Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PC Buying help

IONTOP

Alright I've had this laptop for 4 years and it's really starting to lag behind in the speed department, I've had my PC since '04 and it's a single core processor with a 256mb video card...

I found this today on NewEgg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229176R

It seems like a REALLY good deal for a computer that will last me for 4 or 5 years with no upgrades, and will be able to accept those upgrades when the time comes...

Anyone have any advice? Obviously this is just about top of the line. See anything that concerns you?

I'd look at the reviews for other CyberPowerPC systems on Newegg to get a better feel for what you may be dealing with. Also be aware that Newegg has a limited return policy for open box items.

Oh and water cooling can be a GIGANTIC pain in the ass. If I were you I'd probably reconsider. You could probably put something together yourself at a similar price/performance margin.

I'd look at the reviews for other CyberPowerPC systems on Newegg to get a better feel for what you may be dealing with. Also be aware that Newegg has a limited return policy for open box items.

Oh and water cooling can be a GIGANTIC pain in the ass. If I were you I'd probably reconsider. You could probably put something together yourself at a similar price/performance margin.

Putting one together yourself used to be fun, but now its just time consuming. This way he gets what he wants, and doesn't have to put any work into it. The closest thing in price at most other stores is about a $200 jump. Open box or not any computer related issue is relatively easy to fix, as long as you have a little know how, plus I've seen plenty people get their computer fix here just by posting their problem

Yeah definitely using for gaming...

Not gonna hate on the PC gaming, just more of a console gamer myself. Only reason I asked is I've seen so many people straight up buy a top of the line desktop for emails and internet browsing....my wife tried to do this:saber:! Got her a real nice laptop, $400, more than capable of handling everything she needs. Enjoy the gaming though, this looks like a freak of a machine!

Can you explain what water cooling is? I know nothing about it... I'll google it as well...

Can you explain what water cooling is? I know nothing about it... I'll google it as well...

Instead of a fan and air cooling the chip, a liquid system removes the heat. Think of the difference between and air cooled 2 stroke motorcycle and a 4 stroke liquid cooled one. It adds a whole other system to break down.

Instead of a fan and air cooling the chip, a liquid system removes the heat. Think of the difference between and air cooled 2 stroke motorcycle and a 4 stroke liquid cooled one. It adds a whole other system to break down.

Also if you get a leak with the water cooling...kiss your computer goodbye, I would think :pfft:

In layman's terms... instead of using fans to cool computer hardware, liquid is pumped through tubes which attach to individual components. It's a much more efficient means of exchanging heat and keeping a system cool (which is ideal for overclockers) but it may require you to be more hands on than you'd like to. It's a slightly more complex system than just using traditional fan cooling and, as a general rule, complexity often represents more points of/opportunities for failure.

You have to make sure the liquid levels in the system don't drop and that there are no leaks, otherwise you're at risk to fry your PC. You also have to be very aware of what you're putting in the cooling system. Tap water and de-ionized water will gradually cause corrosion so it's usually wise to use regular distilled water and possibly some other additives. Absolutely make sure to do your homework before buying in if you still want to go in this direction.

I think I've heard bad things about CyberpowerPC, but I can't say for sure. There's probably several companies that have similar names. I'd definitely look up reviews of the company. I'd also look up prices for each component to see if it's actually a good deal.

Also if you get a leak with the water cooling...kiss your computer goodbye, I would think :pfft:

I'm not sure the liquid they use is as terrible for a computer as water, but I'm sure leaks can bring major problems nonetheless.

I'm not sure the liquid they use is as terrible for a computer as water, but I'm sure leaks can bring major problems nonetheless.

The liquid they use is usually water :pfft:

You're definitely right, though. A leak isn't the end of the world but it's definitely something you want to be cautious about.

I think I've heard bad things about CyberpowerPC, but I can't say for sure. There's probably several companies that have similar names. I'd definitely look up reviews of the company. I'd also look up prices for each component to see if it's actually a good deal.

I reviewed them and it seems that they also sell at Wal-Mart. I know from working there that when you buy Wal-Mart electronics, they are inferior quality so I can't really take the comments to heart... But I've decided to use the "return policy" from NewEgg if it's not what I want or doesn't work like I want... The policy seems good... I can return it, but can't trade it for another one... The most I'm worried about is said "DOA" computer. And if NewEgg has tested it, I'm fine with that...

Archived