Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Some new pics of the oil spill

EBoz

I was listening to NPR the other day and they were talking about how Russia had dealt with oil spills of this nature in the past....by using explosives to implode the well on itself in a controlled demolition, using gravity as you aide to cap the leak and apparently it's a very successful method. When asked why this isn't being considered in the Gulf the basic response was because BP is being allowed to control the clean up efforts and if they do that, they won't be able to extract anymore oil from the well in the future or collect any of the spilling oil. Also, if they can cap it with the well intact they're more likely to be allowed to go back whereas if they blow up it on itself convincing the gov't to allow them to drill there again will be much more difficult. I hope this isn't what it sounded like when I heard it but somehow I'll bet it is.

I was listening to NPR the other day and they were talking about how Russia had dealt with oil spills of this nature in the past....by using explosives to implode the well on itself in a controlled demolition, using gravity as you aide to cap the leak and apparently it's a very successful method. When asked why this isn't being considered in the Gulf the basic response was because BP is being allowed to control the clean up efforts and if they do that, they won't be able to extract anymore oil from the well in the future or collect any of the spilling oil. Also, if they can cap it with the well intact they're more likely to be allowed to go back whereas if they blow up it on itself convincing the gov't to allow them to drill there again will be much more difficult. I hope this isn't what it sounded like when I heard it but somehow I'll bet it is.

I'm sure that's a part of it. But there's also the risk of making it an even bigger problem, depending on the make up of the sea floor above the well.

Man, how depressing.

These companies need to make sure they take steps to ensure that something of this magnitude never happens again. All these animals dying and suffering with no end in sight.

I agree...but how do you really test your plans to avoid these types of events. Ideally, this would never happen and, when it does there would be a quick/easy way to fix it. But the truth is, there is virtually no way to know how to fix something like this because there is no adequate test a company can execute.

I agree...but how do you really test your plans to avoid these types of events. Ideally, this would never happen and, when it does there would be a quick/easy way to fix it. But the truth is, there is virtually no way to know how to fix something like this because there is no adequate test a company can execute.

They are drilling at depths that they are not prepared to deal with if something goes wrong. There are shallow water ways to deal with these types of problems. Drilling at that depth just should not be allowed with the lack of technology available to deal with catastrophic failures.

They are drilling at depths that they are not prepared to deal with if something goes wrong. There are shallow water ways to deal with these types of problems. Drilling at that depth just should not be allowed with the lack of technology available to deal with catastrophic failures.

I'm not very knowledgeable about this (obviously). I have no issues with restricting where they can drill in order to ensure that they are able to "clean up any mess" they might encounter.

BP admitted they weren't ready for a worst case scenario. Seems to me that if you're drilling at that depth, you need to be a little better prepared for a worst case scenario. Otherwise you end up with this cluster F.

OMG, I will never ever buy BP gas again, not that I did very often to begin with, but that just makes me want to be sick :(

You know they sell gas to other companies?

Perhaps not buying gas at all is safer.

Which ones? They cant sell to all of them

That would depend on who buys their crude on the exchange or the refined products...and yes they certainly can sell to all of them....tis a commodity

but if ya wish to go beyond hurting the independent gas station owners(BP sold out almost all it's stations in 08) perhaps this site will help

http://boycottbp.org/what

Archived