Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL: [A Redskin mentioned] Tomlinson one of five aging rushers with something still left in the tank

JustAfan47

Tomlinson one of five aging rushers that still has something left

By Bucky Brooks | NFL.com

Analyst

Larry Johnson, Redskins

The two-time Pro Bowler has been viewed by many as a washed-up runner, but the Redskins have the pieces to help him return to the ranks of the elite.

Johnson's hard-charging running style is an ideal fit in the team's zone-based system, and the presence of Donovan McNabb will eliminate some of the eight-man fronts that defensive coordinators have used to clog up his running lanes in recent years. Consequently, Johnson could find big seams in the middle of defenses, and supplant Clinton Portis as the feature runner in the Redskins' new version of the "Over the Hill Gang."

Man first Virmeil say's LJ will be our starter now this guy too.... :ols::ols:

Here's the link for the article. http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8188ac7f&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Edit: "Johnson's hard-charging running style is an ideal fit in the team's zone-based system" Now out of CP, and LJ lets not think about what is left in the tank for a mount. For the ZBS out of the two LJ is the "ideal" fit?????.... OK!

I think LJ will get a lot of carries this year. Early reports from camp have him running with purpose and determination, if this is true, it will be tough to keep him off the field. For the record, I still expect CP to start, but something approaching a 50-50 split on carries would not suprise me in the least. LJ will be thunder and CP will be lightening. Mark my words.

I can't remember if it was another article or an ES member who said that Johnson's downhill running style was mismatched with the "patience" required for success in Shanny's one cut and go system. All I could think of then was how LJ came in when Priest went down in KC and tore it up. I am no expert on the Vermeil running system, but it at least looked similar. While I don't necessarily think LJ has any of those early KC years left in him, I've always felt Shanny's system compliments his style nicely. He should be fine making the reads and hitting the hole. Ultimately it comes down to how much of a toll those record breaking carries-per-season years have taken on his legs and, to an extent, his psyche. Between CP and LJ, we should be better than fine. Throw Westy into the mix and I like our RB corps for this year, and possibly next.

that's nice to hear, but i think if we're seeing "big seams in the middle of defenses," then CP ought to do just fine in the starting role as well.

I was about to say lol :ols:...Does this guy really think that Portis won't benefit from seeing "big seams" in the middle of opposing defenses, and only Larry Johnson will?

Johnson hasn't been "elite" in 4 years. Call me skeptical.

What I take away from the evaluation is two things. First is what the good folks before me have posted in this thread, if there are lanes to run in, exactly how would this not benefit Clinton Portis? Especially when it's he and not Johnson who knows this offense.

The other thing that I take away is how much value and importance this guy is placing on McNabb being there and thus opening stuff up for the running game. Kind of validates those who have said that what Clinton has done here in DC, running behind an underachieving line, an offense not suited to his skills and mediocre QB play, is very impressive.

I can't remember if it was another article or an ES member who said that Johnson's downhill running style was mismatched with the "patience" required for success in Shanny's one cut and go system. All I could think of then was how LJ came in when Priest went down in KC and tore it up. I am no expert on the Vermeil running system, but it at least looked similar. While I don't necessarily think LJ has any of those early KC years left in him, I've always felt Shanny's system compliments his style nicely. He should be fine making the reads and hitting the hole. Ultimately it comes down to how much of a toll those record breaking carries-per-season years have taken on his legs and, to an extent, his psyche. Between CP and LJ, we should be better than fine. Throw Westy into the mix and I like our RB corps for this year, and possibly next.

Al Saunders was KC's offensive coordinator in 2005 running his 700 plus page book Don Coryell system were LJ put up 1,700 yards. 2006-07 Mike Solari was named OC and keeped the 700 plus page book that Saunders was running there. 08 was Todd Haley HC/OC but N E ways LJ has had only two 1,000 plus yard season's and that was 05,06. LJ hasn't done much in years.. It's funny how people think that he will out proform CP.

Al Saunders was KC's offensive coordinator in 2005 running his 700 plus page book Don Coryell system were LJ put up 1,700 yards. 2006-07 Mike Solari was named OC and keeped the 700 plus page book that Saunders was running there. 08 was Todd Haley HC/OC but N E ways LJ has had only two 1,000 plus yard season's and that was 05,06. LJ hasn't done much in years.. It's funny how people think that he will out proform CP.

