Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Time: Arizona Republicans will likely introduce legislation this fall that would deny birth certificates to children born in Arizona

heyholetsgogrant

ES First Wildcard Spot  

105 members have voted

1. 1. ES First Wildcard Spot

Arizona's Next Immigration Target: Children of Illegals

By Adam Klawonn / Phoenix Friday, Jun. 11, 2010

"Anchor babies" isn't a very endearing term, but in Arizona those are the words being used to tag children born in the U.S. to illegal immigrants. While not new, the term is increasingly part of the local vernacular because the primary authors of the nation's toughest and most controversial immigration law are targeting these tots — the legal weights that anchor many undocumented aliens in the U.S. — for their next move.

Buoyed by recent public opinion polls suggesting they're on the right track with illegal immigration, Arizona Republicans will likely introduce legislation this fall that would deny birth certificates to children born in Arizona — and thus American citizens according to the U.S. Constitution — to parents who are not legal U.S. citizens. The law largely is the brainchild of state Sen. Russell Pearce, a Republican whose suburban district, Mesa, is considered the conservative bastion of the Phoenix political scene. He is a leading architect of the Arizona law that sparked outrage throughout the country: Senate Bill 1070, which allows law enforcement officers to ask about someone's immigration status during a traffic stop, detainment or arrest if reasonable suspicion exists — things like poor English skills, acting nervous or avoiding eye contact during a traffic stop. (See the battle for Arizona: will a border crackdown work?)

Free Article Click Here:

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1996064,00.html?xid=huffpo-direct#ixzz0qnJCrzOQ

Source:Time

Full Article Click Here

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1996064,00.html?xid=huffpo-direct

I don't necessarily agree with this bill, until I see more on it, but I don't think it is a horrible idea. It all depends on how it is written, when introduced for a vote, and how they will be able to enforce it. The Constitution would take precedence over this bill, so, I don't see how they can enforce it. If they are going to do it, it would need to be done at the Federal level and possibly as an amendment to the Constitution.

For a long time I thought that the citizen requirements should be changed. 1 parent should be a U.S. citizen or legal resident of the U.S. in order to confer citizenship on their children. While this would not stop illegal immigration, it would give them 1 less reason to try.

Ah, that's a good idea. Take it out on the infants. The infants who are, ironically, the only American citizens in the families that would be affected by this bill.

(I looked up Russell Pearce, by the way. Given the "conservative bastion" line, I wasn't surprised to see that he's sponsored pro-life legislation. I find abortion to be the absolute toughest of political issues, so I have no qualms with someone who acts on what he believes is right regarding the unborn. But to also sponsor legislation specifically designed to create a disadvantage for a baby the moment it leaves the wrong womb is... well, I don't think "sad" quite does it justice.)

Anyway, the efforts to get around the Constitution described in the article seem completely implausible. It's pretty hard to "write around" the 14th amendment.

Wow, that's interesting. It seems the far right wing are strict constructionists who will fight to the last man against reinterpreting the constitution...except when doing so doesn't suit their interests. Shocking. :rolleyes:

Nonsense like this is why I'm now a FORMER Republican. When the GOP comes up with some actual ideas and stops insulting my intelligence by pretending the tea bagger lunatic fringe is mainstream conservatism, I'll be back...or maybe not. I'm kind of enjoying life as an independent.

This is AZ screaming out for attention from the Federal government, they are understaffed on the borders and the state is tired of with dealing with international issues with what is perceived by many as a lack of national assistance.

Wow, that's interesting. It seems the far right wing are strict constructionists who will fight to the last man against reinterpreting the constitution...except when doing so doesn't suit their interests. Shocking. :rolleyes:
Are you sure that this move is unconstitutional? They are not denying U.S. citizenship, they are just not handing out birth certificates, which is obviously a state issue. Really this move is just another one that is cleverly designed to keep illegals out of Arizona.

Are you sure that this move is unconstitutional? They are not denying U.S. citizenship, they are just not handing out birth certificates, which is obviously a state issue. Really this move is just another one that is cleverly designed to keep illegals out of Arizona.

And how are they supposed to prove their Constitutionally protected citizenship without a birth certificate? If the last law didn't get a court challenge from the US Attorney General, this one will. Handing out a birth certificate is not simply a state issue because it is the only document that you have for a child to prove US citizenship, without it you can't apply for a SSN. I don't understand how this can even be partly considered legal, they children ARE citizens, on what grounds does Arizona feel that they are in the right in denying legal citizens of the United States any of the public services guaranteed them. This whole business makes me sick, and those supporting it make me sicker. The Right is always the champion of the Constitution right up to the point where they want to deport children who are legal US citizens because of a misdemeanor that their parents committed. Bravo GOP! Bravo!! This is the Compassionate Conservatism that we've been looking for!!

It looks like the strategy is "make it as uncomfortable to live in AZ if you are an illegal." Personally, I think it is a good strategy towards the goal of ensuring immigration laws are enforced.

However, I'm not sure you can simply not hand out birth certificates. Why not simply not record their births?

ASF,

The strategy is to make it as uncomfortable for illegals in their state. At least that's my opinion... why AZ doesn't just come out and say that? No idea...

