Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone here do computer repair?

dockeryfan

I have an old Sony Vaio laptop PCG-Z1VA and the power jack is broken, so I can't turn it on. I know these can be replaced, but I'm not sure if anyone local to Rockville, MD runs a computer business for hardware repair. I prefer Skins fans for all my computer repair needs, lol.

I have an old Sony Vaio laptop PCG-Z1VA and the power jack is broken, so I can't turn it on. I know these can be replaced, but I'm not sure if anyone local to Rockville, MD runs a computer business for hardware repair. I prefer Skins fans for all my computer repair needs, lol.

I've dealt with a similar issue at work and the main board had to be replaced (was under warranty). If it's outside of warranty, I'd suspect it would make more sense, money wise, to just buy a new laptop. The data on the hard drive should be fine, so you should be able to pull that out and throw it in an external enclosure and that use a different PC to get the data you need.

The DC jack is very inexpensive ($30-$50) - I will have a better idea once I take your laptop apart. Also have to see if it needs to be soldiered on or not. I live in Germantown and have my own IT/Repair company. PM me if you want it get fixed (just keep in mind it also could be your motherboard as well and won't know until we run a test on it) and the labor should be around $140.

The DC jack is very inexpensive ($30-$50) - I will have a better idea once I take your laptop apart. Also have to see if it needs to be soldiered on or not. I live in Germantown and have my own IT/Repair company. PM me if you want it get fixed (just keep in mind it also could be your motherboard as well and won't know until we run a test on it) and the labor should be around $140.

This seems about right; about what my company charges (depending on the cost of the part, they're usually fairly cheap). I generally try to avoid most power jack repairs as they're a pain in the ass to remove and resolder a new one. Of course, that may be because my soldering iron sucks, but I'd like to think that they're just a pain in the ass no matter what equipment you use (unless its a modular part that has a cable that just plugs into the motherboard -- those are the best).

But also, consider how old the PC is and if it is really worth it to get it fixed or if you'd rather use the $200 as 1/3rd of a payment (assuming $600 machine, budget range, but they're a lot better these days) towards a new laptop that'll easily outperform the one you have now.

Archived