Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RI: Cerrato: Haynesworth would like playing for Shanahan

adam@section118

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/albert-haynesworth/cerrato-haynesworth-would-like.html#more

Former top Redskins official Vinny Cerrato, who played a major role in luring Albert Haynesworth to Washington, joined in the criticism of the disgruntled Pro Bowl defensive tackle Thursday, saying Haynesworth "should stop thinking only about himself."

Invited to Redskins Park to participate in the team's alumni barbecue event, Cerrato expressed disappointment that Haynesworth skipped the team's mandatory two-day minicamp that ended Thursday and has requested a trade after only one season with the team. In February 2009, Haynesworth received a then-record $41 million in guaranteed money based, in large part, on Cerrato's strong recommendation.

The Redskins signed Haynesworth in free agency because they believed in

him, Cerrato said, and it's time for him to do the right thing.

"When he signed, he said he wanted to prove everybody wrong," said Cerrato, the team's executive vice president of football operations during the 2008-09 seasons. "He said he wanted to show everybody that it's not about the money. He said he wanted to be the best that ever played. He said he wanted to be like Reggie White. He said Reggie

White was his hero, so live up to what you said. Don't have it change just because a coach changed."

Cerrato, who was forced to resign Dec. 17, and owner Daniel Snyder were convinced that Haynesworth would be a difference-maker on defense. Snyder spoke briefly on Thursday, too, but declined to elaborate on the Haynesworth situation.

"I think Coach [Mike] Shanahan said everything for our franchise. I'm just looking forward to this season," Snyder said.

Haynesworth appeared in just 12 games, but he participated in the second-largest number of plays among Redskins defensive linemen (defensive end Andre Carter led the group).

Haynesworth had four sacks -- his lowest total since the 2006 season -- but Carter and defensive end/outside linebacker Brian Orakpo each had 11 sacks, benefiting from Haynesworth's presence along the line, former Redskins coaches said. Carter had just four sacks in 2008. The team improved from 28th in the league, with only 24 sacks, in 2008 to eighth, with 40 sacks, last season.

But Haynesworth quickly clashed with former defensive coordinator Greg Blache over Blache's reluctance to give Haynesworth the freedom he wanted in Washington's 4-3 defense. Haynesworth contends Snyder promised him that. And Haynesworth skipped Coach Mike Shanahan's first off-season program in protest of the coaching staff's plans to use him as a nose tackle in Washington's new base 3-4 defense.

"I just think Albert should have been here in the offseason, so he would have understood what his role in the defense was going to be," Cerrato said. "I think his perception and what reality is are two different things. They weren't going to just play him at nose tackle from everything that I read. And if he can't understand that then

that's his fault. If he was here, he would know where he fits in. By not being here he doesn't know. All he knows is what he wants to know."

Regardless of what Haynesworth was told before he signed his contract, he did sign, Cerrato said.

"To me, he signed with the Washington Redskins and not the 4-3 defense when he signed that contract," Cerrato said. "He's got to be concerned about team, you know? There's no 'I' in team. He needs to quit thinking about himself and worry about the team and how he can help these guys, you know?"

Haynesworth did not enjoy playing under Blache and former head coach Jim Zorn in his first year with the team, Cerrato said, but he would have a blast this season with Shanahan leading the team, if only he would give Shanahan and the new regime a chance.

"If he just came in, he'd realize how much happier he'll be if he has Mike Shanahan to work for," Cerrato said. "He'd be a lot happier than he was in the past. But he has to be here to know that."

Oh my god, oh my god oh my god

Cant take this, Cant take this

Just another day, just another day

F Cerrato, Who cares what he thinks?

I can't F'in wait for the football season to start.

People say alot of things... You dont need to hear what people say they want to do. Just look at WHAT they do.

he's just echoing the sentiments of everyone else and given he was the one who brought Al in, I think Cerrato's voice on this can be included. And what he said was dead on. Big Al did say he wasn't just about money and wanted to be the next Reggie White. Seems that may have just been lip service.

Other than old agendas I'm not sure why you guys who posted before have beef with Cerrato over this. Look at what he is saying here, not what he's done in the past, especially since the topic is the Haynesworth situation.

Can someone say that Vinny is trying to cover his tracks.

See post above your for the answer ;)

As elkabong82 mentioned Vinnie is just repeating what he heard plus adding what AH said to him when he signed last year so actually I would like to hear what Stealsworth said during that time

Disturbing that Vinny is somehow relevant again.

He's doing his same tired old schtick, trying to elbow his way in front of the real Skins greats and pretending to be one. Schmuck, thy name is Vinny. He never has been relevant and never will.

FINALLY! My ‘WWVD’ bracelet helps bring light to the darkness.

Behold, ladies and gentlemen... The man, the myth, the legend... Vinny Cerrato.

What... a... turd.

He's as much to blame in this situation as Albert Haynesworth.

he's just echoing the sentiments of everyone else and given he was the one who brought Al in, I think Cerrato's voice on this can be included. And what he said was dead on. Big Al did say he wasn't just about money and wanted to be the next Reggie White. Seems that may have just been lip service.

Other than old agendas I'm not sure why you guys who posted before have beef with Cerrato over this. Look at what he is saying here, not what he's done in the past, especially since the topic is the Haynesworth situation.

agree 100% with this post. vinny is spot on in his comments on haynesworth. and as far as the agendas go, while vinny might not have been the most savvy gm when it came to building a team he was a decent personnel man. he just lacked the vision to get the team going in the right direction.

"To me, he signed with the Washington Redskins and not the 4-3 defense when he signed that contract"

Ok. I've gotta give Vinny props for that line. :ols:

And what's crazier is that earlier PFT tweeted out that same comment. Seems like Al was the Chosen One who has now brought balance to The Force as everyone is now united against him. :silly:

Archived