Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: Catching up with Casey Rabach

themurf

rabach060410.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

When it comes to personality, offensive linemen are typically pretty vanilla. While big in stature, many linemen throughout the league simply prefer to fly under the radar and let their play do the talking.

Thankfully, that’s not the case with Casey Rabach.

Not only is the Washington Redskins center willing to be accountable and stand up in front of the media week in and week out during a 4-12 season, but he’s also one of the go-to guys when you’re looking for a light-hearted interview with a player who never takes himself too seriously.

We caught up with the 32-year-old earlier this week, if for no other reason than to see why a man who was completely drenched in sweat after a grueling two-hour “voluntary” June workout looked like there wasn’t any other place he’d rather be.

“This time of year is always fun,” Rabach said. “It’s nice to see all the guys out here working so hard. That’s one thing that is reassuring – seeing all of these guys out here every day busting their butts and working hard for a guy who has proven to be a winner in this league. Hopefully good things will happen because of that.”

Okay, let’s not beat around the bush. Are you going to have an RV out in front of Redskins Park this year or not?

(Laughs.) “We’ll have to see,” he said. “We put a bulletin up last year to rent one, but that never came through. I guess it all depends on how Mike Shanahan runs his camp. I’m not sure if we’ll do it yet.”

He’s made it clear that he doesn’t want people taking up multiple parking spaces, so as long as you’re not doing that you should be good to go, right?

“Yeah, we might have to rent some space across the street or something,” Rabach said.

Last season the offensive line took a ton of criticism. What have you seen so far this offseason to make you think things will be better this year?

“First and foremost, the guys who started these minicamps and OTAs are still there,” he said. “That’s huge because one of the biggest downfalls we had last year was the number of injuries that forced guys in and out of the lineup. If we can stay healthy, that’s huge. If we can do that, I think we’ll be a pretty decent offensive line.

“The scheme is really going to help us this year,” he continued. “The new coaches, I think, will help us this year. And obviously, the new guys we’ve added will help us out as well. Guys like Artis [Hicks], Trent [Williams] and whoever else.”

If we’re being honest, it’s virtually impossible for slugs like us to evaluate offensive linemen when you guys are running no-contact drills in shorts. What have you seen from a guy like Artis Hicks since he joined the team?

Click here for the full article.

When it comes to personality, offensive linemen are typically pretty vanilla. While big in stature, many linemen throughout the league simply prefer to fly under the radar and let their play do the talking.

Thankfully, that’s not the case with Casey Rabach.Click here for the full article.

Rabach reminds me a lot of another under rated center by the name of Bostic. But who is Rabach's legitimate backup at Center?

=angel2;7563009]Rabach reminds me a lot of another under rated center by the name of Bostic[/b]. But who is Rabach's legitimate backup at Center?

what the heck are you smoking? IMO, Rabach should have been let go. has to be bottom 5 in regards to starting centers. Bostic is border line hall of famer

Rabach reminds me a lot of another under rated center by the name of Bostic. But who is Rabach's legitimate backup at Center?

I don't think that I've read a more inaccurate analysis of a player than this.

Rabach is absolutely terrible and easily the worst part of this line. He can do blocking assignments, sure, but how well do those work out? Campbell spent his entire career here with Rabach being thrown into his face like a rag doll. Cutting Rabach and getting a REAL center would have made me very happy.

He seems like a nice guy, but he's horrible and I can't wait until he is replaced. Even a tackling dummy wouldn't get knocked back as consistently as Rabach does.

Rabach is absolutely terrible and easily the worst part of this line. He can do blocking assignments, sure, but how well do those work out? Campbell spent his entire career here with Rabach being thrown into his face like a rag doll. Cutting Rabach and getting a REAL center would have made me very happy.

He seems like a nice guy, but he's horrible and I can't wait until he is replaced. Even a tackling dummy wouldn't get knocked back as consistently as Rabach does.

My stance is to wait and see if Shanahan's zone blocking scheme helps put some of these guys in a better position to succeed. He's earned a reputation for his offensive lines in Denver and I'm hopeful that continues in D.C.

Honestly, the offensive line was so bad last year it was simply impossible to replaced everyone in one offseason. Bringing in players with athleticism like Artis Hicks and Trent Williams is a nice start. Now we'll see if the line can give McNabb more time than it did for Campbell last season. If not, you'll likely get your wish.

Rabach is a good guy who I think will do well under the new scheme. I met him for a brief minute after the Skins/Ravens game a couple years ago. My father in law has front row seats near the Ravens tunnel. Rabach stopped by and gave me his game gloves. It is interesting to see how he cuts some of the fingers off and tapes some them together.

My stance is to wait and see if Shanahan's zone blocking scheme helps put some of these guys in a better position to succeed. He's earned a reputation for his offensive lines in Denver and I'm hopeful that continues in D.C.

