Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Time: Arizona Republicans will likely introduce legislation this fall that would deny birth certificates to children born in Arizona

heyholetsgogrant

ES First Wildcard Spot  

105 members have voted

1. 1. ES First Wildcard Spot

Didn't mean to come off like a jerk, now that I re-read my post, more of a woosah kind of request. We definitely received an 'unofficial' piece of paper from the hospital that I might as well have thrown away, it was worthless, but in regards to applying for a SSN, why would I have to get it some other place? My wife and I planned to have our daughter, we responsibly checked each hospital in the area as what they provided, and then we let the hospital know we would be giving birth there. I knew ahead of time that I would be filling out all this paperwork there, and we would get her birth certificate and SSN cards later, and then we could setup her health insurance. Again, personal responsibility, it's not the United States' fault they came here illegally, its their own, they need to take responsibility for their child, not me.

Wholly and completely irrelevant. You're advocating the violation of the 14th Amendment to the Constitution the part that says; "No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States" and you want to lecture me about responsibility?

When I first saw this, it seemed crazy...but to be honest, it makes sense.

It's not really very logical to give citizenship to a child born here by two people who aren't citizens.

Why should someone be given citizenship for just spending the minimum amount of time here that's needed for them to be born?

What if they're born in an airport during a stop between leaving one country and visiting another one (both not the USA)?

Not saying that this particular law is constitutional though.

Just that it isn't all that unreasonable.

Again, personal responsibility, it's not the United States' fault they came here illegally, its their own, they need to take responsibility for their child, not me.
who is asking you to take responsibility for anyone? I certainly don't feel responsible for your kids, do you feel responsible for anyone elses? Those "anchor babies" (otherwise known as US Citizens) have the same rights as you do by law.

Again, personal responsibility, they should not be US Citizens because their parents are criminals. They should not be afforded that right because they would not be here in the first place if a crime was not committed. Sorry, but if you can't see the logic in that we will just have to agree to disagree:saber:

Then your argument is not with me, your argument is with the Constitution of the United States.

they should not be US Citizens because their parents are criminals.

So now you're arguing that we should be denying citizenship to children because their parents are criminals? OK, let's just see where this goes for a second. Illegal entry into the United States=misdemeanor. So, if we simply follow the logic, we should then be able to deny citizenship to any child who is born of a person who has committed a misdemeanor crime...like say speeding. Yeah, this could work out pretty well, and to tell the truth I think we just solved our Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid problems.

who is asking you to take responsibility for anyone? I certainly don't feel responsible for your kids, do you feel responsible for anyone elses? Those "anchor babies" (otherwise known as US Citizens) have the same rights as you do by law.

What's wrong with changing the law/amending the Constitution, so children of illegals are not automatically given US citizenship?

My child has a US Citizen as the parent, I was born legally in the US by two US Citizens, have been raised in VA my entire life, gone through school in the US, and currently work and pay taxes in the US. I have no problem if the parents want to leave the child here in the US, as its not the childs fault, but the entire premise of an "anchor baby" is so they can stay in the US because they have found a loop hole in our system.

Then your argument is not with me, your argument is with the Constitution of the United States.

So now you're arguing that we should be denying citizenship to children because their parents are criminals? OK, let's just see where this goes for a second. Illegal entry into the United States=misdemeanor. So, if we simply follow the logic, we should then be able to deny citizenship to any child who is born of a person who has committed a misdemeanor crime...like say speeding. Yeah, this could work out pretty well, and to tell the truth I think we just solved our Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid problems.

Yep you are right :rolleyes:, if you can't see the flaw in what you just created you're lost. I'm a US Citizen who accidentally got caught speeding....I'm not a US Citizen who just got caught purposefully and illegally breaking your laws and then trying to use your laws against you so I can have your rights.

Whatever, and again, they can leave their children here so their children can have a better life. Its not the kids fault, but the anchor baby is used so the parent can get the benefits too, uh duh.

What's wrong with changing the law/amending the Constitution, so children of illegals are not automatically given US citizenship?

Agree, someone finally found a loophole in our great constitution. Why don't we tie the knot on it so that it isn't used against us?

Considering only 58% of people agree with that position and you also need 2/3's of BOTH houses and 3/4's of the states need to ratify it. Good luck.

Yep you are right :rolleyes:, if you can't see the flaw in what you just created you're lost. I'm a US Citizen who accidentally got caught speeding....I'm not a US Citizen who just got caught purposefully and illegally breaking your laws and then trying to use your laws against you so I can have your rights.

You're the one suggesting that we should be denying citizenship to criminals, where do we stop?

Whatever, and again, they can leave their children here so their children can have a better life. Its not the kids fault, but the anchor baby is used so the parent can get the benefits too, uh duh.
but the entire premise of an "anchor baby" is so they can stay in the US because they have found a loop hole in our system.

There are NO anchor baby laws that keep a parent in the country illegally...none...zero...zip...zilch. The "anchor baby" idea is pure mythology.

You're the one suggesting that we should be denying citizenship to criminals, where do we stop?

