Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.Com: Signs of Progress On Offense

MustangSteve

It’s going to take time.

The Redskins are installing a new offense this offseason, and fluidity and consistency won’t happen overnight.

Or even by the first regular season game.

For now, players can only apply in practice what they have learned in the classroom.

It has been a challenge because head coach Mike Shanahan and offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan have decided to install the the offense all at once.

“It’s a constant adjustment anytime you put in a new system,” Mike Shanahan said on Thursday after the team’s OTA practice. “It takes a while to get to know it. There’ll be a constant adjustment all the way to our first game of the season.

“What you do there is you isolate on a game plan and obviously shorten the package from what it is right now. That way, players don’t have to think they can react. Right now we have thrown everything at them and it’s challenging them mentally.”

There is progress, though. Shanahan was encouraged by how the offense performed in the 2-minute drill during the latter part of Thursday’s OTA.

“It was pretty encouraging to see the quarterback and a couple of receivers come up with some big plays," Shanahan said. "We actually made some big plays as well in the 2-point situations.”

Shanahan’s offense has a foundation in West Coast principles, but it is expected to be run-focused to help set up the passing game of Donovan McNabb.

Click link for rest

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Signs_of_Progress_On_Offense__But_Patience_Still_Required_122875.jsp

Man, I hope Donovan responds well to this. It's tough for a QB to take in a new system like this. He's been used to running more or less the same system for a while now, so I'm hoping Shanahan helps use some of his old terminology or something to lessen the learning curve on his scheme.

Man, I hope Donovan responds well to this. It's tough for a QB to take in a new system like this. He's been used to running more or less the same system for a while now, so I'm hoping Shanahan helps use some of his old terminology or something to lessen the learning curve on his scheme.

Using a running back to RUN should help with the adjustment.

honestly, as far as offense goes, it really cant get any worse than last year. If we average 17 pts a game it will be an improvement (2009- 16.6pts/gm).

Also, we made westbrook an offer, any word on where he is leaning?

That plus one or two defensive touchdowns a game would give us at least 12 wins.

1 or 2 defensive touchdowns per game?

Do you consider yourself a casual or serious NFL fan?

I'm glad someone else already did, but man, I wanted to ask the same question.

Don't want to insult that guy's foeotball knowledge, and I know that Haslett is stressing aggression...but we haven't seen a defensive TD since '07 in Washington DC. Get a grip, dude!

I'm prety serious about the skins. My sarcasm has also been taken quite literally. While I was also voicing some optimism, I did not mean that we will score a defensive touchdown or two every single game. I did not state that at all.

We are changing defensive schemes and have a few players that were not here last year. Perhaps they could be the catalyst of change. We have seen a few attacking defenses the past 10 years. Attacking defenses are scoring defenses or used as an offense. Last year,The Saints scored more defensive touchdowns than 10 other defenses combined. And they were coached by Gregg Williams.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers scored 21 defensive touchdowns in the Superbowl against the Raiders. So it is not impossible to do. The defenses of the 70's were more of pure defense meaning that they stopped you but did not really score. They let the offense do that. We may not have a socred a td defensively since 2007 but you all will admit that you are seeing more pick 6 interceptions returned for touchdowns and Sack, Strip, Fumble, TDs.

The 1994 vikings defense had seven TD's. The 1998 Seahawks scored on 8 INTs & 2 fumbles as well as 3 kick returns. The 07-08 Vikings had 8 touchdowns and 1 kick return. The 2002 Tampa Bay Buccaneers defense scored 9 touchdowns. Four of them Derrick Brooks alone. A few Ronde Barber. I don't have a full breakdown. From 1995 through 2006 the average NFL defense scored 15.98 points per season. The highest-scoring team was the 1998 Seahawks, who put up 60 points.

Archived