Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Labor Negotiations

Any word on the negotiations going on between the owners and players. All of the minor things aside (Haynesworth, mini-camps, etc.), I would be devastated if the players are locked out and there is no football in 2011. I read last night that they were started negotiations again today but haven't seen any news on anything.

Any additions to this thread are welcome!

Do you have NFL network? Tonight at 7 they're doing an entire section on Skins minicamp (which should be oh-so-interesting, since it only lasted 15 minutes :ols:) and Haynesworth.

Then, they have new updates about the CBA negotiations.

So basically, I have nothing to contribute to the thread, but hopefully we'll have something after that segment tonight :)

Do you have NFL network? Tonight at 7 they're doing an entire section on Skins minicamp (which should be oh-so-interesting, since it only lasted 15 minutes :ols:) and Haynesworth.

Then, they have new updates about the CBA negotiations.

So basically, I have nothing to contribute to the thread, but hopefully we'll have something after that segment tonight :)

I do...good to know. Thanks!

I like the developmental league idea, get some of the more raw players trained a bit more

However the current scheduling system is fine and needs no revision IMO. 4 preseason games and 16 reg season games is fine by me. I don't see the point of adding 2 more games. Why? To get rid of preseason?

And what's the hate with preseason...4 exhibition games to assess talent and cut players. I never had a problem with preseason

I like the developmental league idea, get some of the more raw players trained a bit more

However the current scheduling system is fine and needs no revision IMO. 4 preseason games and 16 reg season games is fine by me. I don't see the point of adding 2 more games. Why? To get rid of preseason?

And what's the hate with preseason...4 exhibition games to assess talent and cut players. I never had a problem with preseason

The problem with preseason is that owners charge full price for every preseason game, and yet most starters play a quarter or two (if that), and the fans are not getting their money's worth from preseason. Also, preseason games don't sell out because stars and starters barely play.

If owners were to reduce the price of preseason tickets then maybe fans would be much more willing to spend a whole lot less money to see a game that isn't going to be a high quality NFL game.

By adding an additional 2 games, owners are going to make millions and millions more from those 2 regular season games, which will be sell outs for most teams, that aren't in Florida.

I also like the idea of a developmental league. I think you could have each division field a team or something with the players obviously belonging to clubs (like a minor league without each team owning a lower-level team).

I think reducing the preseason is fine (whether or not they add regular season games). I think teams should be encouraged to set up 2 controlled scrimmages with regional teams to take the place of the first 2 preseason games. That gives coaches the opportunity to evaluate rosters and do the first round of cuts. Then, when you're trying to get a tune up for your actual starters/reserves, you have the 2 preseason games later in August.

I like the idea of less preseason games. As a Giants season ticket holder it sucks to pay full price for games that pretty much worthless. You can't even re-sell the tickets for face value, you are lucky if you can get 50% of the value.

One thing I don't like about the 18 game season is that it will pretty much rewrite the record books for single season records. I realize the same complaint came up in the late 70s when they switched to 16 games, but now its been 32 years of a 16 game season. That's alot of seasons that would be de-valued in the record books. I guess they could normalize the records and do it based on games in the season, but I'm not sure how that will be accepted by the fans.

Steve Wyche made an interesting point about the ongoing negotiations in his Albert Haynesworth piece for NFL.com:

NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith and his top negotiators sat down with some of the NFL's top officials Wednesday -- the first day of Washington's minicamp that Haynesworth skipped -- to try to make some headway on the labor issues that currently threaten the 2011 season.

Smith's leverage in trying to strengthen or even minimize some of the possible losses in the guaranteed money portion of player contracts will be stifled with the sheer mention of Haynesworth's actions. Nobody told Redskins owner Daniel Snyder to guarantee Haynesworth $41 million and pay him $32 million in just more than a year, but Snyder expected to have Haynesworth honor the contract. That Haynesworth seems intent on getting out of Washington with millions in his pocket by boycotting team activities all but assures that owners are going to insist on every out clause and bonus-money recouping measure possible in the new CBA

Ironically, the NFLPA might have to argue on Haynesworth's behalf should the Redskins try to recoup some of his bonus money, which is a definite possibility.

Guaranteed money was already expected to be something of a sticking point, and this particular incident is going to make it an even harder sell for the players' union.

Article

I also like the idea of a developmental league. I think you could have each division field a team or something with the players obviously belonging to clubs (like a minor league without each team owning a lower-level team).

I think reducing the preseason is fine (whether or not they add regular season games). I think teams should be encouraged to set up 2 controlled scrimmages with regional teams to take the place of the first 2 preseason games. That gives coaches the opportunity to evaluate rosters and do the first round of cuts. Then, when you're trying to get a tune up for your actual starters/reserves, you have the 2 preseason games later in August.

That will not work. Who gets to decide if the developemental QB allocated by the skins or the one from the cowboys gets to start and receives most of the playing time? Whats the point in a developmental league if I send a QB to it and he doesn't get to play. The only way a developmental league will work is if each team that wants to, funds a team and allocates players to it. You could start with as few as six to eight teams and expand as more NFL teams decide to participate. I'm sorry but I don't want to watch and root for a team made up of Cowboys, skins, eagles, and giants. The only way I'd watch is if all or most of the players rights were held by the Cowboys and someone within the Cowboys organization was calling all the shots for the team. I think fans would get into it if games were played during the offseason and all the players belonged to an NFL team. The best players could then be invited to the NFL camp and would also be eligible for the practive squad if they didn't make the team. For it to be a true developmental league, the players would need to be tied to the NFL team that signs then for 3-5 years unless released. I know I would be interested in watching games under these circumstances.

