Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

External USB Hard Drive Question

ACW

Just buy a 360 or PS3 to play games, they're not that expensive

PC gaming has pretty much come to the point where you can't play anything but WoW and maybe CS:S on a laptop

You can forget about playing any new games on a laptop unless your laptop is high-end which I strongly doubt it is...judging from what Poker posted you can forget about playing DR2 on laptop

If it really is for gaming only a laptop will be ok but obviously a desktop would be better and allow you to play a wider variety of games and is upgradable.

An external will be fine but as others mentioned do not run the games or applications of the external. Externals should be for music, photos etc.

Personally I've had bad experiences with Western Digital. Their externals seem to last about a year tops (especially the myBook series). You can also make your own external for pretty cheap.

How much space does your current HD have and what are you looking to upgrade to?

PM me the link please :)

Sorry, but there has not been any Zelda fan-fic posted yet :ols:

Its mostly a forum inside-joke when the founder one day decided to post a bunch of fanfic in the chatroom "for teh lulz". Everyone was appalled and disgusted... yet was enjoying it so much. next thing you know, we have ourselves "Fan-Fic Friday".

I believe the first one involved The Matrix, and the line "That's the deadest Trinity I've ever seen" was involved.

edit: however, if you're interested in a forum dedicated to modding of old video game consoles, I could still link you.

I don't care if Zelda's been posted yet, I'm just curious in general.

well general curiosity, you should just search for fan-fic. all ours were posted in the forum chatroom (its tradition for us to gather-round and enjoy a terrible story in there and comment as its posted), so there's no records of it.

well, I'd say free up space on your laptop's main hard-drive with an external HDD and use that freed up space to install games. Move over music and videos and stuff that doesn't need such high-speed data transfer.

you may also wanna just go through your hard drive and get rid of a bunch of crap you don't need.

I may do that. Thanks :)

As it is now, I'm using roughly 47 GB, with no space-hogging games.

oh, then you've still got plenty of space before you'll need an external HDD. Then again, I don't know how much space modern games take up :/

I'm using up 90 Gigs on my laptop at this point, I think, but a lot of that probably has to do with the number of operating systems I've got running on here.

I have an external 500 GB HDD I use for backing up my hard-drive and ripping DVD images

The problem with internal drives, is I don't know enough about that kind of stuff to feel comfortable messing around with that.

I be more then happy to come down to your place and image your old hard drive to a newer bigger hard drive for a small fee. :)

As for the external HD only use it to keep backup of what is already on your PC. Seen too many customers who moved the data to the external HD and the external HD failed and now have to pay a lot of money to get the data off.

Always have a backup of a backup. ;)

Okay, so I checked my programs, and I only have 1 program bigger than 1G.

Modern games need several GB; some in double digits.

My question is, would games work if I put THEM on the external HD?

If so, spending $100 seems a LOT more cost efficient than buying a whole new PC.

Okay, so I checked my programs, and I only have 1 program bigger than 1G.

Modern games need several GB; some in double digits.

My question is, would games work if I put THEM on the external HD?

If so, spending $100 seems a LOT more cost efficient than buying a whole new PC.

there are laptop harddrives out there you can buy, but you'll have to reinstall your OS and everything.

there are laptop harddrives out there you can buy, but you'll have to reinstall your OS and everything.
What about all my files? OS won't be an issue, since I STILL haven't installed Windows 7 :ols:

Get a nice external western digital 500GB HHD. Swap HDD's. Now use you old drive as an external. Use the new as the internal.
You mean use my external one as my main one and internal as my secondary one? Hmm...

Alright, yes or no, would games WORK on an external HDD?

You mean use my external one as my main one and internal as my secondary one? Hmm...

Alright, yes or no, would games WORK on an external HDD?

Yes, and yes, they will work. But keep in mind files will be written to both drives, with the bulk of the game on the external. You may also have lag issues due to it comming over USB. I have never tried a game on an external. No reason it won't work, just may slow the game down at times until it catches up.

The only downsides to external drives is the "clutter" of an additional external peripheral, and that it occupies a port on your PC. Also, sometimes the enclosures are low quality, or the drive is lower quality (I think in order to compete with internal drives) -- and so they may not last as long.

If you have the room in your case, and you're just needing more storage, then I'd suggest getting an internal drive.

OTOH, if you recognize all of the above possible shortcomings, you need more storage (and/or you need to be able to be able to physically move the drive) -- an external drive is the way to go. I own several for storing movies and backups.

+1...I work in the electronics department of a store, and we consistently get back external drives back ALL DAY LONG...they are so fragile. Don't leave them plugged (increases the likely hood of a failure) in and make sure you are gentle with them. I say get cloud storage on Googles servers, more reliable and you can access it from anywhere...

Archived