Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN - When's Jerry taking care of Austin?

HapHaszard

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/14794/whens-jerry-taking-care-of-austin

Miles Austin became the 13th and final Cowboys player to sign his tender Friday, and it's a raw deal. He's scheduled to make about $6 million less than Roy Williams in 2010, which is downright embarrassing when you compare the receivers' numbers from last season. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones vowed to sign Austin to a long-term contract, but it's obvious he still has the hammer.

Austin was among numerous players across the league who were negatively impacted by the owners opting out of the collective bargaining agreement. That robbed him of the opportunity to cash in as an unrestricted free agent. Austin sent a little message to the Cowboys by skipping the first couple weeks of voluntary workouts. But Tony Romo sits to pee called his good friend and asked him to return to the fold.

Now, we're wondering when Austin will receive his big payday. Here's what Jerry Jones said about the situation:

"He's a star receiver. You ask about those other guys [Dez Bryant and Roy Williams], but you feel the same way with Miles," said Phillips on Friday. "He takes it all in stride. He keeps working at what he's doing. He tries to get better every play and trying to do his best every play -- and his best is very, very good."

click on the link above for the rest of the article

Now, we're wondering when Austin will receive his big payday. Here's what Jerry Jones said about the situation:

"He's a star receiver. You ask about those other guys [Dez Bryant and Roy Williams], but you feel the same way with Miles,"

Should they feel the same way with all three? Roy Williams has cost Dallas a small fortune in terms of picks and salary while producing minimal return. Bryant's salary and signing bonus will be large without producing anything. Austin is the only one to truly produce out of the lot.

I don't understand all the hype around this guy. He played half a season of good football and all of a sudden he's the next great WR. I'd tell him to play another season of quality football before I even considered giving him more money.

I don't understand all the hype around this guy. He played half a season of good football and all of a sudden he's the next great WR. I'd tell him to play another season of quality football before I even considered giving him more money.

He played 12 games of what was largely outstanding football. That said, it would definitely be smart of the Cowboys to wait until at least the midpoint of this upcoming season to make absolutely sure he isn't a one-year wonder.

He played 12 games of what was largely outstanding football. That said, it would definitely be smart of the Cowboys to wait until at least the midpoint of this upcoming season to make absolutely sure he isn't a one-year wonder.
Look at these stats:

WR 1: 81 Rec 1,320 Yds 16.3 Avg 11 TDs

WR 2: 82 Rec 1,310 Yds 16.0 Avg 7 TDs

Almost exactly the same except the TDs. WR 1 is Miles Austin in 2009. WR 2 is Roy Williams supposed "breakout" season in 2006. I don't see anyone drooling over him now. Let the guy show you he can be consistantly good and this season wasn't just a flash in the pan before you give him big money.

Since when is Miles Austin a star? One break out season makes you one? Wow. I guess Derrick Anderson is a star, too...

derek anderson had a slightly above average year(might want to check his stats, not as good as you think). miles austin had an incredible year in basically 12 games. still, no way you pay him until he proves he can do half of what he did last season a second time.

Archived