Honestly, the offensive line was so bad last year it was simply impossible to replaced everyone in one offseason. Bringing in players with athleticism like Artis Hicks and Trent Williams is a nice start. Now we'll see if the line can give McNabb more time than it did for Campbell last season. If not, you'll likely get your wish.

I agree with this. I've been underwhelmed by Rabach since sometime in 2008 for sure. However, he gives me the impression (I'm no expert, obviously) that he might fit better in this scheme since he's smaller and, I assume, more capable of moving around than standing in the trenches.

I was hoping we'd upgrade the C position, but I'm willing to see if he can thrive in this scheme.

For me this was the best part of the article:

“We all come to work every single day – offense, defense and special teams – and we’re working our butts off. I think that’s going to pay huge dividends down the road. We’re putting the work in and we’re going to keep on pushing forward.”

After we began the 2-6 slide two seasons ago, I got the sense that the guys weren't working their butts off at all. Just seeing that aspect change (and continue) is going to be enough for me this season, regardless of record.

I was wanting Rabach replacing but now, with Shanahan, I'm happy to wait a season.

His play dropped off when he had to get his butt higher for JC. Given OL play is decided by leverage I think another season, given our other needs, isn't a bad thing at all. The knock on Rabach was he was too light to be a mauler but he was quite fast. Our new OL scheme was designed for guys like this, though Trent is gonna show big and fast > small and fast but he also shows how much more big and fast costs than small and fast - 4th overall should be special regardless of the position they play.

There's a large FA class next year and we will have a ton of cap room and a fan signs the checks. Rome wasn't built in a day and all that.

All this ^ being said with the ever increasing numbers of large NTs we need a really big, really fast body along with the brain to match to line up opposite them. Of course that type of player is hard to get though at least we wouldn't need a 4th overall to get it done.

Thanks Murph, appreciate your talent and effort.

I can compromise with that. I do think that Rabach was atrocious in 2008, too, and that's with the best offensive line coach to coach the game. He was simply shoved back into Campbell's face way too often. I don't know how coaching or scheme can change that, but maybe that's why I'm on ES and not the sidelines.

And I don't want to get rid of Rabach if he can play well. I like good people getting an extra shot. However, if he's the same as he was last year, then I'll be looking for us to get a center in the second.

Rabach is a good guy who I think will do well under the new scheme. I met him for a brief minute after the Skins/Ravens game a couple years ago. My father in law has front row seats near the Ravens tunnel. Rabach stopped by and gave me his game gloves. It is interesting to see how he cuts some of the fingers off and tapes some them together.
First of all good stuff murf.:applause:

With regards to the quote, I don't understand why exactly you think that Rabach "will do well under the new scheme". He really does seem to be a nice enough and layed back type of guy, but that just doesn't equate to him being what our OL needs at the C position.

We have watched players like Jay Ratliff absolutely destroy and abuse Rabach for more than a couple of years now. So, it's just a little hard for me to believe that a change in blocking scheme is going to keep Rabach from getting tossed aside like a sock by players who out weigh him anywhere from 20 to 30lbs.

BTW I used Ratliff as an example simply because IMO he abuses Rabach so blatantly and he does it twice a year.:(

And that analysis is very similar to the one that Bostic got often.

The article should be retitled, "Catching Up with Casey Rabach, and Then Throwing Him Aside".

"many linemen throughout the league simply prefer to fly under the radar and let their play do the talking. Thankfully, that’s not the case with Casey Rabach." True, no one has ever accused Rabach, at least not the past two seasons, of letting his play do the talking lol...

Please...Is this not the same dude that had like 4 false starts last year against the Lions including two in a row? And it is not like they were marginal calls - even the 'skins booth was calling it before the ref's made the announcement.

Definitely the spot on the line that will be tested.

I mean, if you really want to put your neck out there for Rabach and say that he's in any way halfway decent, let alone in the same league as a Hall-Of-Fame-worthy center, then go for it.

He's absolutely terrible, and you can make the same, "Oh, we heard about other players who weren't good on teams and then had great careers" argument all day long about anyone, but it's not happening here.

And yes, I hope that I'm wrong.

I mean, if you really want to put your neck out there for Rabach and say that he's in any way halfway decent, let alone in the same league as a Hall-Of-Fame-worthy center, then go for it.

He's absolutely terrible, and you can make the same, "Oh, we heard about other players who weren't good on teams and then had great careers" argument all day long about anyone, but it's not happening here.

And yes, I hope that I'm wrong.

My stance has is simple - if Derrick Dockery and Casey Rabach are your fourth- and fifth-best linemen, you're fine. If they're your top two (like last season once Chris Samuels and Randy Thomas went down), you're in deep trouble.

The OL more then any other unit on the team is more then the sum of the individual parts.

I don't think anyone is sayin that Casey is all-pro caliber, and there is no doubt that having a stout center would be huge benefit for any OL. But the fact that Shanahan chose to re-sign him should be seen as a vote of confidence and should elicit a stay of bashing and the acknowledgement that Rabach is at least serviceable and can provide stability for an OL in flux with 2 new members.

