Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

College 7's(Rugby) National Championship

GoSkins561

The National Championship for college 7's is coming on soon. It's rare to see rugby on TV, but it's even more rare to see 7's on TV. 7's is similar to rugby except it usually excludes the bigger players that lack speed.

If anyone is interested in watching a very high speed (no fat asses ;) ) game of rugby with lots of big high speed hits turn it on NBC.

The National Championship for college 7's is coming on soon. It's rare to see rugby on TV, but it's even more rare to see 7's on TV. 7's is similar to rugby except it usually excludes the bigger players that lack speed.

If anyone is interested in watching a very high speed (no fat asses ;) ) game of rugby with lots of big high speed hits turn it on NBC.

It's quite an interesting spectacle actually. You find the Fijians and Togans and Samoans all have a good teams because they have a great blend of size and speed.

Our fly half in college(15's) played for Atlantis and eventually the USA 7's. He was built perfectly for 7's.

Ill never forget this tiny winger(5'6 150lbs) I use to play against in 7's, he was deadly if you got the ball out to him quickly. One of the fastest people I have ever seen.

Rugby is fun to watch. I've been watching here and there the past two days. Always watched it when I had Setanta. This is actually more interesting than the top level rugby because those guys don't make too many errors. These games on NBC they tend to screw up and makes for open, interesting play. The pro games seem to have too many stoppages for me.

I had the chance to watch some rugby when I was down in Australia and NZ a few weeks ago...it was pretty cool. I was reminded a bit of football, except you can't forward pass, only lateral

You got to see some of thr best, especially if you got a chabce to see the All Blacks.

The Championship was about as exciting as it could get. I can see where traditionalists would be less than thrilled about 7s, but it certainly looks fun to play and is easy to follow. It will be interesting to see if the US can get a quality side going by 2016.

Rugby 7's will be an olympic sport this coming summer games. The USA sevens teams are compeditive globally with the best sevens teams in the world. This is because the game of 7's is more about athletism and less about teamwork, knowledge of the game, or team work; relative to 15's the normal number of players on the field during a rugby match.

Anyway telivising the college 7's was a first crack at trying to get the country more knowledgeable about a new olympic sport, some of the college players will likely be playing in the olympics soon.

Rugby 7's will be an olympic sport this coming summer games. The USA sevens teams are compeditive globally with the best sevens teams in the world. This is because the game of 7's is more about athletism and less about teamwork, knowledge of the game, or team work; relative to 15's the normal number of players on the field during a rugby match.

Anyway telivising the college 7's was a first crack at trying to get the country more knowledgeable about a new olympic sport, some of the college players will likely be playing in the olympics soon.

USA 7's barely cracks the top 10 in 7's, even though we are the defending champs in the Olympics.

Saw part of it yesterday. What is the difference between 7's,Rugby league and Rugby Union?

There are hundreds of Rugby Unions around the world, for instance, one of the local unions for college is called the Potomac Rugby Union. This union makes up a group of teams that create a league, back when I played the PRU included Salisbury, Navy, Frostburg, Mt. St. Marys, St. Marys, Johns Hopkins, UMBC, George Washington University and a few others. Those teams can have a 7's squad, and they would still fall under the same union.

JMS,7's relies on as much team work as any other sport, if your team mates are not there to support you by winning rucks and keeping the ball, your team will never win. I will agree with you when it comes to athleticism since the field is essentially wide open compared to 15's.

I'm not a big fan of sevens. There are bursts of excitement and mistakes but it lacks so much compared to the full game.

Yeah, same here.

As an old hooker (OOC thread anyone :laugh: ) I enjoy watching the complete game, including the pack - not just the fancy-dancey backs. :pfft:

Saw part of it yesterday. What is the difference between 7's,Rugby league and Rugby Union?

7's is a modified form of Rugby Union (which has 15 players). In sevens five of the forward positions (second rows, wing forwards and #8) and three of the backs (one center, one wing and the full back) are removed. As a result, the game often turns into something resembling a game of football after time expires with lots of laterals and broken play.

Rugby League involves 13 per side and different rules regarding possession (ball is turned over after six tackles). It's popular mainly in the north of England, New Zealand, Australia, Papua New Guinea, Wales but is increasing in popularity in other countries.

I don't have any interest in Rugby league (so I could be making this up) but I think Rugby Union is played in more countries.

There are hundreds of Rugby Unions around the world, for instance, one of the local unions for college is called the Potomac Rugby Union. This union makes up a group of teams that create a league, back when I played the PRU included Salisbury, Navy, Frostburg, Mt. St. Marys, St. Marys, Johns Hopkins, UMBC, George Washington University and a few others. Those teams can have a 7's squad, and they would still fall under the same union.

Rugby League is a different code to Rugby Union.

I always thought Rugby Union is a general term, right?

Anyone that has ever played registered with a Rugby Union as more of a local governing body of the various leagues.

I have seen some Rugby league, it's a very watered down version of 15's, if it's what I'm thinking of. I watched it once and thought, wth is this nonsense.

I use to play 7's when I was home for summer with a local mens club. It's always held in a tournament format since the games are only 14 minutes long. Lots of good times and playing all day in the dead heat of summer.

I always thought Rugby Union is a general term, right?

Anyone that has ever played registered with a Rugby Union as more of a local governing body of the various leagues.

I have seen some Rugby league, it's a very watered down version of 15's, if it's what I'm thinking of. I watched it once and thought, wth is this nonsense.

Rugby League and Rugby Union are two different sets of rules. Proponents of League would argue that it's more entertaining. In some respects League is like American Football in that when a player is tackled and goes to ground, play is dead and they quickly restart - theres no ruck or maul. Kicking for position which is very common in Union only happens in League if they are about to turn over possession on the sixth tackle.

Rugby League and Rugby Union are two different sets of rules. Proponents of League would argue that it's more entertaining. In some respects League is like American Football in that when a player is tackled and goes to ground, play is dead and they quickly restart - theres no ruck or maul. Kicking for position which is very common in Union only happens in League if they are about to turn over possession on the sixth tackle.

Yep, Rugby league is what I saw and I turned it off, they shouldn't even call it Rugby.

Yep, Rugby league is what I saw and I turned it off, they shouldn't even call it Rugby.

It has a lot of similarities to seven's :ols:

At least where I came from when someone talked of 'rugby' they meant rugby union. While 'league' = rugby league.

Archived