Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RI: Redskins teammates unhappy with Haynesworth

Califan007

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/albert-haynesworth/redskins-teammates-unhappy-wit.html#more

I received many phone calls and text messages from current and former Redskins players shortly after word emerged that Pro Bowl defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth will not report to the mandatory two-day minicamp that begins today and wants to be traded.

Several of the players (they all declined to comment on the record) criticized Haynesworth, who does not want to play nose tackle or any position in a 3-4 defense, for his actions after receiving $32 million from the Redskins in the first 16 months of his contract. Not surprisingly, some of Haynesworth's teammates continued to express concern that the situation could become a season-long distraction.

One Redskins veteran starter reminded me that Haynesworth rarely seemed happy last season despite receiving $41 million guaranteed money -- then the highest total in NFL history. So if the Redskins decline to trade Haynesworth and hold firm on their plan to have him play at a position he doesn't want to play, it's doubtful his mood would improve, the player said.

So what do the Redskins do about their Haynesworth problem?

For starters, I expect Coach Mike Shanahan to accentuate the positive while addressing the media today after practice at Redskins Park. He'll probably talk about preferring to focus on all the hard-working players who are in attendance.

That was Shanahan's approach while Haynesworth's skipped all but one day of the team's voluntary 47-day offseason workout program. Reporters, for the most part, cooperated, asking only a few questions about Haynesworth during minicamps and organized team activities.

But that was before Haynesworth, through agent Chad Speck, made it known he wants out because he no longer trusts the Redskins.

As for General Manager Bruce Allen, he could attempt to take disciplinary action against Haynesworth for skipping a mandatory team event, which Washington is able to do under the terms of the league's collective bargaining agreement. But teams generally are only permitted to fine players about $10,000 for skipping a mandatory minicamp, according to two people familiar with the situation. Of course, the Redskins might attempt to take more money from Haynesworth, but the NFL players union would get involved if Allen tries to break new ground with the eight-year veteran.

Haynesworth arguably is the most talented player on the roster and Shanahan would prefer to try to make things work with him, league and team sources say. No team has offered the Redskins what they want in exchange for the two-time all-pro, so Haynesworth might be on the roster when training camp opens in late July.

If they still think that he will be a contributor this season, then they are suffering from some serious delusions. You can't let this guy anywhere near the team at this point.

Oh, the man is radioactive. He's kryptonite to Superman. Tell him to just stay away from camp, let George try to work on a trade, and let Shanahan coach the players who REALLY WANT to be there. And Danny can make himself useful by sending Albert an HDTV so he can watch all the games from his home.

We aren't going to get anything higher than a 7th for him. Best thing would be to send his fat ass home, not let him anywhere near the team, and immediately try and get the $31 mil back. We probably won't win, but at least we can give him one more issue to deal with, in addition to knocking up NYC strippers.

all of his skill aside, I'm not sure I would want him on our team even if they came to an agreement. It would only last until his panties get bunched again.

Agreed. As much as I like him because he's a great player, how long until we would go through this with him again? If he's unhappy making 32 million in 16 months, what will make him happy? I don't think it would be right to just go back to a 4-3 because one player doesn't like it. And its not like NT is a poop position. Just as Vince Wilfork or Jay Ratliff about it. He's just being a whiny baby because he's not getting his way. Well too bad, life isn't fair Fat Albert.

If AH comes back, I seriously hope they make him work from the bottom to being a starter. His lack of dedication and me-first attitude make me want him off the team. I hate that this has been a distraction since WE SIGNED HIM.

Fixed it for you. :)

I'm so over this - we've had so much positive offseason news, the last thing we need is this fat **** selfishly causing a distraction...**** you Albert...

But wait, I thought he'd show up in shape and all the media talk was just pointless jibber-jabber... ? I thought he really didn't have a problem with playing in this new Defense and was going to be in his best shape ever when he showed up... ?

Where there's smoke, folks...

AH = *******

Either trade him or park his ass on the 3rd string squad, subbing the K for the 2nd stringer above him if it comes to that. No way in hell should he be allowed to represent us on the field again.

Id say he should be the punt protector ala Adam Archuletta :ols:

I dabble in the Tarot. In March I pulled cards for every month. Here's what May through June suggested. ;)

May – June ~ VII of Swords

We face an adversary who wants to take something that is ours. It's a time to use great strategy to keep certain interferences from sneaking in and causing turmoil. This could refer to a problem inside the locker room during this time. Perhaps someone is a betrayer who may not be sold on the team changes and philosophies?

I dabble in the Tarot. In March I pulled cards for every month. Here's what May through June suggested. ;)

We face an adversary who wants to take something that is ours. It's a time to use great strategy to keep certain interferences from sneaking in and causing turmoil. This could refer to a problem inside the locker room during this time. Perhaps someone is a betrayer who may not be sold on the team changes and philosophies?

Was there anything in the reading about getting draft picks?

I don't know anything about Tarot - what does "pulling cards" mean?

What a waste of time Albert is, this team is clearly on the rise into becoming a contender in the league and he doesn't want to be a part of it.

If this is how he reacts to Shanny/Allen run team, what does this say about Fisher and the gang in Tennessee?

Well, seeing as how Jeff Fisher let him leave...they're smart.

I don't know anything about Tarot - what does "pulling cards" mean?

The Tarot has a number of Major cards and Minor cards, similar to playing cards. Each card is supposed to enlighten one on the past, present, and future. The VII of swords suggests the presence of one sneaking in to steal something and one must be on one's guard. I just thought it was interesting in lieu of the Albert Haynesworth fiasco. ;)

Archived