Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Apple boss Steve Jobs defends conditions at Chinese factory where 10 workers have jumped to their deaths

Thiebear

Imagine 10 people jump to their death at your work and its ONLY 5 months.

Heck, 2 people get fired from the same cubicle people don't want to sit there...

'For a factory, it's pretty nice': Apple boss Steve Jobs defends conditions at Chinese factory where 10 workers have jumped to their deaths

By Daily Mail Reporter

Last updated at 12:00 PM on 2nd June 2010

article-0-095C8EBD000005DC-651_233x330.jpg Apple CEO Steve Jobs has defended conditions at the firm's Chinese factories

Apple boss Steve Jobs has spoken out for the first time about a string of suicides at one of the firm's Chinese factories.

Since January this year 10 young workers have killed themselves by jumping from the roof of the factory building at Foxconn in southern China.

Jobs today described the worker's deaths as 'troubling' but insisted that the factory 'is not a sweatshop'.

'It's a difficult situation,' he said at the All Things Digital conference, an annual gathering of A-list technology and media executives in California

'We're trying to understand right now, before we go in and say we know the solution.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1283389/Apple-boss-Steve-Jobs-defends-China-Foxconn-factory-conditions-10-suicides.html

I would say you have a problem if you have to install nets:

article-0-09DA1EAE000005DC-167_468x317.jpg

So when does this become public, and douchebag Apple users stop pretending that Steve Jobs is their messiah and Gates is the devil? I got nothing against Apple products, but I'm afraid I can't afford the mandatory D-bag install that comes with each piece of equipment purchased.

So when does this become public, and douchebag Apple users stop pretending that Steve Jobs is their messiah and Gates is the devil? I got nothing against Apple products, but I'm afraid I can't afford the mandatory D-bag install that comes with each piece of equipment purchased.

haha tell us what you really feel ....

"You go in this place and it's a factory but, my gosh, they've got restaurants and movie theatres and hospitals and swimming pools. For a factory, it's pretty nice,' he said."

That explains it. Looks like they're about as excited about the upcoming Twilight movie in China as we are here.

The thing is people loved Apple because it wasn't mainstream and was different than Microsoft. Now Apple is just as big, if not bigger than Microsoft and some of the "fanboys" don't see that. I don't have anything against Apple, I just get tired of all their "fanboys" telling me how great their stuff is. Really, what does your $1000 MacBook do that my $600 HP laptop can't? And don't tell me your computer can't get viruses because Macs can.

There's 400,000 people in that factory so it's a given some are going to go crazy. Besides manufacturing jobs are some of the most tedious, soul draining, labor intensive around.

I visited some textile factories near Shanghai, it's like turn of the century work conditions. 10 hour a day for 6 days, although the wages are pretty good from what I'm told.

D'bag apple user here. :rolleyes:

It doesn't sound to me like he is defending anything. He described the factory as what it is and said they are trying to understand it.

It's a difficult situation,' he said at the All Things Digital conference, an annual gathering of A-list technology and media executives in California

'We're trying to understand right now, before we go in and say we know the solution.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1283389/Apple-boss-Steve-Jobs-defends-China-Foxconn-factory-conditions-10-suicides.html#ixzz0piZE4cOm

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=auax4MA0waU8&pos=7

Apple Inc. Chief Executive Officer Steve Jobs said his company is “all over” Foxconn Technology Group to end the spate of suicides at the contract manufacturer of the iPhone.

“It’s very troubling,” Jobs said yesterday during an on- stage interview at a technology conference in Rancho Palos Verdes, California. Foxconn, also known as Hon Hai Group, is “not a sweatshop,” Jobs said in his first public remarks on the deaths.

Foxconn announced today it will raise wages by at least 30 percent, more than it indicated last week, as the 10 deaths this year threaten to tarnish the image of computers and other products made by its workers. Apple, Hewlett-Packard Co. and Dell Inc.

So Mr GhostofSparta, what's your opinion of Hewlett-Packard and Dell? And FYI, being a douchbag is about the way you act, not what kind of computer you own. I suggest you buy a mirror.

I am not going to bash Jobs for this problem. He is obviously doing something about it. I think using this situation to bash Apple and Jobs is pretty pathetic.

I thought the nets color was a little much myself.

But yeah, he's doing something.

LOL, I am no Apple fan but Foxconn produces iPads, iPhones, Xbox 360s, Sony PS3s, Nintendo Wiis, Dell, and HP products, and many other consumer electronics devices. They make pretty much every amazing modern consumer electronics device on the market. Steve Jobs is merely the first to respond to this problem and now Apple is being slammed. The fact is Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, HP, and Dell all use the same factory.

LOL, I am no Apple fan but Foxconn produces iPads, iPhones, Xbox 360s, Sony PS3s, Nintendo Wiis, Dell, and HP products, and many other consumer electronics devices. They make pretty much every amazing modern consumer electronics device on the market. Steve Jobs is merely the first to respond to this problem and now Apple is being slammed. The fact is Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, HP, and Dell all use the same factory.

How can all those companies use the same factory? How big is this factory?

So Mr GhostofSparta, what's your opinion of Hewlett-Packard and Dell? And FYI, being a douchbag is about the way you act, not what kind of computer you own. I suggest you buy a mirror.

I own a Dell. And I'm not a D-bag, I'm an A-hole. :pfft: I base my Apple experiences off of college students (being that I'm only 2 years removed, and since I don't work ina place that talks about computers, I've had no interactions about computers since then), so I admit I have a very skewed sample size, college students being known D-bags, A-holes, and other assorted names. So they made me sick of every Apple users (since 90% of college kids own Macs so they can play games in class) acting like their **** don't stink.

But back on topic, I love the nets in that picture near the beginning of the thread. Don't tell me that's their actual solution?

I don't understand the reaction. These things will happen with the rigorous product quality testing that Chinese made merchandise typically undergoes :evilg:.

Some people can jump off a building with a bunch of electronics (dropped call testing) and survive, and a small number (obviously) cannot. It's that simple. :silly:

I own a Dell. And I'm not a D-bag, I'm an A-hole. :pfft: I base my Apple experiences off of college students (being that I'm only 2 years removed, and since I don't work ina place that talks about computers, I've had no interactions about computers since then), so I admit I have a very skewed sample size, college students being known D-bags, A-holes, and other assorted names. So they made me sick of every Apple users (since 90% of college kids own Macs so they can play games in class) acting like their **** don't stink.

But back on topic, I love the nets in that picture near the beginning of the thread. Don't tell me that's their actual solution?

Um what? If Apple was that high a percentage they still wouldn't lag in sales. And when has mac been used for gaming?

Um what? If Apple was that high a percentage they still wouldn't lag in sales. And when has mac been used for gaming?

90% own mac to play games, not 90% own macs. At least, that's what I assume the poster means.

90% own mac to play games, not 90% own macs. At least, that's what I assume the poster means.

Boy if that's true things sure have changed. The Mac used to suck for gaming. A lot of games were only available to PC users. The Mac had the cool kid artsy thing going for it.

Archived