Lots of things can make someone uncomfortable, but now they are talking about denying state services to LEGAL citizens of the United States. What's next, can a state start denying birth certificates to children with one or more convicted felon in an attempt to "make it as uncomfortable for" felons in their state? If you support this bill then tell me why the idea I just proposed is not equally justifiable?

Nothing screams moral values like taking it out on children. Then again it's AZ we are talking about. The only thing they do well is crazy.

Seems like a federal issue, not a state issue; who is offered citizenship in the US.

And how are they supposed to prove their Constitutionally protected citizenship without a birth certificate? If the last law didn't get a court challenge from the US Attorney General, this one will. Handing out a birth certificate is not simply a state issue because it is the only document that you have for a child to prove US citizenship, without it you can't apply for a SSN. I don't understand how this can even be partly considered legal, they children ARE citizens, on what grounds does Arizona feel that they are in the right in denying legal citizens of the United States any of the public services guaranteed them. This whole business makes me sick, and those supporting it make me sicker. The Right is always the champion of the Constitution right up to the point where they want to deport children who are legal US citizens because of a misdemeanor that their parents committed. Bravo GOP! Bravo!! This is the Compassionate Conservatism that we've been looking for!!

Whoa there big fella, climb down off your high horse, now do you have kids? I do, come to find out when you are in the hospital you apply for both a birth certificate and a SSN card at the same time, from the exact same person in the hospital. A rep from your state works in the hospital to get the paperwork taken care of, and gets you however many copies of each that you want. You don't need a birth certificate to apply for a SSN in a hospital because, *GASP*, no child has a birth certificate in a hospital, you get those a few weeks to a month later.

Just an fyi to everyone who is freaking out over this, the only children being denied a US Birth Certificate are those of illegal aliens who are not US Citizens, how is this wrong? That's like me getting my wife pregnant here in VA, then flying to South Africa when she is full term, and demanding my South African Birth Certificate. I'm not a South African citizen, why should we be getting perks in another country because I'm irresponsible?

Whoa there big fella, climb down off your high horse, now do you have kids? I do, come to find out when you are in the hospital you apply for both a birth certificate and a SSN card at the same time, from the exact same person in the hospital. A rep from your state works in the hospital to get the paperwork taken care of, and gets you however many copies of each that you want. You don't need a birth certificate to apply for a SSN in a hospital because, *GASP*, no child has a birth certificate in a hospital, you get those a few weeks to a month later.

Well that's not the way it was with either of my two children, we got the hospital's birth certificate, and then we had to request an SSN for both of our children from the local Social Security office using the birth certificate that was given to us by the hospital, and that was in two different states. Not to mention the certificate given to us in the hospital was not the "official" certificate, that we had to apply for from the state. So, don't tell me to climb down off my high horse.

So let me ask you; if you are not afforded the luxury of being able to immediately apply for a SSN in the hospital how exactly are you supposed to go about getting one? What's more is that a SSN does not give proof of age nor birth date.

Just an fyi to everyone who is freaking out over this, the only children being denied a US Birth Certificate are those of illegal aliens who are not US Citizens, how is this wrong?

Because the CHILDREN ARE LEGAL US CITIZENS just like it says in the CONSTITUTION of the United States. You know...that convenient document that is there to point and scream at when demanding we follow the intention of the Founding Fathers, but the one we conveniently ignore when we want to deny public services from US citizens because of something their parents did.

Way to go ya'll, you've managed to make me feel even worse about the humanity of our great and enlightened nation.

Well that's not the way it was with either of my two children, we got the hospital's birth certificate, and then we had to request an SSN for both of our children from the local Social Security office using the birth certificate that was given to us by the hospital, and that was in two different states. Not to mention the certificate given to us in the hospital was not the "official" certificate, that we had to apply for from the state. So, don't tell me to climb down off my high horse.

So let me ask you; if you are not afforded the luxury of being able to immediately apply for a SSN in the hospital how exactly are you supposed to go about getting one? What's more is that a SSN does not give proof of age nor birth date.

Didn't mean to come off like a jerk, now that I re-read my post, more of a woosah kind of request. We definitely received an 'unofficial' piece of paper from the hospital that I might as well have thrown away, it was worthless, but in regards to applying for a SSN, why would I have to get it some other place? My wife and I planned to have our daughter, we responsibly checked each hospital in the area as what they provided, and then we let the hospital know we would be giving birth there. I knew ahead of time that I would be filling out all this paperwork there, and we would get her birth certificate and SSN cards later, and then we could setup her health insurance. Again, personal responsibility, it's not the United States' fault they came here illegally, its their own, they need to take responsibility for their child, not me.

Because the CHILDREN ARE LEGAL US CITIZENS just like it says in the CONSTITUTION of the United States. You know...that convenient document that is there to point and scream at when demanding we follow the intention of the Founding Fathers, but the one we conveniently ignore when we want to deny public services from US citizens because of something their parents did.

Way to go ya'll, you've managed to make me feel even worse about the humanity of our great and enlightened nation.

Again, personal responsibility, they should not be US Citizens because their parents are criminals. They should not be afforded that right because they would not be here in the first place if a crime was not committed. Sorry, but if you can't see the logic in that we will just have to agree to disagree:saber:

Archived