Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT - Redskins may have a very hard time getting AH bonus money

Waldo da Magnificent

Saw this, but not here. Not good news.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/18/redskins-will-have-a-very-hard-time-getting-haynesworths-bonus-money/

Posted by Mike Florio on June 18, 2010 3:34 PM ET

We've finally gotten our hands on the full contract between the Redskins and defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth. And it appears based on the language of the contract and the relevant terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement that the Redskins have little or no chance of recovering any of Haynesworth's bonus money in the wake of his decision to skip this week's mandatory minicamp.

Based on the terms of the contract itself, the Redskins have the right to recover not only the $21 million in signing bonus money paid on April 1 but also $4,285,716 of the $5 million paid to him in 2009. But the contract ignores specific language in the 2006 CBA, which dramatically limits the forfeiture of cash money from signing bonuses to two specific circumstances.

Full article at link.

that if a player willfully takes action that has the effect of substantially undermining his ability to fully participate and contribute in either preseason training camp or the regular season (including by willfully withholding his services in either preseason training camp or during the regular season or willfully missing one or more games
I could be reading this entirely wrong, but it sounds to me like they do stand a chance of getting the money back. The Redskins could argue that by not attending mandatory minicamp, Haynesworth did not know the playbook/scheme, and therefore was unprepared to fully participate in preseason training camp. That's what I got out of it at least.

The team should do whatever they can to get as much money back as possible and then trade his ass. I cannot believe how selfish and unprofessional this guy is. I see this situation as him stealing money. What an *******. Not that it matters, but after this, his trade value is absolute ****. Part of me would rather see him fined and sit on the bench for the entire season.

It would be foolish to think that AH and his agent didn't go over every possible inch of this contract situation with a fine tooth comb before breaking the news that he wanted a trade after he took the money. The Skins likely won't be getting any of that money back unless they come to some sort of personal agreement with AH where he gives back some of it in order to be let go. Not unless he misses training camp, which I'm willing to bet $100 he won't (unless he is traded before then, of course).

I think the team should keep his rights - not trade him an fine him the max amount for missing the mini -camp and then when he doesnt come to Training Camp fine him the MAX amount there - and then if he comes in put him on the PUP list and keep him from ever playing again

I could care less at this point. I'd like to get the money back just to spite Hayneworth but I'd like Snyder to suffer as well. Either way, somebody I hate wins and somebody I hate loses.

Nah, not on Snyder; this was Vinny. Snyder's turned the corner at this point, and he was just doing what he thought was best.

To be honest, after this offseason, I think that Snyder should feel pretty good about himself.

Of course I'd like the Skins to retain the money to save some face and make Albert pissed for my own selfish reasons. Whether or not he actually has to pay the money back or not doesn't really matter in terms of the football team I think though.

Whatever...

Im just exited to see what we can get for him...Wish we culda got Atogwe and a 4th rounder for him..That would have been Cool....

Theres still some players and picks out there though...

Does this have a factor on us signing Mcnabb to a deal as well?? and what (or who) do you all think we can get in return for Fatty?

I just want pay back how ever that is..... Is AH still getting sued by that lady he hit last year?..... Also did he knock up a stripper or something too?..

Making this decision might have been one of Albert's worst....trust me...he'll suffer...he does have money, but NOBODY respects him right now and he will feel that for the rest of his career. This is what he will be remembered for...Especially if our team turns out to be successful and he ends up on a bottom feeder team. People will ridicule him for his decision and look at him as a ********. Wow...just think if we got a superbowl in 4 years and Albert is on a 7-9 team...lol

It still surprises me that after all that has happened- getting rid of Vinnie, hiring Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan, purging the roster, replacing the QB, and even drafting OL in the first round- people are still so willing to vilify TheDan. What more could he do? Honestly, he has made such a conspicuous effort to step back, eschewing the limelight, letting others speak for the franchise, the guy is doing everything the fans have been screaming for. Haynesworth s the last lingering hangover from the old regime and even there, TheDan is leaving it all in the hands of pros. At some point you have to ask yourself where the problem lies.

TheDan is leaving it all in the hands of pros. At some point you have to ask yourself where the problem lies.

It took him 10+ years to swallow his ego and realize he is an assclown only suited for cutting checks, too long in my book, I wont be turning off the Dan Snyder hate machine until I have 10 years of professional GM run football. 2020

if we can't recoup the money and no team in a trade will pick any of it up, then we keep him and make him play... if he doesn't show up, as I understand it, we can start fining him 16K per day starting in training camp...

Archived