Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Might the O-line struggles be due to the 3-4 alignment

Cskin

I just read the game recap on Redskins.com and something struck me as odd. Shottensomething intimated that they did absolutely no game planning in regards to the N.E. defense. I'm not a defensive guru, but I am aware that the two schemes are quite different and that the 3-4 can cause quite a bit of problems when a team is unfamiliar facing it.

My "concern" is, how can Marty evaluate a starting offensive line when he sends them out there with limited, if any, blocking assignments designed to combat the complexities of the 3-4 alignment? Does that not seem odd?

Just how many 3-4 defenses will we face this year? Anybody aware of a team using it other than the Steelers? I've drawn a blank here.

Finally, from the same article, it is intimated that the skins had begun planning for the Chargers even before the Pats game. Now...that's a good sign. And...add another week or so of practice, some bodies getting healthy, and we might just see a vast improvement over the "jail break" that occured last night.

regardless of what defense you are playing, when you have a replacement left tackle out there and a rookie starting at another spot on the line, you don't leave the line uncovered by sending out the tight ends and backs on third downs.

at least if you don't want your quarterback to get killed. smile.gif

bulldog is right.

Now, when the line is healthy, they had better not make excuses about the 3-4. That is a simply too common of a base defense to cause confusion in an NFL caliber starting O-line.

------------------

"Loosen up, Sandy baby. You're just too damn tight!" - John Riggins to Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor

the 3-4 is actually a dinosaur in the NFL. Even the Bills have moved away from it.

The Redskins proved that you could defeat the 3-4 by using motion to get the linebackers out of position and then running the ball between the tackles right at the defense.

The Skins in the early 1980's gutted a number of 3-4 defenses on the way to Riggo's 100 yard afternoons.

Based on what I've seen this preseason, it hasn't much mattered whatalignment the defenses have been in. They could throw anything at us from a 7-0 to an 0-7 ... and if all 7 (and usually 1 or 2 more) are coming after the QB on every play, and we're trying to pick them up with 5 OL's and a grin-and-duck block by KJ Carter ... well, do the math.

One assumes, now that both QB's have mercifully survived the onslaught while we "looked at people," that from time to time we'll actually give the 5-and-a-prayer scheme a rest, and keep in help as needed. Or maybe roll Jeff away from the current ... or maybe throw a slant or out in 1-2 seconds, rather than a deep out in 3-5. YOu know, that kind of thing.

One hopes, anyway.

Beyond the 3-4 what worries me is that it might not only be the players. Yeah, some of them are just not NFL material, but surely not ALL of them. I'm starting to wonder if it's not the OL coaching or a lack thereof. I don't know too much about Pendry's coaching experience but I think he was an offensive coord. in the past wasn't he ?Keeping Grimm might have been a good idea.

It's too hard to find true nose tackles these days for the 3-4 set, and most teams are currently hot for the 4-3 with monster DTs and man CBs.

Pettitbon showed that you can mix a 3-4 into a game situationally for great results, but he had a full palette of player types to play with, a luxury that's become almost unheard of in these cap besmirched times.

As for Marty, I think Art has it right. Marty's calling plays to evaluate his personnel, not counter what the opponent is doing. John Keim thought that Marty gameplanned more for games 2 and 3, and just made evaluation calls for games 1 and 4.

So wondering how we would do against a 3-4 (or any other type of defense for that matter) is still an open question, because each team has a different flavor of the base sets, made even more unique by their personnel.

Until we see the results of a week of preparation, a gameplan, and a some player continuity in the different units, then we can only guess.

I agree with Om. I have watched all the games closely. The line has struggled regardless of defensive alignment. Now I am not saying the line is bad. I think much of it has to do with cohesion. Marty has played his cards the way he did for a reason. He wants to know who can play at the level he requires. The only way to do that is play different players. But, a good plan it may be, but we can expect problems for the first three weeks until the lineman adjust and undertsand each players techniques.

------------------

Please visit my new Skins site, Mark's Redskins Net. Vote in my latest Skins poll.

www.geocities.com/mbuterba/redskins.htm

You are right, Marty made a conscious decision. Rather than set a starting five (yes, I believe he had indications in minicamp and training camp who the likely starters were) and work on getting them reps together with the backups fighting it out on the periphery to fill the #7-9 spots, Marty decided instead that his priority was finding his 9 best linemen FIRST and then working in his starters at the end of camp and the games to get them time together.

The move backfired because Coleman and then Samuels got hurt and the younger players failed to step up and seize even the top backup roles.

By Game 4, the team was just struggling to get a lineup out there that could execute even basic plays effectively.

We will see whether it was a mistake to extend the competition for all 9 spots at the cost of getting more work in for the likely top 5.

I am no raving football genius but I could have listed after Game 2 a lineup of Samuels, Jansen, Raymer, Campbell and the newly signed Szott.

What changed in the last 2 games? Beyond the Samuels injury we found out that Fletcher, Moore and other youngsters weren't ready to play in the NFL.

And it was a painful lesson for the backs and quarterback, that's for sure.

A good offensive line makes adjustments during the game to combat things, especially a 3-4 defense. The problem is, right now this is NOT a good offensive line. I think it's going to take 2-3 weeks for this line to come together and get on the same page, especially when we'll be lining up a group opening day that has yet to play together.

Archived