Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pain in shoulder blade area?

Iced Coffee

So ever since friday morning, out of nowhere I've had this at times annoying and at times sharp pain in my shoulder blade area which at times stretches toward my middle upper back.

I went to see a doc and he basically said take advil (like I didn't know that already), but it doesn't reduce the uncomfortable feeling.:beatdeadhorse:

I feel like if only I could just crack/stretch it everthing would be fine :mad:

I read online and the only thing I see is pinched nerves.. but there were talks of numbness which I don't have.

At a complete loss here, any advice?

Is it painful to turn your head?

I had something similar from sleeping in an awkward position. A coworker also had the same thing. The doctor gave me the same advice; take some anti-inflammatories and watch how you sleep. She also said if it hurts to turn your head then don't turn it. :ols:

As much as it may suck, you may not have much choice but to just take the NSAIDS and give it time (there is no quick fix as the area is inflamed and needs time for the inflammation to subside, without reaggravation)

I have a nagging shoulder injury from weight lifting, it comes and goes and I keep working out through it, the more you stretch and more you get blood in that area the better it feels so I suggest you stretch it out... if it doesnt get better then see another doctor.

Is it painful to turn your head?

I had something similar from sleeping in an awkward position. A coworker also had the same thing. The doctor gave me the same advice; take some anti-inflammatories and watch how you sleep. She also said if it hurts to turn your head then don't turn it. :ols:

As much as it may suck, you may not have much choice but to just take the NSAIDS and give it time (there is no quick fix as the area is inflammed and needs time for the inflammation to subside, without reaggravation)

Just sitting here is uncomfortable, but when i turn my head/move it the pain shoots to my middle back. Same thing goes for picking stuff up etc.

and to think i am only 20 :ols::(

Is your breathing fine?

Breathing wise i am fine, just accentuates the pain

I have a nagging shoulder injury from weight lifting, it comes and goes and I keep working out through it, the more you stretch and more you get blood in that area the better it feels so I suggest you stretch it out... if it doesnt get better then see another doctor.

I am going to go to the gym after work and stretch in the sauna hopefully it helps.

I had an issue like that awhile back, doc still wasn't sure if it was from lifting or sports, but the muscle had overlapped my shoulder blade. It hurt in my shoulder blade, shoulder, and when I did bench it hurt in the front of my shoulder to the point I had to slow down on lifting. The numbness only occurred if I had my arm stretched out for too long, like when you are sleeping and put your arm under your pillow or if you are sitting on a bench and put your arm along the top of the bench.

Went to the chiropractor and they took care of it, deep tissue till the muscle relaxed. They also had me do a bunch of stretching before and after any type of workout.

I had a pain stretching across my shoulder and up to the base of my neck. Come to find out, it was due to working on a keyboard and not stretching or working it out. A hot soak in the tub and some advil or flexxerol would alleviate the condition.

Now, I tend to try and get up, move around and stretch out every hour so the problem does not reoccur. And to date, I have been pretty lucky to be pain free.

From the sound of it, I wonder if it's not a knotted muscle right at the base of your shoulder blade and along your spine. The human body and it's musculature system is amazing.

Here's a link to see the muscles of the body. My issue was with the latissmus dorsi.

http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/S/skeletal_muscle_groups.html

I've had a nagging pain between my shoulder blade and backbone on one side kinda feels like a pulled or overworked muscle. Had it for 10 years...gets aggravated if I lay in certain positions but laying flat with arms to side seems to be best. I blame it on an aggravated nerve...my neck has been grinding when I turn my head since I was in my 20's and I think it has degraded enough that it is starting to irritate nerves. Funny but my neck doesn't hurt at all.

I had the same type of pain for a few years. Ended up being herniated disks in my neck and arthritis that was crushing the nerves that go to your arms. Two surgeries and a ton of pain later and it's awesome. Good luck.

Oh and BTW...I initially went to a chiropractor who took x-rays and said my spine was fine. Every time he would crack my neck it felt like sticking a fork in an electrical outlet. Went to an orthopedic doc who ordered the MRI. My spinal cord was oval instead of round and the nerves going to my arms were crushed flat. Buyer beware when going to a chiropractor.

Archived