To be clear, I know who the offensive coordinator was in KC. I referred to it as the Vermeil running system in much the same way we refer to our new running system as Shanny's (in reference to the Denver style). I did so simply because there was a lot of talk about how Holmes was utilized much as Faulk was utilized in St. Louis, so it seemed fair to call it such. And I am not one that necessarily thinks LJ will outperform CP. I just don't think LJ is as much a lost cause as some like to believe. And I definitely don't think he is mismatched for a read and go/pick a lane running style.

Johnson hasn't been "elite" in 4 years. Call me skeptical.

What I take away from the evaluation is two things. First is what the good folks before me have posted in this thread, if there are lanes to run in, exactly how would this not benefit Clinton Portis? Especially when it's he and not Johnson who knows this offense.

The other thing that I take away is how much value and importance this guy is placing on McNabb being there and thus opening stuff up for the running game. Kind of validates those who have said that what Clinton has done here in DC, running behind an underachieving line, an offense not suited to his skills and mediocre QB play, is very impressive.

a running back knowing the offense beforehand is overrated. how many RB's come straight from college and do well in their 1st and 2nd years in the league? not only making a change in offenses but a massive step up in talent. larry johnson has been a pro for a while, it shouldnt take him too long to adjust to the new playbook.

it will be a good thing for the redskins to have both CP and LJ

also keep in mind the chiefs OL has been arguably worse than the skins OL for the past few years.

People also need to realize that LJ might be older in real life, but he has much less wear and tear on his body.

Wow, I just looked it up and it's pretty significant actually.

CP will be 29 when the season starts and has over 2,400 touches in the NFL.

LJ will be 30 when the season starts and has less than 1,600 touches in the NFL.

I'm not sure what that's worth, but I think it's safe to say that just the true age of a player is incomplete when evaluating what's left in the tank.

LJ will be thunder and CP will be lightening. Mark my words.

What connotations does lightning generate?

yes.... speed

I think you misspoke when saying portis will be lightning. hahaha. yah right. He has not been lightning since coming to the Redskins.

Our backfield tandem will be known as Rock and Roll.

To be clear, I know who the offensive coordinator was in KC. I referred to it as the Vermeil running system in much the same way we refer to our new running system as Shanny's (in reference to the Denver style). I did so simply because there was a lot of talk about how Holmes was utilized much as Faulk was utilized in St. Louis, so it seemed fair to call it such. And I am not one that necessarily thinks LJ will outperform CP. I just don't think LJ is as much a lost cause as some like to believe. And I definitely don't think he is mismatched for a read and go/pick a lane running style.

I see what your saying now... Sorry miss read your post. :cool:

I'm not down on LJ and I think CP and him could make a nice tandem. I just don't think CP is close to being done like some people seem to think.

People also need to realize that LJ might be older in real life, but he has much less wear and tear on his body.

Wow, I just looked it up and it's pretty significant actually.

CP will be 29 when the season starts and has over 2,400 touches in the NFL.

LJ will be 30 when the season starts and has less than 1,600 touches in the NFL.

I'm not sure what that's worth, but I think it's safe to say that just the true age of a player is incomplete when evaluating what's left in the tank.

Agreed - Ricky Williams is a good example of this.

I think LJ will get a lot of carries this year. Early reports from camp have him running with purpose and determination, if this is true, it will be tough to keep him off the field. For the record, I still expect CP to start, but something approaching a 50-50 split on carries would not suprise me in the least. LJ will be thunder and CP will be lightening. Mark my words.

I agree and LJ will be our RB inside the 5 so I expect him to have twice the number of TD's as CP if not 3 times. I also think CP's carries will come way down this year.....when you have LJ inside the Redzone and maybe Westbrook in on 3rd downs that leaves little for CP. Its going to be much like Barber/Jones and Choice in dallas....

Also the sig bet that CP will reach 1200 yards comes to mind...I'm not going to say it can't be done but with the factors listed above CP has an uphill climb for sure...I'm pulling for the guy.

Archived