Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

13 month Calendar

Zguy28

So, I'm working on my family budget and I've been thinking about this question for a while: why aren't there 13 months in the calendar, each with 28 days, and an extra day thrown in somewhere?

Wouldn't that make budgeting a lot easier? When I get paid near the end of a month, it really messes things up.

I actually found this link to somebody proposing the same thing back in the 1930's: http://personal.ecu.edu/mccartyr/13-month.htm

Apparently the 4th of July holiday was the killer of the idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Fixed_Calendar

For the superstitious, a disadvantage to this format is that every month includes a Friday the 13th, and this date occurs thirteen times every year.

Thirteen, being prime, is not evenly divisible, putting all activities currently done on a quarterly basis out of alignment with the months.

Several religious groups oppose any interruption of the seven-weekday sequence.

I was waiting for that.

It makes sense logically' date=' of course.

Something to ponder. On a thirty year mortgage, you would basically be taking 3 years right off the top if you paid 13 times a year instead of 12 - certainly more than that, but I can't do the voodoo interest.[/quote']

I do that already. I have my 1/2 motrgage taken out bi-weekly. This results in 26 1/2 payments or 13 monthly payments. This takes roughly 6 years off my loan.

There you go.

I'm on board. Let's do this!

(Even though BB claims that we will all fall into a black hole if we try).

You could just pay an extra $100-$200/month over what you are required to, and get the same result. That way you also don't have those two killer months where you are paying 1.5 mortgage payments

You could just pay an extra $100-$200/month over what you are required to, and get the same result. That way you also don't have those two killer months where you are paying 1.5 mortgage payments

It's not killer when you have your bill payments set up to a bi-weekly payment plan. I am ALWAYS early on all of my payments and I make the extra payments without even thinking about it.

It's not killer when you have your bill payments set up to a bi-weekly payment plan. I am ALWAYS early on all of my payments and I make the extra payments without even thinking about it.

I was talking more about salary. If you're being paid the same amount, but suddenly have to pay an extra 50% on the mortgage this month, I could see that being a problem for some.

Ok' date=' Mr. Wizard.

A day would still be 24 hours.

A year would still be 365 days.

What the **** does the moon and its 27.32 day cycle around the Earth have to do with anything?

(If you are Mayan, I apologize in advance).[/quote']

This one had me floored, everyone in my office thinks I am nuts for LOLing.

I guess I wish I was that organized.

My wife and I have been doing family budgeting lately, necessitated by two kids and increasing quantities of questions about personal savings vs. retirement savings vs. college savings vs. other investments, etc.

Let me just say, getting that basic budget done feels GREAT. It answers so many day-to-day questions about "what should we do with this or that." Suddenly I have my feet beneath me again.

It's the most boring thing aside from living wills and insurance shopping, but I feel like a totally different person now that basic budgeting is done and known. Highly recommended.

Archived