Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Down Goes PG&E (California Prop 16)

Fergasun

PG&E spend $50M in an astroturf effort in order to pass a measure ensuring that local governments would have a harder time setting up public electricity districts. The proposition was termed something like the "taxpayers right to vote" act and would've mandated a 2/3 local vote to set up such a district. California voters defeated the measure 52-48! I'm still somewhat surprised by the close margin, but like the results; looking at the returns I want to say there are a lot of mouth breathers in San Bernadino and Riverside...

PG&E spend $50M in an astroturf effort in order to pass a measure ensuring that local governments would have a harder time setting up public electricity districts. The proposition was termed something like the "taxpayers right to vote" act and would've mandated a 2/3 local vote to set up such a district. California voters defeated the measure 52-48! I'm still somewhat surprised by the close margin, but like the results; looking at the returns I want to say there are a lot of mouth breathers in San Bernadino and Riverside...

Well, PG&E did try to spin this as evil government wasting tax payers dollars without permission.

Still, the fact that they spent almost 50 million on this prop and the opponents spent a little over 101 thousand and they still lost (the 50 million spenders - PG&E) is absolutely hilarious.

Wish the same could have been said for Whitman and Fiorina who absolutely bought their elections yesterday.

Wish the same could have been said for Whitman and Fiorina who absolutely bought their elections yesterday.

Whitman is an interesting woman. I don't know too much about her politics, but the fact that she took a small, private company and turned it into one of the world's biggest companies in a matter of a few years is impressive. It's more impressive than doing this....

arnold-schwarzenegger-the-terminator.jpg

buying an election? like that doesn't happen all the time. The Dems in California would get nowhere w/o their dollars from the Unions presently bankrupting the state.

One thing I do hate is how unclear the language and the advertising is regarding the propositions they put on the ballot. They bank on people just using a 30 second sound byte to form an opinion on an issue. Guess it works...

buying an election? like that doesn't happen all the time. The Dems in California would get nowhere w/o their dollars from the Unions presently bankrupting the state.

One thing I do hate is how unclear the language and the advertising is regarding the propositions they put on the ballot. They bank on people just using a 30 second sound byte to form an opinion on an issue. Guess it works...

The GOP has less than 31% representation on the voting rolls in California.

Sorry, but the Dems don't have to spend much to continue to represent the state with a majority.

As for your claim that the unions are bankrupting the state - I will agree to disagree with you on that.

It's nice to see the bad guys lose these things once in a while.

Endless propositions/referendums at the state level... the Founding Fathers' wariness of the people's year-to-year-capricious will was timelessly accurate.

Well, PG&E did try to spin this as evil government wasting tax payers dollars without permission.

Still, the fact that they spent almost 50 million on this prop and the opponents spent a little over 101 thousand and they still lost (the 50 million spenders - PG&E) is absolutely hilarious.

It would be nice if PG&E had spent that money doing things like, you know, infrastructure.:(

Did you read about the SC primary?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/08599199527200

Also in the Palmetto State, a virtual unknown named Alvin Greene won the Democratic primary to take on Senator Jim DeMint with 59% of the vote over Vic Rawl, a former judge and legislator and the Establishment pick. Greene, an unemployed veteran, spent next to no money, had no website and was hardly seen since he filed to run.

That proposition was totally dishonest. They called it the "taypayers right to vote" act but it really was the exact opposite. I'm happy (and shocked) that it failed.

looking at the returns I want to say there are a lot of mouth breathers in San Bernadino and Riverside...

Ya think? :laugh:

Whitman is an interesting woman. I don't know too much about her politics, but the fact that she took a small, private company and turned it into one of the world's biggest companies in a matter of a few years is impressive.

Shemay be an impressive woman, but she has run a downright repulsive campaign so far. Her fellow Republican Poisner is an honorable man who got treated like absolute dog doo in 100 million dollars worth of attack ads.

The real tragedy was that Carly Fiorino beat Tom Campbell for the GOP Senate nomination. Campbell is just the kind of pragmatic, fiscally responsible GOP candidate that I could have voted for. Oh well.

The real tragedy was that Carly Fiorino beat Tom Campbell for the GOP Senate nomination. Campbell is just the kind of pragmatic, fiscally responsible GOP candidate that I could have voted for. Oh well.

Recent polling has Boxer at 3 to 1 votes amongst women voters. If the trend continues, Fiorino might get slammed.

The GOP has less than 31% representation on the voting rolls in California.

Sorry, but the Dems don't have to spend much to continue to represent the state with a majority.

As for your claim that the unions are bankrupting the state - I will agree to disagree with you on that.

Hmmm. Well, that 31% number is a lot lower than the national average, which is the much larger... erm... 31%.

:silly:

(I know, I know, you could be referencing a different kind of data. That number just jumped out at me because party identification is in the low- to mid-thirties for both parties. The largest partisan ID in America is actually independent, which has been just around 40 for a while now.)

Hmmm. Well, that 31% number is a lot lower than the national average, which is the much larger... erm... 31%.

:silly:

(I know, I know, you could be referencing a different kind of data. That number just jumped out at me because party identification is in the low- to mid-thirties for both parties. The largest partisan ID in America is actually independent, which has been just around 40 for a while now.)

You have to register as Dem, Rep, or Independent (decline to state) here in California (no open primaries).

I was referencing registered voters.

30.8% are registered as GOP in Ca.

44.5% are registered as Dems in Ca.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/the-public-eye/2010/06/california-republican-party-continues-to-lose-members.html

You have to register as Dem, Rep, or Independent (decline to state) here in California (no open primaries).

I was referencing registered voters.

30.8% are registered as GOP in Ca.

44.5% are registered as Dems in Ca.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/the-public-eye/2010/06/california-republican-party-continues-to-lose-members.html

Yeah, I figured it was something like that. Never liked closed primaries.

Did you read about the SC primary?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/08599199527200

Also in the Palmetto State, a virtual unknown named Alvin Greene won the Democratic primary to take on Senator Jim DeMint with 59% of the vote over Vic Rawl, a former judge and legislator and the Establishment pick. Greene, an unemployed veteran, spent next to no money, had no website and was hardly seen since he filed to run.

brilliant move by the gop in south carolina. demint was a shoo-in and enough republicans voted for a dem who hasn't been seen at all.

:ols:

Where does it say there is a Constitutional right to a primary? As far as I know, no where. I was trying to figure out the implications, as I thought it would benefit the major parties. Consider the CA governor's race. If we had the open primary system Brown would've had to spend some money to compete, in order to get 2nd. This seems like it will force the political parties to burn a lot of money, or candidates to burn a lot of money themselves for the primaries. I like it, however it does seem like they will simply be able to shut out 3rd parties.

Archived