Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Allen makes promise about Skins

authentic

click for the rest

Washington Redskins General Manager Bruce Allen made a promise Tuesday: No, not a Super Bowl-sized promise. But the Redskins, he said, will be the "hardest-working team in the NFL."

"Our ownership has given us free reign to get the flame relit," Allen said. "You're going to be proud of our team this year."

Allen spoke to a group of business leaders at the Fairfax County Chamber of Commerce's annual chairman's luncheon at the Westfields Marriott Washington Dulles in Chantilly. He repeated many of the comments he has made this off-season, promoting the franchise's rich 70-plus-year history and commitment to honoring its past.

But Allen, who was appointed to the Redskins' GM position last December, also told the crowd of about 200 that they would be proud to see the "hardest-working team in the NFL" next year -- versus the Dallas Cowboys, he predicted fans would be "yelling their rear ends off" -- and that while "not promising a Super Bowl, you will be happy."

Working hard hasn't been the problem. Working smart has.

I think both of these were a problem, by the halfway point of Zorn's tenure, at least for some guys.

Being on such an embarrassing, hopeless team sucks the spirit out of you.

Shanahan needs to keep them working harder and smarter.

This team is still building a core. You have Orakpo, Cooley, Trent Williams and some other promising younger players.

But we need better depth and that will only come through the draft and future FA where 4th and 5th year players will be available.

This year there were only 4 picks to start with and free agency was cut off due to the uncapped season.

So, a lot more 30 year old vets were added than would have otherwise been the case.

That said, it sure would be nice to see this team go out and really hit people in 2010.

This team was creamy soft in 2009 and out of shape too.

Mike Williams and Haynesworth were poster children for that.

I don't agree with that statement. I know what you are saying, but remember the Spurrier era? I remember a story about praticing in the rain. Spurrier was at the exit looking at the rain with the offense, while Marvin Lewis shouted for his defense to get on the field. I think since the Spurrier era, each coach has come in with a lot to prove and little time to do it. That leads people to become lethargic. The coaches can't pay attention to details, so people become lazy because they feel no one is holding them accountable. We are not tough anymore. I use to love this team grit.

Here's why you should like this.

Allen and Shanahan will cut big names if they have to. Surprised by Marko Mitchell? We haven't seen anything yet. The front office and coaching staff is synced and they want the same thing... discipline and accountability.

This may be what every team shoots for, but we haven't had it in Washington for some time. Gibbs was great, but he played favorites and Vinny was still around.

Hopefully they are not worn out by mid-season.

That will be the time of the season when the teams who aren't in shape will start wearing out and get beat down by the teams who are in shape. I really believe the Redskins are going to be a fighting machine this year, I can't wait till this season gets under way!

Say what you want about Gibbs II but he had his team ready to fight almost every Sunday. There were a couple flukes here and there but for the most part, they came to play. Under Zorn not so much.

Agree 100% Stoney! It was guaranteed a Joe Gibbs team would dog fight you the entire game.

I like Fletcher being used as a face of the franchise.

Also Allen said London is "everything that is right with athletes today"!!!!

This speaks volumes about our current HC and FO...status given to a player who actually deserves it...congrats Shanny and Allen...no more prima donna redskinettes with undeserved status and the inmates running the asylum...this is the part Snyda would have NEVER understood...NEVER...

This type of stuff will go a long way with other players and the building of proper dynamics and locker room chemistry...

Damn right London Fletcher is worthy of being the face of the franchise!

Snyda probably would have given a dual cover to Laron Landry and Albert Haynesworth!!!

Allen and Shanahan will cut big names if they have to. Surprised by Marko Mitchell? We haven't seen anything yet. The front office and coaching staff is synced and they want the same thing... discipline and accountability.

Marko Mitchell is a big name? :silly:

What you can do is measured by how flexible you can be, which is often driven by contracts. The team has shed dead weight in past (see Laverneus Coles, Lavar Arrington), but usually at a price. It happens that the price this year isn't heavy to shed dead weight, so we did it easily. Most of it probably would have happened no matter who was in charge.

Could you please either elaborate or retract this statement? I don't see it as accurate. If the articles tell the truth one big difference thus far is the players respect of and for Mike Shannahan. The hard work will pay dividends IMO and that lack luster effort was in effect due to the belief that management did not know what it was doing. This management team from all accounts has read the mission statement and implemented it. The lip service seems far from fake at this point. Come season we shall see, but I beleive there is a reason they brought in the guys they brought in.

The Redskins had and have the talent, last year it was not applied. That was not a 4-12 team IMO. Yes the OL needed tweaking, but really how much of that was the work and how much was the structure of the management?

Man I love Allen and his attitude...that being said I can't wait for this team to start punching other teams in the mouth 1st instead of taking one on the chin and tearing up....and Round 1 of this 16 Round fight starts with the boys in prime time. :box: "Fight for old D.C"

This is all any fan can hope for.

A team that plays with heart is something I can always be proud of.

That's why watching a Z*rn led team was so tough. No heart. No fight to the bitter end.

If he's right there are going to be some happy fans in WAshington.

Archived