Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should executions be public?

Bliz

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Inspired by the firing squad thread, but not wanting to threadjack a discussions focusing on methods. If we are going to have the death penalty, should it be public? Should it be mandatory viewing for convicted felons and certain juvenile offenders or other "at-risk" individuals?

When I say public, I'm not talking about selling tickets for beheadings in the town square (though it could only help our budget woes). But broadcast on public television, with front row seats for certain people.

The purpose of the death penalty is SUPPOSED to be a chilling factor on would-be murderers and the like, not simple eye for an eye social vengeance (though whether it actually does a good job of that is up for debate). If the point is to discourage people from committing certain crimes, do we advance that by keeping it all behind closed doors? Does the would-be murderer really weigh his options and consider the possibility of the death penalty, and would it carry more weight if they had seen a couple on tv?

Sure it's distasteful. Grotesque even. But it's real life. As it is right now, I don't think it really enters the public consciousness so much. Every once in a while you get a blurb on the news about someone who was just executed. That's about it. It doesn't hit home the way seeing it with your own eyes does, any more than reading an article is a substitute for seeing the grand canyon.

I used to think so, but have dramatically changed my views on executions in general over the past few years.

It will always be a tough subject due to the complexity and risk involved though. There isnt really a clean position that I can have in full.

so I guess my answer is no

Does the would-be murderer really weigh his options and consider the possibility of the death penalty, and would it carry more weight if they had seen a couple on tv?

I don't think so. They don't expect to get caught. If the prospect of life in 6x8 cell isn't a deterrent, the risk of execution wouldn't seem to be either.

I'm not sure about public executions but I am all for quicker executions. Chaps my *** to know that these poor excuses for human beings are sitting around playing a chess game with the legal system all the while chewing on my teet.

6,8,10 years to carry out a sentence is ridiculous. 6,8, maybe 10 hours is more what I'm looking for.

I'm not sure about public executions but I am all for quicker executions. Chaps my *** to know that these poor excuses for human beings are sitting around playing a chess game with the legal system all the while chewing on my teet.

6,8,10 years to carry out a sentence is ridiculous. 6,8, maybe 10 hours is more what I'm looking for.

Yeah, we can't have due process and equal protection under the law now can we. See I'm pro-life and if the state is going to kill anyone then I have no problem with it taking years to prove that they have the right person.

BTW, I can't help but notice that 6,8,10 are the same numbers for Trappistes Rochefort Belgian Ale brews. :cheers:

It's not like executions are a deterrent anyway, it is for revenge and nothing more.

Exactly. I don't like correctional institutions that are run by a philosophy of revenge through doing time, those become gladiator academies. I am very much in support of the rehabilitation institutions, yes even for the lifers.

Exactly. I don't like correctional institutions that are run by a philosophy of revenge through doing time, those become gladiator academies. I very much in support of the rehabilitation institutions, yes even for the lifers.

I say let our gladiator stuff be in a cage/ring. So that it IS about entertainment AND sport. Very controlled entertainment that has rules in place.

I'm not necessarily against the death penalty, or for it, really... But... Watching an execution is a bit over the top for me.

No it shouldn't. We're not barbarians.

~Bang

these two posts accidently back-to-back is "funny"

Archived