Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

so did anyone pick up an evo 4g?

squatch66

curious since it has been a week and i didnt see a thread on it. anyone get one? what are your impressions on it? i got to mess around with one for a couple of minutes last night. my first impression? jesus this thing is huge!!!! i did like the touchscreen keyboard and the speed on it was good even though we were only getting 3g coverage.

anyways i was just wondering what anyone who has one has thought since you have had way more time with it than me.

Yup. I bought 3. I got them on release day for $260 including tax for all 3. I traded in two iphones.

I'm in love with this thing. 4g is fast as hell and the device is very fast. I like android so much more then the iphone OS and I had mine jailbroken. I'm actually typing on it now. I have been streaming the World Cup on it. Fantastic phone

The only downside is battery life with this huge ass screen and 4g. Not a big deal since I have a car charger and also sits on the charger at work. I may invest in a better battery but we shall see.

Sprint sucks so, so badly on the most basic elements of customer service. But my only other real option is Verizon, and I live in a weird pocket about 1/4 on a side where Verizon service is spotty. (Township won't allow any cell towers.) Sprint coverage is actually best around here, so I'm stuck.

If I only had the time to tell all of my stories about getting shafted right up the arse by Sprint... but it would involve entirely too much typing. (Edit: two of those stories involve trying to pick up a new Evo.)

I miss Verizon so much. :(

dont get me started on bad service. i am so pissed at tmobile i am actually considering buying out my contract because that means that they will get less of my money. the only other thing that i am considering is that if i do buy out my contract then i am looking at another $300 so in the end i will be dropping a little over $500 for an evo. not sure if its worth it.

I have an Iphone now and I am considering picking this up, but I still have about a year left on my contract. I stay in 2 places and both have 4g coverage with Sprint, so I would almost always have good coverage. AT&T's network here sucks, I drop calls all the time, and I'm very annoyed that they are charging $20 just to tether, while forcing you into a metered data plan, without giving you any extra bandwidth. It's basically a $20 fee on how I choose to use the data I already pay for. I hate that.

Does the Evo have the ability to tether without paying the $30 to make it a wireless router (which I also think is awesome, but unecessary).

I have an Iphone now and I am considering picking this up, but I still have about a year left on my contract. I stay in 2 places and both have 4g coverage with Sprint, so I would almost always have good coverage. AT&T's network here sucks, I drop calls all the time, and I'm very annoyed that they are charging $20 just to tether, while forcing you into a metered data plan, without giving you any extra bandwidth. It's basically a $20 fee on how I choose to use the data I already pay for. I hate that.

Does the Evo have the ability to tether without paying the $30 to make it a wireless router (which I also think is awesome, but unecessary).

yes you can tether without the plan by uding the usb cord connected to the laptop. You would need to download the modem driver from htc. It is called htc sync. Thats how I tethered today to watch the world cup on my laptop. I believe you can root the phone and turn it into a hotspot without paying $30 a month

Yeah, you can root it and tether/hotspot for free as long as Sprint doesn't catch on to your data usage.

It looks like a sick phone. Android rocks. I have the Eris on Verizon and love it. I rooted it and it smokes now! So much faster than out of the box. I am looking at the Incredible for an upgrade. That thing is crazy too.

Obviously, I am an Android "fan boy". :ols:

• 1 month later...
dont get me started on bad service. i am so pissed at tmobile i am actually considering buying out my contract because that means that they will get less of my money. the only other thing that i am considering is that if i do buy out my contract then i am looking at another $300 so in the end i will be dropping a little over $500 for an evo. not sure if its worth it.

About 5 years ago, I had T-Mobile and I had almost zero service in the town I lived in.

I've got one. Things that concerned me initially -

- The size. I got over this quickly - the functionality, screen clarity and how much better I heard phone conversations

- General functionality - music, outlook, how it navigates, how intuitive it was - took me 1 hour to realize how bad ass this device really is.

I am sold. By far Sprints best phone.

Also - no problems syncing with my Itunes playlists - free app available

No problems syncing with Outlook - again free apps are available

Adriod apps market is robust. Plenty and then some.

3g is fine. 4g is available all over NOVA. 4g is fast - I did a youtube video comparison with my laptop at home and 4g was faster on my phone with the video.

Okay, so if you want to get a sense for how unbelievable Evo is, read my post above about how awful Sprint is. Then consider the below. :D

I am absolutely delighted with Evo. Its capabilities border on unbelievable. I haven't rooted the phone yet -- just using it like a normal (wink) -- and I'm just floored by everything it does. Swype is delightful; free turn-by-turn is clutch; 4g is blazing fast and I get 4G coverage much more than I expected; battery life is basically a non-issue. I've taken it off the charger before lunch, used it for hours, left 4G on overnight, and woken up to find the battery at 70%. Based on what I read about the battery before getting the phone, I would have thought that to be impossible. The app market is just ridiculous with the number of free and useful apps. Outlook sync (mail, contacts, calendar) is nearly flawless for my purposes; in fact, I find that it works for me every bit as well as Gmail.

Even the size is perfect. I don't care for smaller phones that are girl-hand-sized. Evo is a great fit in my hand, in portrait or landscape mode. I picked up a slim case for it but I actually prefer to keep it "free" because the form factor is very nice out of the box. (I'm kind to phones, save for the occasional drop on the rug.) I actually have a hard time imagining as positive a user experience with a smaller phone. Personally I find iPhone to be too diminutive for my hands and fingertips.

Anyway, despite starting at the bottom of a very deep hole with Sprint's garbage customer service, I am completely satisfied thus far with virtually every aspect of Evo and the Sprint voice/data service. If only their customer service was worth anything. But you get what you pay for, and they obviously have made their decision as to what gets de-prioritized.

Archived