Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Petition - Keep the NFL's Reg Season at 16 Games

Forever21

Hey ESer's,

I am a diehard NFL fan who does not believe that the NFL season should be expanded. I have put together a petition to try and let the NFL's owners know that fans want the season left alone.

If you have no problem with expanding the season, or you agree with it, then obviously this isn't for you and that's cool.

If you are like me and want to try and keep the season at 16 games please sign my petition then forward it to all NFL fans you know by email or otherwise.

Here's the link - http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/nfl16games/

I'll be sending my petition to all the major media people I can to see if we can get any media attention at all and maybe just maybe make something happen.

Hey ESer's,

I am a diehard NFL fan who does not believe that the NFL season should be expanded. I have put together a petition to try and let the NFL's owners know that fans want the season left alone.

If you have no problem with expanding the season, or you agree with it, then obviously this isn't for you and that's cool.

If you are like me and want to try and keep the season at 16 games please sign my petition then forward it to all NFL fans you know by email or otherwise.

Here's the link - http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/nfl16games/

I'll be sending my petition to all the major media people I can to see if we can get any media attention at all and maybe just maybe make something happen.

Nowhere in your petition do you cite any owner, player, etc in regards to their reluctance to expand the regular season. Do you know why players and owners want to expand the regular season? Most likely because more games = more television revenue, ticket sales, and concessions and the players will obviously get a cut of that. Furthermore, taking every single team in the league abroad results in a full regular season for a major city such as London where the game has been massively popular.

Your argument is weak and you should revise it to include quotes, numerical statistics (how the average fan is hurt by an expansion of the regular season), etc.

Your only real claim is that with a longer season there are more meaningless games for those that clinch earlier... however it'll also be more difficult to clinch earlier and the chase for the playoffs will be longer and have more variables which imo, makes for a more interesting regular season.

Nowhere in your petition do you cite any owner, player, etc in regards to their reluctance to expand the regular season. Do you know why players and owners want to expand the regular season? Most likely because more games = more television revenue, ticket sales, and concessions and the players will obviously get a cut of that. Furthermore, taking every single team in the league abroad results in a full regular season for a major city such as London where the game has been massively popular.

Your argument is weak and you should revise it to include quotes, numerical statistics (how the average fan is hurt by an expansion of the regular season), etc.

Your only real claim is that with a longer season there are more meaningless games for those that clinch earlier... however it'll also be more difficult to clinch earlier and the chase for the playoffs will be longer and have more variables which imo, makes for a more interesting regular season.

Larry Fitzgerald doesn't want a longer season

We're grateful that the NFL has opted to make a big push for the so-called "enhanced season" on the cusp of the dead period on the calendar, since we'll likely have a stream of posts over the next few weeks with the insights of players who are opposed to (so far, several) and in favor of (so far, only Lance Briggs) an 18-game regular season.

Most recently, Cardinals receiver Larry Fitzgerald has spoken out against growing the games that count by more than 10 percent.

"I think the NFL season is long enough as it is," Fitzgerald told Bickley and MJ on Xtra Sports 910 in Phoenix on Friday. "It is a real grind. . . . It's a brutal sport."

The rest

I keep hearing from Goodell that the players want an 18 game season, yet when asked, most players say they don't want it longer because the current season takes a toll on their bodies as it is. Tom Brady was one who is against it. Also, the players pay will be smaller (18 game checks to 16), which means they'll pay more taxes.

I keep hearing that most players are against this. In fact, MoJo Drew mentioned it in this morning's MMQB on SI.com

I think I'd consider an 18-game regular season if the owners and GMs agreed to suit up and play too. C'mon man, seriously? Ray Lewis said it best: "We are not machines!" If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/maurice_jones-drew/06/21/mmqb.mjd/1.html

I'm fine with it how it is now. Yeah 4 preseason games might be a little much, but that gives the coaching staff time to sort out their roster and see what they need to work on.

Archived