That will not work. Who gets to decide if the developemental QB allocated by the skins or the one from the cowboys gets to start and receives most of the playing time? Whats the point in a developmental league if I send a QB to it and he doesn't get to play. The only way a developmental league will work is if each team that wants to, funds a team and allocates players to it. You could start with as few as six to eight teams and expand as more NFL teams decide to participate. I'm sorry but I don't want to watch and root for a team made up of Cowboys, skins, eagles, and giants. The only way I'd watch is if all or most of the players rights were held by the Cowboys and someone within the Cowboys organization was calling all the shots for the team. I think fans would get into it if games were played during the offseason and all the players belonged to an NFL team. The best players could then be invited to the NFL camp and would also be eligible for the practive squad if they didn't make the team. For it to be a true developmental league, the players would need to be tied to the NFL team that signs then for 3-5 years unless released. I know I would be interested in watching games under these circumstances.

It worked for NFL Europe for a while. I just don't think it's realistic for each NFL team to have THAT many developmental players to field a "minor league" team.

It would need to be run mostly independent of the NFL teams involved in that it has a head coach who is there to put the best players on the field.

It worked for NFL Europe for a while. I just don't think it's realistic for each NFL team to have THAT many developmental players to field a "minor league" team.

It would need to be run mostly independent of the NFL teams involved in that it has a head coach who is there to put the best players on the field.

Obviously NFL Europe did not work. If this new league is going to operate in the States, it needs to be geared towards the diehard fans of individual teams because they are the only people that will get into it and support it. The teams could be independent but I still say they need to be seperate. Not every NFL team would have to have a team if they didn't want to. The teams should play in the same city as the NFL team, have the same colors, and have a similarly themed name. Maybe the NFL team only signs and allocates 10, 12, 15, or 20 players and the rest are signed by the team. My main point is that I would have no interest in watching a team who's starting QB is property of the skins, eagles, or giants even if a few players on the team were property of the Cowboys. If they do it, I want a team located in Dallas wearing blue and silver and who's main players belong to the Cowboys. I would watch that every week.

Each team starts camp with 80 players and cuts down to 53 with 8 on a practice squad. Thats 19 players per team good enough to come to camp but not make the team. Many of those players who are cut are rookie free agents and they never catch on with a team again. They would be perfect candidates to go to the developmental team instead of being cut. The league could have an age limit of 25 or 26 or a 3 or 4 year limit. I think they could come up with a system that many teams would go for and the diehard fans would embrace.

I hope there is no lockout. I don't think there will be one because too much money is at stake.

I like the 16 game format. I'm not bothered by 4 preseason games, but it looks inevitable that it will go to 18 games.

Instead of funding a developemental league (which is really expensive in football) how about increasing the pracice squad to 10 and making those players off limits. It does no good for a rookie to be drafted/signed by a club, learn all their plays, then get picked off by another club 5 games into the season. Let the team develop them for a season.

I hope there is no lockout. I don't think there will be one because too much money is at stake.

I like the 16 game format. I'm not bothered by 4 preseason games, but it looks inevitable that it will go to 18 games.

Instead of funding a developemental league (which is really expensive in football) how about increasing the pracice squad to 10 and making those players off limits. It does no good for a rookie to be drafted/signed by a club, learn all their plays, then get picked off by another club 5 games into the season. Let the team develop them for a season.

I agree with all of this...I really want them to agree on a deal and avoid a lockout.

I like the PS idea...though I realize that they make them available for the player's sake. I mean, would you rather be a PS player on one team or an active player on another?

They could just increase the roster sizes so that you keep 60 players. You still dress the same number, but there are just a few that don't dress (but they are still on the real roster).

coolbeans,

You make good points, I just don't think it's feasible for every team or the league to fund another full team. I doubt we'll ever see the day when NFL teams have an true farm system.

I agree. I was merely putting forth my idea for a league that I think could work. You have to put a product out there that people will watch on TV as well as be willing to buy tickets. I would spend time and money to watch the Dallas Desperados qb'd by Stephen McGee take on the Washington Warriors qb'd by Colt Brennan. I would not care a bit about the Oklahoma City Stampede made up of prospects from all the NFC East teams.

I agree. I was merely putting forth my idea for a league that I think could work. You have to put a product out there that people will watch on TV as well as be willing to buy tickets. I would spend time and money to watch the Dallas Desperados qb'd by Stephen McGee take on the Washington Warriors qb'd by Colt Brennan. I would not care a bit about the Oklahoma City Stampede made up of prospects from all the NFC East teams.

Understandable. The difference would be if you expect to generate revenue from this league or if it's just a subsidiary of the NFL and a place where more players can play while also being groomed. I don't know how that might work...but something tells me the NFL could fun a minor league system and put 8 teams (1 per division) in 8 cities that don't currently have football. Enough people would show up to watch and maybe the games could air on the NFL Network or something...but it wouldn't be a league that would be expected to be popular or anything...simply a developmental league.

Archived