Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSM: Ronnie Lee Gardner execution: firing squads are humane say some experts

ACW

http://www.csmonitor.com/From-the-news-wires/2010/0616/Ronnie-Lee-Gardner-execution-firing-squads-are-humane-say-some-experts

A condemned Utah inmate's decision to die in a barrage of bullets fired by five unnamed marksmen has been vilified by many as an archaic form of Old West-style justice.

But some experts argue it is more humane than all other execution methods, without the court challenges of cruelty that have plagued lethal injection.

"Lethal injection, which has the veneer of medical acceptability, has far greater risks of cruelty to a condemned person," said Fordham University Law School professor Deborah Denno, who has written extensively on the constitutional questions that surround execution methods.

Ronnie Lee Gardner picked death by firing squad because he believes it is a more humane way to die — not because it evokes drama or controversy, his attorney told The Associated Press....

...A court challenge of lethal injection in Kentucky essentially halted executions nationwide in 2007 as the U.S. Supreme Court grappled with whether a three-drug ****tail was more painful than just a single barbiturate. At the time, Kentucky had only had one execution by lethal injection — with no complications — but executions in Ohio and Florida had taken longer than usual and produced strong evidence that inmates had suffered severe pain in the process...

The barrage of publicity that follows the firing squad is largely what prompted Utah lawmakers to alter it's capital punishment law in 2004 to disallow the choice for inmates and make lethal injection the default method. Inmates sentenced before then — like Gardner — retain the choice.

In repealing the option, Utah lawmakers said they disliked the negative media attention that firing squads focused on the state, said Republican Rep. Sheryl Allen, who twice carried legislation to change the law.

2 things:

-Regardless of SCOTUS, why DO they use the ****tail for lethal injection instead on just 1 massive dose of the barbiturate?

-I LOVE how executions: OKAY!; Negative media attention, NO! So keep executions, but disallow the (possibly MORE humane) firing squad.

I've never totally understood the concept of "humane" capitol punishment. I mean if the criminal did something vile enough that not only can we never entrust him back into society, but have to get them off of this plane of existance... why are we concerned about their comfort? Just get the job done. Whether that's hanging, firing squad, or death by gnawing rats (Hey, rats got to eat too, you know)

I've never totally understood the concept of "humane" capitol punishment. I mean if the criminal did something vile enough that not only can we never entrust him back into society, but have to get them off of this plane of existance... why are we concerned about their comfort? Just get the job done. Whether that's hanging, firing squad, or death by gnawing rats (Hey, rats got to eat too, you know)

I agree. Where's the logic behind 'we really, really, really don't want to hurt you and cause any pain, we just want to flat out kill your ass!'

I guess it's that pesky rule in the U.S. Constitution about cruel and unusual punishment.

I always thought a bullet or five through the brain would be tough to beat for an instant death. You wouldn't even have to use a firing squad. Just sit them down in a chair with a couple of holes in the headrest. The holes are, of course, the barrels of a hidden and automated firing mechanism. Somebody pushes a button and it's a done deal.

The only real problem I see is clean-up. It would make a hell of a mess. But you could put them in a small, tiled room with drains in the floor or something and just power-wash the hell out of it. I mean, aren't there companies that specialize in cleaning up after crime scenes? They've gotta know a few tricks.

Hanging then. You buy 10 feet of rope for 2$' date=' and it executes like 37 people.[/quote']

Only 37? Must be chinese rope..

Fine by me. I'm a definite supporter of the death penalty.

I don't think we should be bloodthirsty about it and cause undue suffering, but I don't think we should go overboard to insure the comfort of the condemned.

~Bang

Well, I think the guy chose firing squad over lethal injection, so it was his choice.

One thing I've wondered about, how does anyone know for sure that lethal injection is painless? Maybe the person is laying there unable to speak and move, but is feeling terrible pains while laying paralyzed.

Well, I think the guy chose firing squad over lethal injection, so it was his choice.

One thing I've wondered about, how does anyone know for sure that lethal injection is painless? Maybe the person is laying there unable to speak and move, but is feeling terrible pains while laying paralyzed.

That argument's been made (I think that was actually the argument used in the SCOTUS case). Why they don't just use the 1 barbiturate I don't know.

Because then they'd have a heartbeat.

I'm against the death penalty but I too don't quite get why lethal injection is having such problems.

I mean we can put people under so deep that doctors can perform brain surgeries and such and they don't feel a thing. Why can't they just be put under that deep or deeper and then be given the lethal drug that does them in?

When I had to put my dog "to sleep" several years ago due to her fading condition I was in the room with her when the vet did it. There were two injections. The first put her in a deep sleep and the second ended her life painlessly. She was just sleeping one moment and then her breath got slower and then stopped.

It just doesn't seem that complicated to me.

his last day was spent reading and napping and watching the lord of the rings. sounds like a pretty chill way to spend it. there are advantages to knowing you're 24 hours away from death. i hope my last day isn't spent filing my taxes or trying to look busy at work or something.

(then again i also hope my death isn't due to state-sanctioned murder, but whatever)

You'd probably be able to determine this via either EEG or catscan. You could look at the pain centers of the brain and see how they are firing.

I never get how people worry about how comfortable a murderer should be when they are executed while they did hideous and inhumane things to the victims.

People would have a cow if pedophile was executed by being stabbed and buried alive in the same way he did several children, or beaten, and burned to death on a fence as several killers did to gay teen.

Capital punishment should be a deterrent but sniveling by libs, etc prevents that. If a person is 100% guilty he'd have 3 months tops and then get the Electric chair, the firing squad,the noose, or drawn and quartered.

I never get how people worry about how comfortable a murderer should be when they are executed while they did hideous and inhumane things to the victims.

People would have a cow if pedophile was executed by being stabbed and buried alive in the same way he did several children, or beaten, and burned to death on a fence as several killers did to gay teen.

Capital punishment should be a deterrent but sniveling by libs, etc prevents that. If a person is 100% guilty he'd have 3 months tops and then get the Electric chair, the firing squad,the noose, or drawn and quartered.

Absolutely, because dead just ain't dead enough unless it's messy.

I wonder if you honestly believe a murderer decides that because they will execute him humanely, he can just go ahead and slice this woman up?

Dead is dead, and the only thing your desire fo vengeance satisfies is your desire to inflict pain. Because like i said, once he's dead, he's ****in' dead. And it doesn't matter HOW you got him there. Death does not deter some people, and those it does deter are not going to change their minds because of the method of execution.

~Bang

I support death penalty in some cases like kill viciously, serial killers, rape, serial rapers, kidnapping, same way when those SOB mutilate kidnapped victims, and presidents who stole the elections with fear and money from the cartels and the media. Sorry Calderon.

I can't remember wich country applies death penalty with one bullet at the head and the cost of that bullet is paid by the family's executed.

Archived