Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Direct TV TIVO Question

My wife just informed me that I will be missing the Giants game on Sept 21. Not to happy about it.

My question is, I 'm starting to look at getting direct tv DVR so that I could record the game. I currently have a basic direct TV system. Do I have to get a new dish along with a new receiver or do I only have to get a new receiver? Can I set it up myself? Also, how much am I looking it for this. Thanks for the help.

Tivo does not require two lines and you do not need an additional or new dish.

Tivo can handle two inputs and you won't be happy unless you have a second input run to the Tivo so you are always recording two channels at once, but, it's not a strict requirement of operation. It's merely an optional component.

You also can run the Tivo off your existing Satellite feed with the combo DirecTV/Tivo box/recorder. Now, if your existing Dish has multiple lines coming off of it, just run an extra one to your Tivo so you have the two channels. In my case I have the guest bedroom swung around to my Tivo in the family room/bar area.

If you don't have this, don't sweat it as you can add it later.

I'd call immediately and buy this and get it rolling. Like right now :).

here's best buy's link for Tivo machines:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat12085&type=page&_requestid=5560

Another option to consider is to skip the Tivo and get a dvd recorder. Phillips sells a great one on e-bay for under $500. Not only can you record anything you like, its yours permanently. I'll be recording every Skins game from here out for my personal collection. Nothing against Tivo. I hear its great. But I find Directv repeats their offerings so often, I don't really miss the flexibility Tivo offers, and I reap the benefits of being able to record digitally. Just my opinion though.

The free Phillips is an interesting combo unit. If I'm not mistaken it's also a burner so you can burn programs on your hard drive to a DVD. However, the problem with any free recorder like this is the menu guide. Integration with DirecTV allows Tivo to have all the programs and latest changes. You won't get that with the Phillips. You'll know, as an example, that there's a game on some channel, but you won't know who because those are late additions.

Now, if you know it yourself through your DirecTV guide, you can just click it and forget it. It's not a ton harder. But, the integration makes season passes and the like a little harder.

Archived