Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm Running a Half Marathon on Saturday...***results on post 20***

SC_RedskinsFan

I have been running for again for about a year and a half, and about 4 months ago i decided that i wanted to do this. I run about 3 times a week, and usually do about 7 miles each time.

I am running it in Hickory NC, which is about 5 hours from where i live. Everywhere i looked for a half marathon to run was either in the spring or the fall.

The run starts at 7 am so it should not be to hot. My goal is to do it under 2 hours, but i think i can do it in an hour and 45 minutes, but we will see.....

Good luck! I ran one a few years ago in Charlotte, NC, about 30 min from where I live. Hope the humidity is gone that day as it can be as debilatating as the heat.

Number one rule is START SLOW first 4 miles or so. Most everyone around you is going to be running a 10K pace as that's the average mileage everyone around you has been practicing at. Let them go ahead. I promise you will pass them all later on your way to your sub 2 hrs!

I've ran 3 so far. My best time was about 1:30 in Arizona, I was on fire and felt great the whole time, never hit a wall. My most recent one in St Louis, I ran about 1:45 but that was due to lack of training. The other one in San Francisco was probably the toughest due to all of the hills, very tiring. Good Luck Man, the key is to pace yourself and run your own race.

I ran one about two years ago after doing close to zero exercise for about 5 years. I trained for about 6-7 weeks and managed it in 2hrs 5mins. I've not exactly let myself go again since but I regret not continuing the training with the same vigour.

My friend has just moved to Portugal and i'm going out to see him and do the Portugal half. It's in September. Going to be very hot...

Best of luck.

That is comforting :ols:

I guess you are not running it tomorrow?

I'm not. I have started doing sprint triathlons so I don't do the longer distances anymore.

It's a fun course, but it is tough. If they kept it exactly the same as last year, miles 4-6 on the trail are pretty tough, there is a good hill right before 8 I think and a good hill at 11. Also, the last mile up 4th street is pretty much up hill.

I just finished it! 2 hours 2 minutes and 32 seconds! 151st out of 600 people!

81 you were right it was very hilly! Good thing i did pretty much all of my training in the Lowcountry of SC :silly: where there are NO hills!!! :ols: I will do other half marathons but i am pretty sure that a marathon will not be in my future!

Congratulations ! :jump::cheers:, same time as my first semi marathon, one unlucky fellow collapsed 10 meters from the finish line of the marathon (heart attack, he is safe now). 3 weeks later I ran it in 1:50 (Geneva) with a couple of blisters. I was stupid I put on cotton socks instead of my speed metal socks.

How did you feel during the race ? any cramps ?

Archived