Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Jeffri Chadiha: Five moves that will work, five that won't

mikedones

Five moves that will work

1. Donovan McNabb moves to Washington: This was the biggest trade of the offseason, and it's the one with the greatest potential to shake up the NFC East. First, we have to assume that McNabb -- who spent 11 years leading the Philadelphia Eagles -- will never be more motivated for a season than he will be for this one. We also have to expect that he'll transition smoothly, because he'll still be playing quarterback for a West Coast offense and he'll be doing it under new head coach Mike Shanahan. Sure, the Redskins still have some questions to figure out at wide receiver. But we also know that McNabb thrived without great personnel at that position during most of his time in Philadelphia.

Our prediction: McNabb stabilizes a dysfunctional locker room and leads the Skins to 10 victories.

2. Brandon Marshall goes to Miami: Marshall might have been a huge pain in the you-know-what during his one year with Denver Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels. There's one key difference about Marshall heading into this season: His bank account is now much bigger than it ever was with the Broncos. Armed with a new $47.5 million contract extension and a team coveting a true No. 1 receiver, Marshall only needs to focus on producing. That shouldn't be a problem, given his track record. The man has caught at least 100 passes in each of has past three seasons. He changed games for Denver when his head was in the right place in 2009.

Our prediction: Don't worry about his minor offseason hip surgery. Marshall will surpass the 100-catch mark again this season and help the Dolphins balance a run-heavy offense.

Five moves that won't work

1. Jason Campbell goes to Oakland: I like Campbell's resolve. I think he's gotten a raw deal in this league because the former Washington Redskins quarterback has played for so many different offensive coordinators and in so many different systems. I also don't believe he has a chance of turning his career around with the Raiders. Campbell doesn't have an aggressive enough personality to take charge of that dysfunctional locker room. He can't count on his current coaches sticking around beyond this season (since owner Al Davis has hired five head coaches in the past eight years). Right now, there's no question that Campbell is an upgrade over his predecessor, Jamarcus Russell. What Campbell isn't, however, is the type of player who can make a difference in the lost world that is the Oakland Raiders.

Our prediction: Campbell produces solid numbers as the Raiders limp through another season with double-digit losses.

2. LaDainian Tomlinson lands with the New York Jets: For all the splashy moves the Jets have made this offseason, this is the one with the most potential to disappoint. Somebody please tell me what Tomlinson gives the Jets that former running back Thomas Jones -- who was released earlier this offseason -- doesn't. Jones ran for 1,402 yards and 14 touchdowns last season while L.T. gained 730 and averaged 3.3 yards per carry. Maybe the Jets thought Jones wouldn't embrace the idea of taking a backseat to second-year runner Shonn Greene. Maybe they saw Tomlinson as a big name who still brings professionalism and presence to any locker room. What can't be debated, however, is how this will play out in the end. Bottom line: L.T. simply ain't what he used to be.

Our prediction: Greene won't have to worry about losing his job any time soon.

Rest of article http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=chadiha_jeffri&id=5242011

I'd switch Marshall with Tomlinson there. The Jets had the leagues top rushing yards per game, and have all the tools around him to be successful. Marshall is going into a pretty bad passing offense in Miami, and while I think he will still be good in Miami he doesn't have the same supporting cast that fits his play that Tomlinson does.

Poor, poor, deluded Oakland fans. Couldn't happen to a bigger bunch of *******s. This made me want to take a peak over at their forum.

http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/oakland-raiders-forum-message-board/165974-qb-play-we-can-actually-look-forward.html

When pressured, he doesn't just fumble the ball and fall down.
A QB hitting his WR's in stride. What a concept.
redskins were dumb to get rid of this guy and the raiders were smart to pick him up. mcnabb will be no better than campbell, but probably worse. i guy just makes plays. which is what we need. no magic there, just get it done. find the open reciever, deliver it ontime where the reciever can catch it and whalla, a catch and move the chains
I love his pocket awareness. Has a great internal clock telling him when to release the ball.

:hysterical:

Has anyone signed up on the Raiders site to dispute these posts? They are comical. That is what we hoped Jason would do when he first started with us.

Wow...I don't even have words for those posts...so delusional. It's histerical!

Its almost as if...as Al Davis' mental capacity for football diminishs with age, so does the entire fan-base...

I really wish I cared enough to create an account on that messageboard and debate with them. It would be hilarious.

All of those things they are talking about, they are literally his worst attributes, the things he never learned to do at all.

They even said because we lost alot of close games that they will shock people. Hello, Campbell was not the only reason for the close games. Our top 10 defense kept us in alot of games. We were in close games because Campbell couldn't lead the offense to scores. And LOL at them saying Zack Miller is better than Chris Cooley.

good article. interesting to see jason on the other side of it.

Personally, that says more about the Raiders than it does about Campbell. I don't think it matters much if you are a great leader or not at the QB position if you don't have the leadership from the head coaching position on up.

At least with Campbell they got a guy who's going to work hard and give it everything he's got. That in itself is going to be an upgrade for them. Whether or not it is going to be enough to counteract the other problems that have been endemic to that organization for years is another question.

As for McNabb, there is no doubt that the trade shakes up the NFC East. As for what form that will take, that's still a question.

Oh, the Black Hole's gona' be in for one Hell of a black Sunday rude awakening that first home game.

I guess you never saw Russell play. Campbell will look like a HOFer in comparison.

Poor, poor, deluded Oakland fans. Couldn't happen to a bigger bunch of *******s. This made me want to take a peak over at their forum.

http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/oakland-raiders-forum-message-board/165974-qb-play-we-can-actually-look-forward.html

Do you just wait at your computer for threads that mention Jason Campbell? I don't understand why you seem to actually root against him.

Nah bud. Not deluded. They are just getting over having an ACTUAL terrible QB. Not a mediocre one that ES'ers like to pretend is the worst in the NFL. QB envy is a helluva a thing...

And yeah. Thank god its over.

Archived