There are NO anchor baby laws that keep a parent in the country illegally...none...zero...zip...zilch. The "anchor baby" idea is pure mythology.

Uh, wrong:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchor_baby#History_and_usage

and that's just wikipedia. Illegal aliens have child, child has US rights, child can sponsor family abroad, not a law, but a loophole. Next?

Uh, wrong:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchor_baby#History_and_usage

and that's just wikipedia. Illegal aliens have child, child has US rights, child can sponsor family abroad, not a law, but a loophole. Next?

Ahh, and how many newborns are sponsoring their parent's immigration? Like I said, "there are NO anchor baby laws that keep a parent in the country illegally".

Considering only 58% of people agree with that position and you also need 2/3's of BOTH houses and 3/4's of the states need to ratify it. Good luck.

Ahhh right I forgot, even though the majority of the people would like to see the anchor baby law changed, our politicians don't have the gonads to represent the majority out of fear of losing the vote.

My child has a US Citizen as the parent, I was born legally in the US by two US Citizens, have been raised in VA my entire life, gone through school in the US, and currently work and pay taxes in the US.
And? Does that makes them special or something because dad was a US citizen? I have friends with parents that were on work visas when they were born, does that make them lesser than your children? What exactly is your point? The way it works has always been, born here = US citizen. If your parents are bank robbers or murderers or illegal aliens has little or nothing to do with YOU. Suddenly we need to change that? Why? What are the numbers we are dealing with here that are so insurmountable that it's time to change long accepted law?
I have no problem if the parents want to leave the child here in the US, as its not the childs fault, but the entire premise of an "anchor baby" is so they can stay in the US because they have found a loop hole in our system.
Seems like taking away the reasons for them coming here in the first place would do more to solve immigration than targeting children then. I think we should focus on that.

Ahhh right I forgot, even though the majority of the people would like to see the anchor baby law changed, our politicians don't have the gonads to represent the majority out of fear of losing the vote.

Should give you pause when you consider that neither party is willing to actually do something about illegal immigration despite it's huge political popularity. I'm a logical person. When I see a low hanging political fruit with a huge payoff that no one wants any part of... that makes me wonder about said fruit.

Simple majority is not how our nation has ever worked on Constitutional matters....thank God.

Tyranny of half plus 1. The Constitution is hard to change for a reason and thank God for it being so.

Seems like taking away the reasons for them coming here in the first place would do more to solve immigration than

targeting children then. I think we should focus on that.

That I can agree with, although I just don't see that happening. I wish there was another way to do things, but I can't fault Arizona for taking matters into their own hands. They are the ones getting hit the most for illegal aliens, I live in VA, there are many illegal aliens here but I can't even imagine how many there are down there. If they feel they are getting hit hard by illegals, who are we to tell them they cannot do anything about it? The way they go about it may be harsh, but they are just trying every way they can to squash the issue. I just think they have finally hit the 'oh well sucks to be you' point because all the talk from the federal government has been for nothing, they have received no help in any way.

Why stop it there? What about children of felons? What about children of rapists? What about children of legal immigrants that aren't yet US citizens? What about giving US citizenship at 18 instead of birth so kids that aren't raised in the US aren't forced on us with their odd cultural beliefs?

Or... how about changing the law/constitution (good luck with that) BEFORE giving new meaning to "undocumented" by forcing children into legal non-existence. Seems like a great way to create a slave class. Birth illegals in Arizona and the kids legally don't exist. What an awesome idea.

For as much ****ing about how healthcare reform was unconstitutional its great seeing (some) conservatives advocating clear violation of the 14th amendment. Who would have guessed that a lot of conservatives don't give a **** about the Constitution when they don't like parts of it.

If they feel they are getting hit hard by illegals, who are we to tell them they cannot do anything about it? The way they go about it may be harsh, but they are just trying every way they can to squash the issue.

We are the People of the United States of America, a nation of people who are guided by laws, and our preeminent law and guiding document is the Constitution of the United States. We are the people who stand and look at the world abroad and decry the harshness of foreign regimes, we are the people who stand in advocacy for the recognition of the basic human rights of all people.

We are NOT the people who abandon our most sacred and guiding principles whenever they are inconvenient...or at least I hope we are not, but it seems that more and more we are....much to our demise.

Why stop it there? What about children of felons? What about children of rapists? What about children of legal immigrants that aren't yet US citizens? What about giving US citizenship at 18 instead of birth so kids that aren't raised in the US aren't forced on us with their odd cultural beliefs?

How about children of Cowboys fans?

:evilg:

I really think that most of the opposed here are pushing this to the extremes. They are the ones that rolled their eyes when conservatives questioned the health bill and asked the extreme questions, and now are the ones who are asking the extreme questions. What if, what if, what if? Hypocrisy much?

For as much ****ing about how healthcare reform was unconstitutional its great seeing (some) conservatives advocating clear violation of the 14th amendment. Who would have guessed that a lot of conservatives don't give a **** about the Constitution when they don't like parts of it.

ConstitutionToiletPaper.jpg

Archived