Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Possible DT scenario

Manasseh

I haven't seen anyone post this scenario yet so I thought I would give it a shot. The more I think about it, this may work out best for us.

What if we traded Betts and a draft pick (not sure what round it would take) to New Orleans for Jackson? Let them think we're desperate. Give them a round higher than he's actually worth. We could use the big body, and it seems the New Orleans' coaches think they have the young bodies needed that could replace him. Make them a deal they can't refuse but do it now.

Now, Denver has already made it clear that Dalton won't be on the opening day roster. My question is, since Detroit and Green Bay have already made plays for a DT, who else is in the market? Why should we forfeit a draft pick if they are going to release him anyway? If we were to acquire Jackson rather quickly, then Denver might be quicker to go ahead and cut Dalton. Then, we could sign him to a lower contract than what he has now (go ahead and give him 1 million - it's still better than 1.6).

Under this scenario, we've only traded Betts and one draft pick - not two. At least one of the two DT we may be looking for will be in camp early - maybe both. Any negatives to this scenario or can you think of a better way to get both players?

Good question. For one, it's always about the money. I doubt he'll get much more than the minimum this late in the game. What if we offered him a multi-year deal that was higher than the minimum but still lower than his current contract numbers? Money talks.

Also, are Jacksonville and Baltimore that more desperate than us? Surely Dalton would think he has just as much opportunity to start here as in other places.

I wouldn't see him going back to Baltimore anyway - the same team that let him go. Wouldn't that be similar to Wilkinson or Gardner coming back to beg for money from us - don't see it happening.

As for Jacksonville, I think they're cap-strapped right now. We should be able to make a better deal with them without giving up too much.

the Redskins will get Dalton because he is available.

the Saints are still pondering what to do on defense and are preeening to see what the Redskins will offer up for Jackson. They are dangling Smith or Chase and that may be their game, but I think they would deal Jackson IF the Skins came across with a darn good offer :)

I don't think they will. So, Dalton and another vet who will be released over the next couple of weeks.

I really dont see why everyone is going crazy about DT's yes we could use a big guy in the middle but I really think that either Del Cowsette or Bernard Hosley as a starter would work out good.

But since there unproven DT's they should maybe just move Renaldo to DT in the preseason starting lineup to see how He faires there. Personally Its the best move it gets Bruce in as a starter and Bruce is a good pass rusher witch the other DE's are not. In the backup DE spot Ledarious Jackson is good so far as well as Peppie,Hosley,that one guy named Cercie or something is playing good at DE. I belive theres more decent DE's I cant think of them right now.

I like the idea of Grady Jackson coming in but I think we can make it for a year and get a restricted DT for a first round pick or just draft a good DT. Accourding to everything ive heard the Redskins are not persuing a trade for dalton or anyone right now so apparintly there going to look at that fa wire for player in the upcoming weeks.

Bernard Jackson is now out 3-4 weeks with an ankle sprain.

the depth just ain't there.

Zellner (262) and Holsey (286) are really DE's.

Cowsette has never played regularly in the NFL. Has he ever started even one game? :)

Cannida to me is little better. Haley has looked slow and overweight.

Who does that really leave us with?

We are going to need TWO defensive linemen unless Upshaw comes back healthy and we can move Wynn to DT.

I don't see Jackson coming here. The Aints signed Ki-Jana Carter today. That doesn't mean they won't be in the market for another RB, but I think it gives them a bit of leverage in trade talks.

I think we would be better served trading a mid-round pick for Dalton and another draft pick and/or Watson for Jackson's backup (Smith, I think).

I would NOT deal Betts. I think of the three RBs we have, he's the best.

Bulldog,

You hit the nail right on the head. When we brought Cannadia and Haley and Hosley in we were expecting to use them as depth not starters. Now that the two projected starters for the season are gone (fat daddy and Noble) do you really want to throw these guys in?

We need to make the moves to get Dalton and one of NO's DT's.

I agree that we need two DT's. Here's my question though.

Would you rather trade say Betts and a mid-round pick for Jackson and hope Dalton or some other servicable DT becomes available via free agency?

OR

Would you rather trade a mid-round pick for Dalton and then Watson and/or another mid-round pick for say someone like Kenny Smith?

IMO, the D-line would be best served by trying to add the highest quality DT available via a trade NOW (Jackson seems to be the best that might be available) and then waiting to pick up a quality guy that may be cut later.

Personally Its the best move it gets Bruce in as a starter and Bruce is a good pass rusher witch the other DE's are not. In the backup DE spot Ledarious Jackson is good so far as well as Peppie,Hosley,that one guy named Cercie or something is playing good at DE. I belive theres more decent DE's I cant think of them right now.

I don't know Bob-O... you're throwing alot at the fan there hoping something will stick. Bruce at 40 is no longer a full-time starter. Upshaw may not play consistently until Oct. at the rate he's going. I'd prefer Wynn/Zellner and Smith/L. Jackson right now at the ends. Mike Cecere isn't a bet to make the roster.

If the Redskins are patient and play their cards right, I'm thinking Dalton is released and comes here anyway. Denver will want to release him so that he catches on with another team as an act of good faith.

Grady to me seems like a bomb about to explode. He could very well hit maximum density starting later in the year... and there is no guarantee he comes to camp next year in shape. I'd almost prefer getting K. Smith or Martin Chase..... a couple of hungry kids who want to earn a starting job.

Add a reserve of Cowsette.. Holsey....B. Jackson and Haley as the other starter and maybe that's not a bad line to play this year.

you know ultimately I don't care who plays just so long as they get the job done. THAT we have not seen yet, hence, the rampant speculation about possible "fixes".

I never used to have these kinds of doubts entering the season.

I blame 12 years of mediocre play and dissapointments for it all.

God, I remember the 7-0 start only to finish out of the playoffs...

my heart aches.

So many times its been a case of great talent an very poor coaching.

I am not sure what side of that I am on this time.

Archived