Also, one would have to think that Casey will benefit from having Mike Williams next to him instead a different RG every week.

“The scheme is really going to help us this year,” he continued. “The new coaches, I think, will help us this year. And obviously, the new guys we’ve added will help us out as well. Guys like Artis [Hicks], Trent [Williams] and whoever else.”

I think the biggest changes for the Redskins this season comes from the upgrade in coaching staff.

In my mind there is no question that Shanahan and Turner could have produced a more effective running given the same talent we had last year.

But, thankfully we've even improved the talent level.

Last year we had a Levi Jones and an injured Stephon Heyer which was good for 75 and 71st worst OT last years.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=T&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

Basically a warm body would be an improvement over our OTs last year and we've added 1 of the best OT in the draft and an seasoned journeyman in Hicks.

Mt stance has is simple - if Derrick Dockery and Casey Rabach are your fourth- and fifth-best linemen, you're fine. If they're your top two (like last season once Chris Samuels and Randy Thomas went down), you're in deep trouble.
Exaaaaaactly.

Good way of putting it.

Mt stance has is simple - if Derrick Dockery and Casey Rabach are your fourth- and fifth-best linemen, you're fine. If they're your top two (like last season once Chris Samuels and Randy Thomas went down), you're in deep trouble.

Well, I see your point, but I still disagree in this context. First, being fourth- or fifth-best on this line is like being fourth- or fifth-richest at the soup kitchen; it ain't nothing to brag about.

Second, when you're the center, you can't just immediately be blown back into your quarterback's face, and that's what happens consistently with Rabach. As a quarterback, if your guards or tackles screw up, then you can at least step up in the pocket and throw. With Rabach at center, it's the exact opposite. You can't see the field, there is no way to avoid the rush from the outside, and you'll have the pressure right in your face. A not-terrible center is just as important as a solid left tackle.

Maybe McNabb being a different height will help, but I feel like that's just an excuse, anyway.

Well, I see your point, but I still disagree in this context. First, being fourth- or fifth-best on this line is like being fourth- or fifth-richest at the soup kitchen; it ain't nothing to brag about.

Second, when you're the center, you can't just immediately be blown back into your quarterback's face, and that's what happens consistently with Rabach. As a quarterback, if your guards or tackles screw up, then you can at least step up in the pocket and throw. With Rabach at center, it's the exact opposite. You can't see the field, there is no way to avoid the rush from the outside, and you'll have the pressure right in your face. A not-terrible center is just as important as a solid left tackle.

Maybe McNabb being a different height will help, but I feel like that's just an excuse, anyway.

I agree with nearly everything youve said in this thread. I understand how he was dealing with lesser talent around him top to bottom but hes supposed to be a leader out there. Im not sure what he brings to the table really, he doesnt make linecalls anymore (which he might start again) but I heard he like helps with them or something. Hes undersized and far weaker than his opposition usually. He is effective once he gets to the 2nd level usually, but struggles to get up to the 2nd level. He gets penalized in absurd situations. And on top of it, he will talk about how well or hard he is playing.

This man has 2 or 3 years straight of back to back TD killing penalties. Ive seen him get a holding call on a sack given up. Dont you normally hold the opponent to prevent him from getting a sack? You cant even stop the opponent if you cheat?

Not to mention I remember how instead of being at workouts last year he instead was moving into his new house. Yeah, he was really really prepared come week 1.

Ryback is benefitting from the lack of good, cheap, proven/highly potentialled Center talent.

NC has said everything and more already that sums up my feelings perfectly on our pitifully undersized center, who often implodes the line from the inside out; and I guess a big factor in him still being around is the dirth of picks the new regimes had to work with, and a lack of quality, available vets out there.

Hopefully, Coach Mike's ZB scheme will both help and cover for Rabach's deficiencies this year. Pity he's not a-typically athletic to pull as his size might not of been as big a factor going forward in the new scheme.

Hail.

Good Call Tater. I was trying to find an article from the day to back that up and I am sure that they exist. Bositc did get the same criticism and did not dominate as one would have thought. But like Rabach he was a leader and made the right calls on blocking schemes. I also think that the talent around a center has alot to do with the performance. IF the guys around you are not doing well then all the center does is second guess himself to death.

I think it is a position worth watching and wonder how some of the back-ups will look in camp. I don't think Shanny is going to let any position go unchallenged, but I bet he wants consistency out of the center spot. So I will have to go with whatever Shanny sees and decides to do, what choice do we have.lol. Anyway the lne play won't improve dramatically unless a new and improved Rabach shows up this year. As well as with the rest of the line.

I cannot, for the life of me, understand why this team keeps glorifying mediocre players. He is not a good center, I hope to god the scheme makes him a bigger contributor, but I'm doubtful. Having his replacement on the roster would be a great move, hope failing to do so doesn't bite us in the arse.

Archived