Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Om Field: Haynesworth - An Ill Wind Blows Away

Om

Haynesworth: An Ill Wind Blows Away

June 17, 2010

So I guess I have to write about Albert Haynesworth.

Yuck.

I am not going to regale you with the history or the facts, you can get those a million different places today. If you want a quick, concise overview though, here is the best single piece I have seen yet. It has all the salient news and most of the salient quotes. Be sure to watch the video as well, there are some player quotes in there that haven’t gotten much play in print that you’ll want to see.

What I would like to say, as much for my own sake as anything, is this:

As a fan of the Washington Redskins, Albert Haynesworth's decision to play The Spoiled Brat role to a degree rarely seen in professional sport was actually a welcome surprise.

Sure, like many I had an initial angry reaction, but it was more outrage at the simple gall of the man than it was related to the best interests of the Washington Redskins. The anger was quickly replaced, however, by a clear sense of ... relief.

See I had been reconciling myself all spring to the idea of having to root for this guy again on Sundays this fall. And I wasn't happy about it.

You know the inner dialogue:"hey he's a great player when he wants to be; maybe he'll be in shape and play like he actually meant what he said about wanting to be remembered as the best ever."

Yeah I know. Tastes like something stuck to the bottom of your shoe ...

CLICK HERE to read more

Mark, just like a lot of others I always look forward to your writing because it is so well-rendered, so clearly addresses the situations and issues with the team but I have to say, you have hit a new high with this one.

Like the rest, my first reaction was contempt and criticism, and so much of that is because of what the Skins have always been and what they mean to me. For the longest time we were the anti-divas, the anti-showboat-attentionwhore team composed of guys like Olky and Butz, Monte Coleman or Art Monk, players that earned your respect and affection as much for their character as their play.

This piece casts a whole new light on things, genuinely lifts my spirits this morning after the ****storm of Haynesworth articles. This too shall pass, maybe like a golfball-sized kidney stone, but it will, and with any luck we will be better for it.

All good points, Om. The other silver lining to this aspect is we get to see the "new look" Redskins organization respond and send their latest message on the new direction this team will hopefully be taking and sticking to for years to come. Come to PLAY first, not to get PAID. A message that the previous regime was never able to get through, and the management set a bad stage time and time again for the coaches to deal with.

Thanks for the read and comments all. Even the simple snarkers. :cool:

You'd like to think your team is the one that can take a supremely physically gifted knucklehead and turn him into a professional that helps take you up the mountain. The reality is, knuckleheads are pretty much knuckleheads. They only have epiphanies in the movies.

Albert Haynesworth has driven that point home big time.

You'd like to think your team is the one that can take a supremely physically gifted knucklehead and turn him into a professional that helps take you up the mountain. The reality is, knuckleheads are pretty much knuckleheads. They only have epiphanies in the movies.

I used this very argument against bringing Haynesworth here in the first place, and against other knuckleheaded players many times.

Your piece articulates pretty succinctly the indignation I think most of us are feeling over this situation.

Thanks for the read and comments all. Even the simple snarkers. :cool:

Albert Haynesworth has driven that point home big time.

Except that he seemed to turn that corner a couple of years ago when he turned himself into one of the best DTs in the game. He certainly seemed to say all the right things when he was introduced to the press. Also, given the scheme, he mostly had the impact expected, helping give us a better pass rush than we've had in recent years from the DL.

That being said, it was somewhat telling when Big Al tried to lead a revolt against Blache last year and no one followed him. I found it funny that many here cheered him on, with their hatred for Blache blinding them to the fact that Big Al was being self-serving. I thought he handled that situation badly and he's handling this one badly as well.

The good thing is that this probably won't hurt the Redskins much. I suspect that the Skins will get some of their money back at least and his non-presence isn't going to affect the players who are there to do their job.

All good points, Om. The other silver lining to this aspect is we get to see the "new look" Redskins organization respond and send their latest message on the new direction this team will hopefully be taking and sticking to for years to come. Come to PLAY first, not to get PAID. A message that the previous regime was never able to get through, and the management set a bad stage time and time again for the coaches to deal with.

My favorite part of your quote. We should tell Danny to put that in the locker room at Redskins Park. I think I'll add it to my sig.

Another great effort Mark, and I agree with all that you have written, it seem strange to me that Albert's efforts have brought the playing group closer together, I was excited before all of this with the upcoming season now I am beside myself, that his defensive team mates come out and bag him because he is not what could be described as a true professional is outstanding, shows that the playing roster (except for the obvious) has a character about it that for some reason was lost.

If the skins have spent the money and we can't get it back make him sit on the pine for the whole season (or let him have one down a game) just to keep him quiet.

The Redskins are coming back to greatness both on and off the field, the FO needs to be strong here, and show the world that the Redskins are no longer the big paycheck waiting for someone with an ego to come and collect.

This is just an excellent piece with a truly deep central tenet being espoused within, namely, that we can now go back to feeling good about rooting for this team without having to make excuses for one player or giving that player the benefit of the doubt. There is no doubt anymore, and that's always a wonderful thing.

The Redskins won the Super Bowl with a former #9 draft pick who started out as a center in the NFL in Darryl Grant at DT :)

This team does NOT need Haynesworth to win football games. His effect on a 53 man roster has been FAR overblown.

He was here last year, played in 12 games and the Redskins still finished 4-12.

Why?

Well, #92 was out of shape and that counted against his own productivity and durability (ie missing those 4 games).................

But in the end result the Haynesworth of 2007-2008 would not have salvaged this team.

The recognition of that and the realization that in an uncapped year this is the perfect time to purge the last of the Cerrato/Snyder mistakes makes me glad that the chances are very slim that Haynesworth is ever in a Redskins uniform again.

How slim?

Well, based on the comments of many current and former teammates on the Redskins, it appears Washington would have to get rid of half the roster to bring Haynesworth back and not split the locker room and cause the kind of discord that leads back to 4-12.

Cool - thanks Jay - that just blew my mind...especially when it said I'd 'already rated this thread' (when I just entered it). I understand. The ways of vbulletin are dark and mysterious!

And on that note, all I can say is, I'll be glad when the winds just blow big fat lazy Albert Haynesworth to some other overpaying NFL sucker-of-a-franchise....

Archived