Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Insider: Shanahan noncommittal on O.J. Atogwe

flexxskins

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/shanahan-noncommittal-on-oj-at.html

If the Redskins have any interest in free agent safety O.J. Atogwe, head coach Mike Shanahan isn't tipping his hand. Atogwe, a five-year veteran, became an unrestricted free agent Wednesday when the St. Louis Rams chose not to extend him an offer.

"Well, even if I did [have interest], I wouldn't share that with you, for obvious reasons," Shanahan said. "But we're always interested to upgrade our football team and if it helped us with the right situation and the price is right and somebody's available, we're always going to look into it."

Shanahan made his comments at the conclusion of Wednesday's organized team activity (OTA). It was the squad's eighth OTA practice together, and Shanahan seems pleased with what he's seen so far.

The Redskins have some injuries that are slowly healing. Devin Thomas (hamstring) continues to practice at full speed, nose tackle Maake Kemoeatu appeared to amp up his sidework, Phillip Daniels (knee) didn't seem to miss a step, and linebacker Andre Carter was back participating.

"We limited [Carter's] reps, but it was very positive to see him go out there with the nickel and the base defense and get some reps," Shanahan said. "We just don't want to overdo it. I told him to be smart about it and he's a pretty smart guy, he's an experienced guy, so I think he'll be fine."

Click the link above for the rest of the article

the impression i got from watching the interview, was that the price for Atogwe would be a tad high considering that we already have some talent and depth at the safety position for much cheaper... or i could be completely misreading his bland response

the impression i got from watching the interview, was that the price for Atogwe would be a tad high considering that we already have some talent and depth at the safety position for much cheaper... or i could be completely misreading his bland response

You could be right, but not because of any tone or word choice that Shanahan used. That kind of vanilla answer could mean anything. There's no reading into the situation when they give us these statements. When they want us to know something, we'll know. When they don't, we won't.

I am completely committed to bringing in Atogwe. The one thing this team needs defensively is a definitive ball hawking safety who can hit.

If not then Horton but I haven't seen anything promising from Moore, and I think Doughty is more of a SS.

Crossing my fingers on this one.

Maybe it was just me, but it didn't seem like he was interested. I'd actually have to see him talk but the tone they conveyed to me screamed "Ehhhh...I ain't worried about him. Will give it a shot, but we sure as hell ain't pushing for him."

And I wonder whats been up with Landry, he's had a lot of excused absences lately...

we need a fs,wether its otogwe or not remains to ber seen.I think the skins should at the very least bring him in and then go from there.If they like what he says and shows while there then don't let him leave.They also need another tackle,at least a LT.They have 1 real tackle in williams and theres no surety that he will get it going on the left.WE also are lite on the right side as well.I figure they have been waiting on the second round of cuts to tighten up the oline.I would like to see them at lest talk to Sears and the former guard from the Eagles,if they aren't interest4eed or their problems too pronounced then just let them go and move on.I would like them to get Otogwe but what do they want.Sign him to one of those insintive contracts that gives him what he wants only if he makes the plays for it.Nothing wrong with payin people,the problem somes when like somepeople they don't play up to the contract.Well this new way with Allen is if you play up to it you get the money and no one has a problem with that.The oline is not done to me.we need help because i just can't seem them being comfortable going into the season with this oline.I know coaching helps but not that much.

And that is why all Redskin Insiders should be fired, because ever since Shanahan took ouver then we have yet yo leak any information. All the news for the Redskins on PFT and from JLC and from Jason Reid is all speculation and they have no concrete evidence ever.

The Redskins have so many Defensive linemen. The question is, why wasn't Atogwe re-signed by his last team? You have to be noncommittal to him.

Atogwe is a FS. What does the number of defensive linemen we have to do with us looking at him or not?

The point about why the Rams did not try harder to retain him is fair though. Dont forget that he missed most of last year on IR with a dislocated shoulder which needed surgery. He may have medical issues or at least doubts about the long term effects which made the Rams reluctant to commit big dollars to him.

He could still wind up with the Rams if everyone else passes on his rather inflated price tag.

Maybe he works out a more realistic deal with the Niners and goes back to his old stomping grounds of his Standford daze. Plus he still gets to pay his respects to the Lambs twice a year.

So far the teams listed by PFT as not being interested in Otogwe are:

49'ers

Vikings

Cowboy's

Listed as interested we have:

Lions

Rams

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/

Well, the Lions have already said that he is too expense. And even though he dates Mike Singletary's daughter, the 9'ers are saying 'NO'.

Sounds like, according to the following, that it is the Rams or the Dolphins.

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/6/2/1498182/oj-atogwe-free-agent-rams-vikings-dolphins

Although I like Atogwe a lot and think he would certainly be an asset to our defense, his price tag will be far too high at a position in which we already have some young guys who can contribute for much cheaper.

I've stated in other threads that I can imagine Kareem being our starter at free safety this year. A dark horse to look out for is Anderson Russell, the undrafted free agent we picked up out of Ohio State. Although undrafted, he definitely has some talent (e.g. starter at Ohio State, interceptions increased every year, etc.). He, along with Kareem, may be the only real free safeties we have on the roster, as Chris and Reed are naturally strong safeties.

Remember the last Rams Safety we thought would be a beast on this team?

Wow, I see a trend here. This is the same thing you said in the Otogwe thread in the ATN. Can you add anything more of substance or are you just going to stick to your "Remember Arch Deluxe" comment? You can say that about any position. We've signed alot of busts over the years and we'll probably sign more. It's the nature of the game. Just because one Ram didn't work out, doesn't mean another won't. Fletcher was a Ram. He worked out.

Archived