed overall.

Mike Williams was never at LT. If you're talking about Trent Williams, I don't think the coaching staff had doubts, but rather saw this as a good opportunity to solidify the o-line as a whole. Brown has shown versatility at both LT and RT so this trade is definitely positive IMO

I don't view the Jammal Brown trade as "very positive" for the Redskins. If the coaching staff is already thinking Mike Williams can't cut it at LT that isn't a good thing.

I'm guessing you haven't seen the numerous posts in the other threads indicating Brown will be on the right side, with Trent Williams still on the left. This isn't an indictment of Williams' play. This team needed two new starting quality tackles, that has now been accomplished, regardless of which side they each play on.

I don't view the Jammal Brown trade as "very positive" for the Redskins. If the coaching staff is already thinking Mike Williams can't cut it at LT that isn't a good thing.

You have to remember this is all about building depth. It doesnt matter who starts, just long as we have someone else ready to step in. And guys that can play both sides are worth thier weight in gold. Beside he's started almost every game from the start when healthy.Trent Williams is our starting LT.

they are keeping Trent Williams at LT. Mike Williams was RG. This allows Artis Hicks to play RG (instead of RT) and have Jammal Brown play RT, which he has done before.

It upgrades our entire right side of the line and also improves our depth all around.

First of all its Trent Williams, and hes a rookie. Second of all Brown will play RT and slide Hicks over to his natural RG position. But your right its wasnt "very positive" it was "very ****ing positive" :)

Isn't it much easier to read about the subject you're commenting on, so you're knowledgeable on the subject, before making a comment like this?

This sums up my response:

Isn't it much easier to read about the subject you're commenting on, so you're knowledgeable on the subject, before making a comment like this?

Talk about a knee-jerk reaction. At least get the guy's name right.

Did you bother reading any information at all (including this article) on the trade before you formed your opinion?

Oh, and Mike Williams is competing for the starting RG position.:doh:

Edit: I see that the guys above had already asked my question. Lol.

Can Hicks play center?
I was kind of thinking a long the same lines as you. But I was actually thinking about not having Mike Williams' monsterous body wasting away on the bench and having him as our C. Lets see Ratliff toss him around twice a year like he does Rabach.

I know that big Mike has never played center before, but I'm just dreaming of what our o-line would look like and the lanes that they could possibly open up in our running game. Sheesh.

this is the attitude we're looking for and need, with everyone.

Yes exactly.. A TEAM player willing to do whatever it takes to help the team. I like him already. And if it is meant for him to play LT it will show in training camp, pre-season, and during the season. We can easily switch Silverback and JB.

Archived